Wired Xbox 360 Controller support broken under Linux

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
pete

Wired Xbox 360 Controller support broken under Linux

Postby pete » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use my Wired Xbox 360 Controller with Trine 1 under Linux.

I'm unable to use the right analog stick correctly. The stick makes up Axis 4 (Y) and Axis 3 (X), but but pushing the stick to the left (Axis 3-) doesn't work. Axis 3- can not be assigned to anything.

Same setup works with Trine 2.

Ubuntu 14.04 64bits
ubuntu-xboxdrv ppa

Thanks for your help.

MarjutFB

Re: Wired Xbox 360 Controller support broken under Linux

Postby MarjutFB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:47 am

Unfortunately, there seems to be some issues with controllers with Trine Enchanted Edition on Linux. We haven't managed to reproduce them at our office, so unfortunately I can't promise a fix. Here is however something that could be helpful.

Please read the instructions from the following link:
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/get-xbox ... gured.html

You can install the packages mentioned there by typing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:rael-gc/ubuntu-xboxdrv
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-xboxdrv
into the terminal. After this navigate to the file /etc/default/xboxdrv/ and change

TRIGGER_AS_BUTTON=true
to
TRIGGER_AS_BUTTON=false.

If you have trouble finding the /etc/default folder, it's most likely because you don't have root access. You can enable the root access by typing the following:

Code: Select all

sudo -H /bin/bash

After this you should be able to navigate to the correct folder.

Let me know if you have any questions about this. Cheers!

pete

Postby pete » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi MarjutFB,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this doesn't change anything.

I was already using the xboxdrv ppa.

For me the trouble is with the right analog stick (axis 3 and axis 4) not the trigger buttons.
Pushing the stick to the left, doesn't do anything at all.

Regards
Pete

pete

Postby pete » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 am

Any other ideas? :)

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:40 am

Unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions at the moment. :( I have forwarded this to our QA department, who hopefully will have time to look more into this soon (we weren't able to reproduce this at our office and our schedules are quite packed right now).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll let you know when we know something more!

rct3s

Postby rct3s » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:39 am

Has there been any development on this problem yet? I also have this exact same problem as described and am eager for a fix. I'm hoping by having more people post about it, it can show that it is a common problem and not a isolated incident. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rct3s

Postby rct3s » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:49 pm

A little more information if it helps. Unlike Pete, for me Trine 2 (as opposed to Trine 1) has this exact problem and does not work in the way it was described.

Trine 2 Enchanted Edition
Wireless xbox controller (as opposed to wired)
Ubuntu 14.04 64bits
xboxdrv ppa (xbox controller driver)

And the problem as stated by pete: "I'm unable to use the right analog stick correctly. The stick makes up Axis 4 (Y) and Axis 3 (X), but but pushing the stick to the left (Axis 3-) doesn't work. Axis 3- can not be assigned to anything."

I was also on another forum, and a user described they had to hold down the right trigger to play the game properly with no other controller issues (Trine 2, xbox controller) though I don't have more information than that regarding their problem.

Every other game I have in my Steam Library works perfect with this setup.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 am

rct3s wrote:A little more information if it helps. Unlike Pete, for me Trine 2 (as opposed to Trine 1) has this exact problem and does not work in the way it was described.

Trine 2 Enchanted Edition
Wireless xbox controller (as opposed to wired)
Ubuntu 14.04 64bits
xboxdrv ppa (xbox controller driver)

And the problem as stated by pete: "I'm unable to use the right analog stick correctly. The stick makes up Axis 4 (Y) and Axis 3 (X), but but pushing the stick to the left (Axis 3-) doesn't work. Axis 3- can not be assigned to anything."

I was also on another forum, and a user described they had to hold down the right trigger to play the game properly with no other controller issues (Trine 2, xbox controller) though I don't have more information than that regarding their problem.

Every other game I have in my Steam Library works perfect with this setup.

Trine 2 uses SDL 1.3 and T EE uses SDL 2.0, so when this sort of weird bugs surface, it is very hard for us to say what could be wrong. Unfortunately, that also means that it's very hard to find time for tracking a problem like this. We could spent hours on it and get no closer to an answer (especially, if our QA isn't even able to reproduce the issue).

BTW, do you happen to know if any of the other games that work use SDL? It's pretty common library to use for input.

-JLarja

rct3s

Postby rct3s » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks for the response. It's sad to hear that, but I can understand the difficulty in solving an issue like this. After some searching, it appears Valve uses SDL, so I would assume Team Fortress 2 as well as Half Life 2 use it, but I am not certain and didn't look too deep. I have a couple of other games to try out now as well: Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 2 and Portal 2.

