water cannon sound in Goblin Menace

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
veepee

water cannon sound in Goblin Menace

Postby veepee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey.

I'm playing the Goblin Menace levels in Trine 2 via Steam in Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit.

There's an audio related bug affecting the water cannons that you can use to kinda levitate and put out fires in the first level of Goblin Menace. Maybe later levels too, but i haven't got that far yet.

What happens is that the sound those water cannons make is so loud that all other sounds are drowned out and i have to lower the volume to almost muted state because i'm worried for my speakers / headphones. And it's most definetly not just me being sensitive or anything, the difference in loudness to everything else is huge. The loud noise kicks in a bit before a water cannon is on screen, just like how sounds in general fade in and out in the game. But this one is insanely loud even when it initially kicks in from a distance.

I just finished playing the base game through for the second time before starting Goblin Menace, and there was nothing out of the ordinary realting to sound loudness in any of those levels.

Can anyone confirm this? Could probably be a pulse audio bug as well.

FB_Esa

Re: water cannon sound in Goblin Menace

Postby FB_Esa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 am

Hello veepee,

We noticed this issue ourselves as well and we are looking in to the problem.
Thanks for reporting it though :)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi there,
I'm still experiencing this problem. Was this issue fixed at some point or are you aware that it is still open?

I played through Trine 1+2 in one swoop. No issues, ran perfect! But I have to stop now at Goblin Menace, because that sound is really annoying, gives me a headache.

Let me know is you need further information!

Thanks!

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:18 am

Jeff wrote:Hi there,
I'm still experiencing this problem. Was this issue fixed at some point or are you aware that it is still open?

I played through Trine 1+2 in one swoop. No issues, ran perfect! But I have to stop now at Goblin Menace, because that sound is really annoying, gives me a headache.

Let me know is you need further information!

Thanks!

Hi!

The issue should be fixed. Could you tell which version of the game do you have (where did you purchase it and version number from the game's Main Menu)? I'm asking just in case if you could have an older version of the game.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any other fixes for this. :/ However there are only water canons in the first level of Goblin Menace, so maybe you could lower your volume during it?

We haven't gotten any other reports about this problem, so it's bit hard to look into this. It could also be related to specific sound drivers.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi Marjut,

I'm running the game on Steam, so it should be up-to-date. Trine2 Menu shows me build 443.

I started the first level a second time and noticed that the first occurrence of this sound issue isn't a water cannon. Right after you have to play the fireman for the first time, there is a destroyed wooden bridge with a fire below. When I stand in the middle of the bridge, the sound issue is there for the first time. After that, it's always happening when close to a water cannon...

I have this issue with headphones (realtek audio) and over display port (nvidia gtx970 audio). My OS is Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu 14.04).

Anything else that could help?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Well, I played through the first level and now there is the next sound issue in level 2:

It is right after the giant scorpion. Seems like those zing-zang beams make the sound go crazy again :(

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:56 am

Jeff wrote:Well, I played through the first level and now there is the next sound issue in level 2:

It is right after the giant scorpion. Seems like those zing-zang beams make the sound go crazy again :(

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, the fix we made for the water canons should be in that build, but the issue you're experiencing seems to be something different.

This could have something to do with your headset strengthening specific kind of sounds. What kind of headset do you have? Is it a gaming headset? Many gaming headsets have their own drivers, which can be used to alter their settings. If tinkering with these settings doesn't help or just isn't possible for you, you could also check if there are other sound driver versions available and if they'd work better.

Hopefully this helped.

Unfortunately, I can't really promise a fix as you seem to be the only one with this problem, but I'll still try to look into this.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know how it goes!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks Marjut,

I've finished Goblin Menace. No other issues detected!

As for the headset, I have analog headphones connected to a realtek audio codec. But the issue also shows up over HDMI audio via my Nvidia card.

Well if there is nobody else with this issue, then let it be. Still had my fun with goblin menace 8)

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”