Wii version?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Endolaylith

Wii version?

Postby Endolaylith » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi all,

I have enjoyed this game on pc but found the coop controls too much of a bother to set up. however i may have a solution.

If shadow grounds were ported to the nintendo wii console with it's multi IR cursor controls set up for the aiming it would be so ausome! i mean it's almost like shadow ground was designed to work on the wii controls. I would definitely buy a copy of this game on the wii. Imagine 4 player coop games for 8 hours all working well on one screen. the console hardware could definitely support the game.

another bonus would be that this game should feel more natural using the wii controls and is the kind of game Nintendo fans enjoy. In my opinion of the current gaming market and consumer habits, shadow grounds would most likely sell more on the wii than it ever did on pc.

It couldent be that difficult to port over could it?
at least i hope :D

so tell me what u guys think :D

Blitzkrieg

Re: Wii version?

Postby Blitzkrieg » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:54 pm

Endolaylith wrote:the console hardware could definitely support the game.

Are you sure of that? The Wii hardware isn't pretty strong... Many computers have more power than the Wii (and probably your if you run Shadowgrounds at max details like I do). The Xbox360 or PS3 would have no problem running Shadowgrounds (if it is ever ported to these consoles) but the Wii is something else... And it would require a lot of coding with new programs (a Wii doesn't work like a PC) but I agree that if Frozenbyte's team do that, it could be an awesome coop mode.

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:59 pm

I think wii could run shadowgrounds without many problems, but you can't realy compare computer and consoles hardware (computers must have more system power; operating system, other backround programs) Also console games are usually very well optimised for that specific console. And besides Shadowgrounds does run on bit slower computers.
Then it's complitely another story if Frozenbyte is going to port it to wii. They would most likely need to rewrite most of the game to get it to work on wii and to optimise it.

is the kind of game Nintendo fans enjoy. In my opinion of the current gaming market and consumer habits, shadow grounds would most likely sell more on the wii than it ever did on pc.

I agree on that. :)

It could still be posible to use Wii's wiimote to play Shadowgrouds, there is few videos on youtube showing how to use wiimote on windows (and few play HL2), so it could be possible to use them as controlers, it could need someone to code for new drivers for it but it could work, perhaps not as good as it would work on wii. :)
Facts can be changed.

Endolaylith

Postby Endolaylith » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 am

Yes, windows api and direct3D modules waste allot of processing power. If u stripped all the windows garbage out from the game u could easily run shadowgrounds on the wii. in addition, graphics processing wouldn't be too much to ask of the hardware since the Wii runs on 480p at best. From what i can tell the Wii is very easy to develop with too.

If they ever do make a Wii port i would be going crazy out and stashing some crash away for it's release date.

But in the end, they will most likely never read this thread. So i think this idea is nothing than an exiting dream :P

maybe someone will start a petition, who knows.

-------
As for the wiimotes on pc, it doesn't work properly on windows. only with linux. so unless someone makes a real drives for windows that can also use the nunchuk it's kind of useless.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Actually "they" seem to read these boards quite frequently.

I think that releasing shadowgrounds on Wii is quite distant possibility. I have to agree that the game could work for Wii'ish people, but shadowgrounds draws much influences from old PC gaming and therefore should draw people from PC gaming scene.

And that despite that frozenbyte is developing shadowgrounds 2, it is still, by all respect, a quite small company. Advancing to Wii would be quite a leap for them. But then again, everything is possible.

But in my most honest opinion, shadowgrounds is THE shadowgrounds for PC. :P

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:11 pm

Wait! Did someone said something about Wii controllers used with Windows and Half-Life 2!!? If that's the case, just plug said controllers on PC and PC on TV ;)

By the way, my littlebrother sold his light motorcycle and bought Xbox 360 and Philips 32" LCD TV. I'm gonna buy couple console style controllers for PC and have fun!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:25 pm

We do read the boards. :) (I have a heavy backlog of emails though, so I haven't replied to some yet.)

I can say that there's no immediate plans to port Shadowgrounds to Wii. It's not an easy job to do and it's a huge financial risk. Creating games for consoles is also quite different than PC development and eventhough Wii is easier to develop for than say, PS3, it's still a different beast (and there's Nintendo's approval processes and so on). And while I'm no programmer, I would imagine Wii would have trouble with Shadowgrounds's lighting effects and the flashlight.

Sega's upcoming Alien Syndrome for Wii should ease your pain a little though, and using the Wiimote on PC might be quite cool too (have to try it one day!).

