Trine Mac system requirements

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Trine Mac system requirements

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Here are the official Mac system requirements for Trine. We will add these to the Mac App Store page in the next update too, but for now I hope this might help those who are wondering whether or not Trine will run on their Mac.

Mac system requirements

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.8 or better (Steam - Mac App Store requires 10.6.5 or later)
Processor: Intel Mac
System Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256 MB shared or dedicated RAM (ATI or NVIDIA)
NOTE: Please be advised that Trine does not run on Macs produced in 2006-2008 that use Intel graphics solutions. The game does run on all Macs from 2009 onwards. Macs with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or ATI Radeon X1600 graphics may not achieve smooth gameplay.
Hard Drive: 600 MB
Other: Keyboard, Mouse with Secondary click enabled

If you have bought the game and it does not run, please get in touch (either reply here or send us an email) so we can sort it out.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

wordzenpix

Re: Trine Mac system requirements

Postby wordzenpix » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:08 pm

I bought and downloaded Trine yesterday, and it runs on my iMac (specs below) but all I see when the game actually begins is a black screen with mouse and WASD, and the archer's arrow firing when commanded. No graphics appear.

2.33 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 gb RAM, Chipset Model: ATY, RadeonX1600

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Hmm. I would suggest that you try to update all the drivers, and if there's nothing to update then you could try to download graphics drivers from the Apple support site (I found these drivers from January 2005 but that sounds a little too old to be useful).

You should also try using the lowest possible graphics settings (resolution and general settings, and turn off any antialiasing and such from the Advanced menu).

I believe the X1600 should be able to run Trine but there is a small chance that it's not up to par after all... If we can't get the game running then I'll PM you with some further info.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

JA123

Postby JA123 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm

I recently bought Trine for my macbook, not realizing that it would not run well. It is slow and choppy, and entirely unplayable. Would it be possible to refund my money, and if so, how should I go about it?
Thank you

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:10 pm

I will PM/email you.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

smtkr

Postby smtkr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 pm

wordzenpix wrote:I bought and downloaded Trine yesterday, and it runs on my iMac (specs below) but all I see when the game actually begins is a black screen with mouse and WASD, and the archer's arrow firing when commanded. No graphics appear.

2.33 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 gb RAM, Chipset Model: ATY, RadeonX1600

I have a similar system and experienced the same issue. The menus and interstitial narrative screens appear and execute well. The gameplay screen is black when entering a stage. The game is obviously running because I can hear sounds from the grappling hook hitting various surfaces, etc.

It is a software issue (probably drivers). I can confirm this because I have a Windows XP partition on this iMac where I can play Trine without issue. The Apple updater does not have any updates available, indicating no available driver updates.

I think that Mac users with Radeon X1600 graphics cards should avoid Trine unless they are comfortable configuring a Windows partition for gaming.

name777

Postby name777 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 am

FYI I am running Trine on a macbook Pro 2.16ghz with a Radeon x1600 as well. I initially had the black screen as well. Turning down the graphics a little bit fixed the problem, but the game was still quite choppy. Using one of the "Low" resolutions allowed the game to run smoothly at the cost of some crispness. As an aside, ATI's/Apple's drivers for this specific card have always been a little flaky; there have been a number of titles in recent years that would produce graphical bugs that wouldn't show up in any other ATI graphic cards under OS X (two such titles are Red Alert 3 and Descent: Freespace 2).

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat May 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks for that info. I added the X1600 to the "may not achieve smooth gameplay" list - it should be slightly better than the 9400M I think though, so using the Low resolution probably achieves a good enough framerate (but of course it won't look as good).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

matyas.ka

Postby matyas.ka » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Hello!

I just got Trine, I have a Macbook Pro with a x1600 card (256MB) and I am experiencing artifact (no background image but some weird colors and vertex - a render problem, not hardware related) in full screen mode. The other graphic elements (trees, characters, walls, lights) are fine. Window mode works fine (but not as enjoyable). I have Lion 10.7.1.

Thanks a lot,
Matyas

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Hmm sounds a bit interesting. If the windowed mode works fine, that's very strange. I don't know why it would behave differently...

With windowed mode, it will show the Dock, right? I was going to suggest maximizing the window (editing the options.txt file, but it might also be the default setting), but I think that will still show the Dock, so it's not of much help...

You could try various graphics settings and see if any of those trigger the issues. It could also be a driver thing so you can check if newer drivers help (or perhaps even older)... But from the other posts here it seems like it might not really help...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

msshain

Postby msshain » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Yes, I just bought Trine 2 through the Apple App Store. I have a 2007 Macbook and the program is unusable. What should I do?
Please assist and/or support, thanks.

Slapgravel

Postby Slapgravel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:34 am

Same for me. I have a 2009 Macbook 2.26 GHz duo 2Gb RAM. I loved trine and just got the 2nd. It's so laggy that I can do any of that awesome ninja jumping stuff. Mouse and graphics lag about 0.5 sec behind making it impossible to play :(

Please heeeelp

richardsonwl

Postby richardsonwl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 am

So I think I'm in the same boat as these other users. Tried to run Trine 2 off of a 2008 White Macbook (2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo/2Gb Memory/GMA x3100 graphics) with no luck. I did my research on the app store which states that the only system requirement was that my computer runs OS X 10.5. I probably should've been suspicious at that point but I went ahead and downloaded the game anyway. I've tried just about every video setting and I get either a half second lag or a scrambled version of my desktop screen.
After reading these forums it sounds like my video card isn't up to snuff and I was wondering if there is going to be some support for my card or if I could get a refund so I could just purchase it off of XBLA. Thanks.

helianthus

Postby helianthus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 am

So I just bought Trine off Steam; theoretically all my specs are fine, I'll list them just in case:

Mac OSX 10.5.8
2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card

I realize the stuff about the 9400M not running well, but Trine won't even open: the launch window appears when I try to run it, I click launch, and then nothing happens. It seems others have had this problem, but I couldn't find anything helpful via google, so I figured I'd try here.

jfraser

Postby jfraser » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 am

How well would a Mac Mini with an ATI Radeon 6630m be able to run this game?

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”