Is there any way I can help you solve the issue seeing as your QA team may not be able to reproduce the issue? Sending log files or something to that effect? I'd be more than happy to help (if possible) as I would love to see this issue through. This game is too fun and perfect for the controller to give up on!

martink

Postby martink » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:12 am

Let me add another data point:
I installed Trine EE a few weeks ago, and it simply worked like a charm. :-)
I'm using a wired XBox 360 controller, but didn't install xboxdrv - the stock "xpad" kernel module is used instead.
No calibration issues, no button remapping necessary - it simply works.
Perhaps xboxdrv is causing the problems in this case?
I'm running openSUSE 13.2 (x86_64), kernel 3.16.7-7-desktop.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:25 am

rct3s wrote:Thanks for the response. It's sad to hear that, but I can understand the difficulty in solving an issue like this. After some searching, it appears Valve uses SDL, so I would assume Team Fortress 2 as well as Half Life 2 use it, but I am not certain and didn't look too deep. I have a couple of other games to try out now as well: Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 2 and Portal 2.

Is there any way I can help you solve the issue seeing as your QA team may not be able to reproduce the issue? Sending log files or something to that effect? I'd be more than happy to help (if possible) as I would love to see this issue through. This game is too fun and perfect for the controller to give up on!

Xboxdrv wasn't previously installed by default (I don't know if it is even today) and we have some hacks in place which may break with it. You could try uninstalling it just for a tests sake, even though I understand that may not be a good solution for other games. In internal testing, we can't reproduce these bugs in T2 or T1EE, so it's pretty hard to try to fix anything. There doesn't seem to be any difference with or without Xboxdrv, so even that's just a guess.

Also, if you could look at the exact name of the controller in Configure Controls menu and post it here, we might be able to at least rule out some possible bugs.

Anyway, thank you for providing system and OS specs and other info. Sorry, we couldn't be of more help. We'll be in touch, if we come up with other questions.

Edit: I didn't see martink's post before posting myself. Thanks for the data point. We didn't actually see any difference in our quick test, but not knowing anything about Xboxdrv it's hard to say if we actually tested it that well (like should we have booted, used 64 or 32 bit version of the driver etc.).
-JLarja

rct3s

Postby rct3s » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:33 am

fb_jlarja wrote:Xboxdrv wasn't previously installed by default (I don't know if it is even today)

xboxdrv is still not installed by default so you are correct, xpad is (through Ubuntu 14.04 at least, the current LTS)

fb_jlarja wrote:Xboxdrv wasn't previously installed by default (I don't know if it is even today) and we have some hacks in place which may break with it. You could try uninstalling it just for a tests sake, even though I understand that may not be a good solution for other games. In internal testing, we can't reproduce these bugs in T2 or T1EE, so it's pretty hard to try to fix anything. There doesn't seem to be any difference with or without Xboxdrv, so even that's just a guess.

Thanks for this advice because it worked! As soon as I uninstalled xboxdrv (I actually had "ubuntu-xboxdrv" :shock: ) and reverted back to the default xpad it worked! Everything is as it should be. xpad also seems to work with the other games too which is great, though I haven't completely tested that statement. The only problem with using xpad are its lack of features (no joystick settings: calibration, button mapping, etc) and the controller lights flash the whole time (there are apparently ways to fix that by using a slightly modified xpad driver made by steam).

It seems to be ubuntu-xboxdrv related, so I hope this information helps you out if you are still going to look into it! This is the link where I found the easy, packaged installation instructions:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/06/ubuntu-xbox-controller-support-xboxdrv-driver.

From the website about ubuntu-xboxdrv:
"We’ve written about setting xboxdrv up in the past and suffice to say: it’s not the easiest tool to get up and running out of the box. From annoying issues with driver conflicts to outright confusing issues like offering no Unity Control Panel entry for adjusting settings.
Enter reader Rael GC and his repackage of the driver that solves many of these issues (and plenty more!). His modified xboxdrv package — which he’s dubbed ‘Ubuntu xboxdrv‘ — is available for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 13.10 and 14.04 LTS through a dedicated PPA, making installing (and uninstalling) really simple."

It appears that this version of xboxdrv was put together to make for an easier install, and so maybe therein lies the problem? The thing to do now would be for me to test the original unmodified xboxdrv driver (which your QA team had no problems with) and for your QA team to try using ubuntu-xboxdrv (which I did have problems with). That could narrow down the issue if I'm thinking about this right.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 am

Thanks for the info and glad to hear you got it working! We probably aren't going to patch T2 and T1 EE for a while, being busy with T3. However, as we obviously want to make T3 Linux as good as possible, it would be nice to get gamepad issues fixed. We have few ideas on how to make it more robust in some cases, so might be able to solve the problems with Xboxdrv. At least our QA now has something new to explore :) .

-JLarja

pete

Postby pete » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Here is an update from my side:

yesterday, just out of curiosity, I tried Trine EE with the xpad driver and it works :D
I wanted to try it with xpad, because the game "Oddworld" only works with xpad and not xboxdrv (playing with the xboxdrv is just as broken and messed up).

And when I came here to post my news, I saw that somebody already posted it :)

I didn't uninstall anything, just did:
sudo killall xboxdrv
sudo modprobe xpad
start T1 EE

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”