Matti, you know you can use Xbox 360 controllers with PC? They're great. (Actually you should buy at least one "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" so you get the Windows XP drivers for it, but the controllers themselves are the same.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Does Xbox 360 controller need adapter for it or can it be blucked straight to usb?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Straight to usb. It just needs the Windows XP drivers to work. (Xbox 360 uses regular usb connection too for controllers.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:34 pm

fb_joel wrote:Matti, you know you can use Xbox 360 controllers with PC? They're great. (Actually you should buy at least one "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" so you get the Windows XP drivers for it, but the controllers themselves are the same.)

Really!? :o

I was going to buy wire X360 controller in the first place for my brother as christmas gift. Does wireless controller work with PC too? And what do I buy for my sister? (she already bought Sims 2 for Xbox herself, and remote controller of DVD videos was bough year ago).

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:34 pm

The Wireless Controller doesn't work with PCs yet. Microsoft will release an adapter in the future but I just checked it last week and its release date was "TBD" (to be determined). So if you're going to buy an Xbox 360 controller, you should probably buy the "for Windows" version and then you can use it with both PC and X360.

Maybe someone else can give some tips about what to buy your sister, I'm out of ideas. :)

(Well, Viva Pinata for X360 might actually be a good game for her, but of course it costs quite a bit like all games these days.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:30 am

fb_joel wrote:Maybe someone else can give some tips about what to buy your sister, I'm out of ideas. :)

(Well, Viva Pinata for X360 might actually be a good game for her, but of course it costs quite a bit like all games these days.)

Did I just tell in previous post she has Xbox? Yes I did! And Joel here is offering game of wrong console :x

Anyways I found gift: Hitchcock's Psycho trilogy! I'm going wish her merry christmas and merry dreams :twisted:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:20 pm

Oh heh sorry. And a good choice anyway... Maybe. :lol:
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Wahoo9221

Postby Wahoo9221 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 pm

I too would like to see Shadowgrounds make some sort of console invasion. I think it could be connected with the right ppl in order to get the game to the 360 and maybe PS3. I think a Wii version is very unlikely. I am assumning this becuase Frozenbyte is dealing with valve, and valve is moving a lot of their games to the PS3 and 360, namely the 360 which is now getting "Left 4 Dead." from Valve. But yea, porting the game is easier said then done. If I had to pick a console that would most likely get it, I would say the 360. It has the power, and valve seems to be pretty close with Microsoft. Would I be correct in my assumption, or am I just blowing steam?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:49 am

Valve is just distributing Shadowgrounds in Steam, there's nothing more to that. Steam has lately opened up for "third party" developers and now you can find quite a diverse line-up of games there. We're not using Valve's Source engine either.

Xbox 360 is, in general, the easiest console platform to develop for if the developer has a PC background (like us). 360 would also seem to be the most powerful of the new consoles or at least close to that, so it could certainly run Shadowgrounds.

But again, there's no immediate plans to port Shadowgrounds to any console, mostly because of business reasons that are pretty much out of our hands. I wouldn't rule out a console possibility in the future for new Shadowgrounds games but right now we're totally focused on PC.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Wahoo9221

Postby Wahoo9221 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:53 am

Well now I learned something, thanks for the info.

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:04 am

Wahoo9221 wrote:or am I just blowing steam?

:lol:

Anyways did you know that Xbox 360 controller is available for PC too? I think it has been mentioned around... Anyways I bought that one for my brother for christmas present (it works with console too) and we gave a try for it with Shadowgrounds.

I had keyboard, mouse & 17" monitor, my bro had controller & 32" LCD TV. There were some issues with getting controller work, but we managed it as you might expect: movement with left thumbstick, turning around with right one. I didn't try controller (yet), but it seemed work as supposed to. Problem with keyboard & mouse was that whenever my bro moved around, he also moved my crosshair! Not sure (yet) does this go other way around...

Viherkaali

Postby Viherkaali » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:16 pm

Or then just make a Shadowgrounds minigame, and sell it on the Microsofts Live Arcade :)

dofry

Postby dofry » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:16 pm

I just made a new thread in the finnish section about porting this game to the PS3. Guess next time I should pay more attention to these threads.

I see PSN and Live as good platforms to make this great game available to more people. Specifically due to the nature of purchasing made easy. In the other thread I talked about Stardust HD which made a nice impact on the PS3 side, when released. A game that would not normally make a huge splash on store shelves.
Think about it. I would definitely buy it, if released.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah we're obviously following the XBLA and PS3 Network very closely. But nothing to announce so far and you shouldn't expect such announcements very soon either. Survivor PC is the focus right now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds”