No character starting Trine 2 with gamepad

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
sunnybubblegum

No character starting Trine 2 with gamepad

Postby sunnybubblegum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 am

Looking around the forum, I actually found someone with the same problem as mine (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14537). However, the post ultimately proved unhelpful for me.

Here's what happens. I launch Trine 2, and I can use my controller in the menus. However, once I begin the part where you actually start playing, a strange thing happens. There is no character on the screen where he should be. The background visuals and music are fully alive. But I can neither interact nor advance. All I can do is access the menu and navigate it.

When I launch the program and begin a game using the mouse and keyboard, I have a character and I can play normally.

I'm using a Logitech Dual Action controller (wired) that I got around 2007. My OS is Ubuntu 12.04. I bought the game through Steam. I have other Steam games that work well with the gamepad.

Thank you and beautiful game!
Last edited by sunnybubblegum on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

FB_Esa

Re: No character starting Trine 2 with gamepad

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi sunnybubblegum,

Have you followed FB_Jussi's instructions in the other topic?
Can you tell us the spesific type of gamepad you have? It should display it in the back of the controller.

sunnybubblegum

Postby sunnybubblegum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi FB_Esa,

My gamepad is a Logitech Dual Action G-UF13A. It doesn't seem to have a 'switch' like FB_JussiE describes. The closest thing to this could be one of the buttons named 'mode', which lights up if turned on. But I don't think that's it.

Regardless, I tried starting the game with the 'mode' button turned both on and off. I also tried unplugging and replugging the device during gameplay. None of this made any difference. Still no character, still no gamepad in-game.

sunnybubblegum

Postby sunnybubblegum » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:38 am

Here is my console output when I launch Trine 2 from Steam and do a few things.

Using only the gamepad, I: resume my game, press every available button, access the menu (L2 button), go into the control setup options, exit my game, then quit the game in general.

Once again, I have no character on the fully animated background, no control (even with keyboard and mouse) and the music is playing too.

Code: Select all

Failed to load installscript /home/nicholas/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Trine 2/installscript.vdf
Game update: AppID 35720 "Trine 2", ProcID 5494, IP 0.0.0.0:0

(steam:5360): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:5360): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout
Game removed: AppID 35720 "Trine 2", ProcID 5494

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
Generating new string page texture 113: 128x256, total string texture memory is 2.55 MB
Game update: AppID 35720 "", ProcID 5512, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20130214025819_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
[0214/195640:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Game removed: AppID 35720 "", ProcID 5512

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am

sunnybubblegum wrote:Here is my console output when I launch Trine 2 from Steam and do a few things.

Using only the gamepad, I: resume my game, press every available button, access the menu (L2 button), go into the control setup options, exit my game, then quit the game in general.

Once again, I have no character on the fully animated background, no control (even with keyboard and mouse) and the music is playing too.

Does pressing F1 create a new character?

-JLarja

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 am

sunnybubblegum wrote:Hi FB_Esa,

My gamepad is a Logitech Dual Action G-UF13A. It doesn't seem to have a 'switch' like FB_JussiE describes. The closest thing to this could be one of the buttons named 'mode', which lights up if turned on. But I don't think that's it.

Regardless, I tried starting the game with the 'mode' button turned both on and off. I also tried unplugging and replugging the device during gameplay. None of this made any difference. Still no character, still no gamepad in-game.

Most likely you have directinput gamepad which isn't supported. If you don't have the switch on the back then you can't change DInput to Xinput. The mode button that you described only changes the D-pad and left analog stick positions.

Our game supports limited types of gamepads as we don't have the resources or the manpower to support them all :(

Ps. We haven't tried this but i found this one program in logitech support forums that supposedly lets you use Dinput gamepads and the program converts it into XInput. It can be found here

sunnybubblegum

Postby sunnybubblegum » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:49 am

JLarja: Yes, pressing F1 creates a new character. However I cannot control it with the gamepad.

FB_Esa: Thanks for your help. It's too bad my gamepad is not supported natively. But I realize your team is doing the best they can. I will look into the program you recommended.

Out of curiosity, which controller(s) do you recommend using with Trine 2 that work natively (Xinput)?

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:25 am

sunnybubblegum wrote:JLarja: Yes, pressing F1 creates a new character. However I cannot control it with the gamepad.

FB_Esa: Thanks for your help. It's too bad my gamepad is not supported natively. But I realize your team is doing the best they can. I will look into the program you recommended.

Out of curiosity, which controller(s) do you recommend using with Trine 2 that work natively (Xinput)?

One that certainly works "out of the box" is usually default Xbox360-gamepad with a cord. There are few others but thats the one that has never given us any problems.

Let us know how the program works :)

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 am

sunnybubblegum wrote:Out of curiosity, which controller(s) do you recommend using with Trine 2 that work natively (Xinput)?

XInput defines directions and meanings of axises and buttons, so any XInput gamepad will work (you should be able to play even with e.g. Rock Band guitar, although that would be rather limited).

Default binds for DirectInput gamepads are based on Logitech (Cordless) RumblePad 2. However, there's no way of knowing if some controller X happens to have same button and axis arrangements or not. Considering that nowadays many games don't support any DirectInput gamepads at all, it's very hard to recommend anything but XInput compatibles.

-JLarja

sunnybubblegum

Postby sunnybubblegum » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 am

Thank you both for your replies.

It seems the program that was recommended is not meant for Linux, which is what I am using. I appreciate the suggestion though.

I'm now looking at investing in a good XInput gamepad that will work with Linux. The Xbox 360 wired and the Logitech F710 controllers seem the most widely supported/recommended, both for Steam games and for new releases in general.

Thank you for all of your help, and I look forward to playing Trine 2 with a gamepad!

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”