No ingame save ?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.

No ingame save ?

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:47 pm

I heard that you cant save ingame is this true ?

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:01 pm

Checkpoint systems are way better than saving when you like since you tend to save after every hard point which makes the game boring. I'm sure most mature people will agree.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:26 pm

Misacorp wrote:I'm sure most mature people will agree.

What's that suppose to mean ? :?
I think im old enough and I wanted to see quicksave too. :P

masasa

Postby masasa » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:

What's that suppose to mean ? :?
I think im old enough and I wanted to see quicksave too. :P

He is just being a fanboy. :)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:26 pm

Excuse me but that’s BS, this game needs a save system added to it and I can give a perfect example right now. The 2nd mission so far up to this point the game has run flawless but once I got towards the end going thru the area with the cat walks with all the water it Lags so fricking badly that it drags the system down to a complete crawl and its only in this area. This area is so un optimized it isn’t even funny. Died only because of lag and having respawns with a limited number is BS. And to top it off I cant even go in change my Video setting to see if turning down the settings while in game helps or not. So I’m left with restarting it all over again only because there is no in game saves. What a crock of crap this game is turning out to be. and it has a really good premise and is fun but if all its going to do is lag out like this through out the game then I’m taking it back because I’m sure not going to play it lagging my way though. And before you all start on the get a better video Card; I do have a kickass card a GForce 6800 GT.

Berserker

Postby Berserker » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Shadowgrounds doesn't really need such a quicksave system. It is none of those goddamned frustrating games, the only point is, you've got to finish a level, once started, but for a gaming-freak like me, there's no hellofa problem. And, come on guy, restarting level 2 is really no problem, it's a pretty small level. (I got the same problem on the catwalk, but as soon as you crossed it, the game runs pretty smooth)

I found the game more thrilling without the ability to save.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:47 am

just giving all the options(quicksave & checkpoint) to gamers is the best solution

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:40 am

Anonymous wrote:And before you all start on the get a better video Card; I do have a kickass card a GForce 6800 GT.

I think there's problem with your video card drivers. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (I think it is your GeForce is a better one) and that waterplace runs fine.

However, I do have one place in The Mines level that lags like hell. I'd like to see it fixed, but that place doesn't make me think I need a better saving system.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:03 pm

Gamers are whiners, making games hard is a thing of the past. Now a days people dont want to see the "game over" signt, they want to breeze through a game and feel good about themselves.

I'm all for hard games, but my experience as a developer tells me you need either mid level saves or checkpoints.

Other that that, great game guys!

lator

Postby lator » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Well, I'm not very mature, but I do agree, even though this is a freking old post :P

But a tough guy doesn't need even checkpoints, just play level by level with no saving. And the levels are quite short, so it shouldn't be a problem with the respawning system.

E: A lot of typos
Last edited by lator on Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

But...

Postby But... » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 pm

I would like to have a quicksave-, a checkpoint- or atleast some kind of exit and save system... u know for example the one like Operation Flashpoint has... when u exit from that game the game saves ur progress and u can continue ur game from that point when u wanna play again... but if u die u cannot resume gaming from that point...

Without anykind of save system u cannot exit the game whenever u want... u have to play through an entire level in order to save ur progress and 'cause u do not know how much longer the level lasts it is pretty frustrating just to play cause u wanna save ur progress so that u do not have to play that level again...

Great game anyways though...

sd

checkpoint

Postby sd » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Misacorp wrote:Checkpoint systems are way better than saving when you like since you tend to save after every hard point which makes the game boring. I'm sure most mature people will agree.

Is 26 years of gaming (no, i am not 26y old) of around 200 games not mature enough :wink:

Seriously speaking, people who use saves for that are getting what they want. You can save doom/quake etc. in the hard place and you can be in god mode and you get rid of your game soon. If you want. Thats the freedom of choice.

If otoh you have only an hour to spare every now and then you cannot seriously play this game because you have to devote yourself 100% to the succesful completetion of the level. Nothing imho is more frustrating than playing level x for an hour, turning computer off and return after couple of days of going the level again hearing same cutscenes, having monsters in same locations etc... again and again.

Imho there should be at least more frequent checkpoints like when mission is updated.

As it stands now, this is a great game and reminds me of duke nukem and some other classics and could become cult classic of a kind, but unfurtunatedly the save system makes playing this unrealistic to me.

Sad.

SD

Dark

Postby Dark » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:19 pm

I have to agree with you SD, some of those multi ended missions that are seriously long need some type of in between save points. I was on mission and though ahh the end finally then was presented with another part of the mission. I was like damn this is kewl but how about a save so I can at least stop here and come back. I can give an example of why in game saves are needed. I get 90 mins a day for a lunch break go home make some soup sit down to play a mission. the mission was sooo long that I had to hit escape and then alt tab out go back to work then come back home and finish the mission hoping that it did not crash or mess up before I got back home. I hate bust on this game when its a lot of fun to play but some in game saving relief is defiantly needed. So lets go Joel please make some changes. And add some LAN Coop too while your at it :)

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:46 pm

I think it's a good thing that you can't do the good old save-load-save-load trick # not having it makes the game much more exciting. I don't agree with the statement that you should be able to save/load and play the game the way you want. If you think about it for a while, it isn't that simple. It would definitely ruin the experience at least some people. I know I would save constantly if I'd had the option # breaking/diminishing the illusion of "being there" and messing up the difficulty the game designers had planned (although surely they would have prepared for load/save though :)).

However, it does suck that you can't stop playing the game whenever you want to without losing some of your progress. I think a perfect yet simple enough solution would be to transparently (noticing the player of course) save the game when you exit and load it when you continue later. Even better, saving the game automatically frequently enough as you progress would help you with random crashes and similar problems.

Anyway as simple as it sounds it isn't always very easy to save the game state, especially if you haven't prepared for it in earlier phases of design. I do not know what is the case with Shadowgrounds.

Dark

Postby Dark » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 pm

You know I’m going to get a little rude here not that I want too but because I have too. Screw you and your ruin the experience, that’s what’s nice about choice you can either choose to save the game and continue on or you can choose to be hard Corps and not save your game and continue on. This same debate came out a few years ago when Aliens Vs Predator was released and you know what they added a save game feature because the overwhelming response was give us a save game feature. Plus there’s one thing that will also put a dent in this games review and I’ve seen and read it hundreds of times when developers opt to not allow players to save the game as they wish it lowers the over all score when reviews put in their reviews of the game and hit it on the lack of a save feature.
If you don’t believe me wait and see when the reviews start coming out. Plus the fact is I don’t have time to sit and redo missions over and over because I got killed in a area and was not able too reload a save game that would have avoided this in the first place. This is a game not real life where making decision on a daily basis effect the out comes of my decisions. It’s A game, so get over it games should have the ability to save as you please. For those of us that don’t have countless hours to sit and replay a mission over and over like some of you that has no life and sits and plays games all day long.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:58 pm

I agree with Dark. Time is most important constraint for me, too. I'm in my 20's and have a real life, too :)

ABC123

Postby ABC123 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:16 am

Dark, why do you play games if you have no time to devote to them?
Also not every game can be the same.
Some games do just fine without a saving/loading whenever you want system.
The only thing SG needs in my opinion is lan coop + saving progress when you quit the game.
No other saving system imo.
Games should be challenging, not some pushover runthrough in 20 minutes.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:13 pm

ABC123 wrote:The only thing SG needs in my opinion is lan coop + saving progress when you quit the game.

I agree whit that. SG isn't even that hard u would have to save game when u r plaing it, except the mines level there where u must use that digger thing always when I loaded my minigun there enemys just spawned somewhere and killer me and couldn't shoot them cause minigun wasn't reloaded fast enough :? :( but lucky me I did have 1 respawn when i faced the boss of taht level and that was enough to kill it and I haven't have to restart any level yet and I'm plaing whit medium difficult level and now I'm on mothership part1(I got SG yester day and haven'y yet plaied it trought).

Dark

Postby Dark » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:52 pm

ABC123 you are missing the point, I don’t have time to run through the same scenario over and over. Plus there are a ton of other games out there that are worth checking out so again I don’t have time to spend rehashing a mission when I can simply move on to the next one with the option of saving my game. And let me also point out that using a game pad is not very accurate when trying to kill bugs. You end up being about 30 percent less accurate then you are with a mouse with also causes you to expend a lot more ammo. This is where if you screw up on a part of the game it can easily be reloaded with minimal damage. So go on living in your little world of denial while most of the real world of gamers all know that any good game should have a save system setup. to me this game currently acts like a console game where what you see is what you get.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:55 am

I'm confused. What does the limited respawns mean? If those run out, do I have to start the whole game over or do I start over the same level with no guns or something?

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 am

Never died so many times in Shadowgrounds that I would have run out of respawns. At least you have to start the level from the beginning.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:05 pm

Dark et all, whatever, comparing to avp is not fair because that game is actually damn hard. It would be great if you could just choose another game as I'd very much like to play more games like this. Do you guys know any?

I didn't find Shadowgrounds too hard. I co-opped it through with my friend though, I'm not sure how they've balanced it for multiple players. We had to restart a level once # which I think is just ok. Completing the game took around 7 hours or so.

I love it how the levels are huge and most times you don't actually have to visit each spot on the map, this gives you sense of freedom. Combined with the check point save system this really builds up the atmosphere. At several occations when I was low on health and ammo, I was actually afraid of going somewhere off the path and tried to plan a safe route to the next objective point. I was actually AFRAID a bit. If I had the save-whenever-you-want I damn sure would have saved and loaded # probably without feeling a thing. You'd have absolutely nothing to lose (but time). This has nothing to do with having no life or having life, although it's always amusing how some people bring that up as an argument.

However, this is just my point of view. It would be funny to see this thing voted. It's usually that you'll just hear the negative things complained, not complementing the things the developers actually got right.

Still, it would be great if you could save on exit :)

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:18 pm

OK I finally got the game and I've played 4 levels on Medium difficulty and died once, not too bad tomorrow I'll try that level again. The respawn system is pretty unique I've never seen one before and by far I like it.

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:29 am

Respawning system may be unique but not revolutionary. I think there should be a bigger penalty if you manage to die. At least in the hard difficulty level. Maybe there could be less respawns?

Return to “Shadowgrounds”