Trine 2 Linux Performance

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
Dominor

Trine 2 Linux Performance

Postby Dominor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:48 am

Greetings!
I have recently bought Trine 2 on Steam and I've been finding it a greatly enjoyable game. I've been playing it mainly on Linux.
Visual and audio quality are quite good and until now (Searock Castle) I haven't found any bugs, except the occasional crash which I might suspect has something to do with alsa or pulseaudio (but that's another issue).
The one issue which has been bugging me frequently is game performance. The game is playable, but its performance could be much better. I'm running it on a 4 year old laptop with a discrete graphics card (an Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT with 512 MB RAM). However from what I can see from the recommended requirements for Linux in the Steam page for Trine 2, my computer is a bit over the recommended requirements. The graphics card itself supports Opengl version 3.3.0 (according to glxinfo). I have the nvidia proprietary drivers installed for this card on Linux.
At first, the game fps was always limited to 30 fps (in the best case scenario). By reading the game faq and some forum posts here and there, I changed the following options setOption(trine2Module, "FPSCapEnabled", true), setOption(trine2Module, "TargetSmooth30FPS", true) to setOption(trine2Module, "FPSCapEnabled", false), setOption(trine2Module, "TargetSmooth30FPS", false) in the option.txt at .frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt, respectively. It still didn't work. With luck I found that nvidia powermizer could be interfering, so before running the game I change the preferred mode of powermizer to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia-settings. A noticeable performance gain occurs going from an average 15-20 fps (in the previous case) to 15-30+ fps. Unfortunately, it still doesn't feel enough. I tried running the game on Windows 8 x64 (in this same machine on a dual boot configuration) and there's even a more significant performance increase there. The average fps goes to 20-35 fps easily reaching 50 fps in some situations (like at the start of the game), whereas in the same situation on Linux it maxes out at 40 fps.
Running on a non-Ubuntu distribution (archlinux) I've made sure to check for missing dependencies and considering the Linux nvidia proprietary drivers purport to have the same quality level as their Windows counterparts, I would expect more or less the same level of performance.
Is there something I'm missing?
Thank you for your attention!

FB_JussiE

Re: Trine 2 Linux Performance

Postby FB_JussiE » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello Dominor!

There are few things that may (or may not) affect the games performance in Linux.
One thing that can have quite big impact is the desktop environment used (Unity at least used to be the biggest performance eater while XFCE and LXDE are on the lighter side).

Even though these days the Linux drivers are for the most part comparable with the windows ones, there is still the major difference of the graphics API's available (OpenGL and DirectX) and our optimizations for them within our rendering system. We of course would love to have the game run equally well across all platforms, but at this moment there is still work for us to do to reach that point.

You can play with the games graphical settings and try to find a "sweet spot" where the playability is good without sacrificing too much visuals. Lowering or disabling AA is something that can take a big load off from the GPU depending on the current settings.

Hopefully this helps.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”