Trine Mac FAQ / system requirements

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Trine Mac FAQ / system requirements

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:30 pm

This is a general Mac help/FAQ thread - please post your technical issues as separate threads.

Please note that Mac is still a fairly new platform to us, and although we did a good beta test (thanks everyone!), there are some minor issues every now and then. We'll try to address them quickly but it may take some time to figure out the Mac-specific questions.

Mac system requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.8 or better (Steam - Mac App Store requires 10.6.5 or later)
Processor: Intel Mac
System Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256 MB shared or dedicated RAM (ATI or NVIDIA)
NOTE: Please be advised that Trine does not run on Macs produced in 2006-2008 that use Intel graphics solutions. The game does run on all Macs from 2009 onwards. Macs with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or ATI Radeon X1600 graphics may not achieve smooth gameplay.
Hard Drive: 600 MB
Other: Keyboard, Mouse with Secondary click enabled (trackpad works but is probably too uncomfortable)

If you are unsure about your Mac being able to run the game, let me know here and I can find out. In general it's the Intel graphics chips that won't run the game, ATi and NVIDIA ones should be ok. The new MacBook Pros from 2011 with the Intel graphics (or AMD in the higher models) will run the game just fine though.

The Steam version of the game supports SteamPlay - howewer the Mac App Store is not linked to Steam or any other 3rd party system.

You can use a gamepad with the Mac version, however the number of gamepads that work properly on the Mac is limited, so there may be quite a bit of tinkering involved, and some gamepads may simply refuse to work with Trine. The Xbox 360 Controller works the best but you need to download the unofficial Xbox 360 Controller OS X drivers first. I have tested this and it was great, the only problem I had was some issues with the triggers, but I'm not sure if that was just me or if it's a general problem. In any case the game should be perfectly playable (just remap the triggers to the shoulder buttons etc).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine Mac help thread / FAQ

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Some questions that have come up in other threads:

Will there be a Mac demo?

Most likely at some point, however at the moment we don't have the time to create a demo. I would suggest checking out the Windows demo if you can, or checking videos online etc. For technical questions I can try to help.

The game runs slow on my Mac

Trine does require a bit of graphics processing power, and hopefully the system requirements in the first post are helpful in determining whether or not the game runs well on your Mac. However, certain systems, such as those with the NVIDIA 9400M graphics chipset, may run the game fine most of the time, but become a bit choppy at other times. The common solution is to turn down the graphics settings. The ultimate solution is to use "Very Low" resolution which will sacrifice graphics quality for performance.

Does co-op work on the Mac version?

Co-op works if you have gamepads (but please configure them before inviting your friends!). Multiple mice and keyboards do not work on the Mac unfortunately. You also cannot play co-op on just one keyboard. (If anyone knows of a modern Mac game that supports multiple mice and keyboards, I'd be very interested to hear about that.)

Are there any advanced technical configs available, like v-sync?

Yes. However these have been largely untested, so use them at your own risk. You can go to the game's directory (~Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/trine/binary/config in the Steam version and in Trine.app/Contents/Resources/binary/config/ in the Mac App Store version, and open the options.txt file manually, and search for "vertical_sync" or something similar. I'm not entirely sure if it will work though but it's worth a shot. For refresh rate changes you can try adding "refresh_rate = 50" or any other number that you like to the Display section of options.txt.

The game makes my Mac overheat/run hot

Trine stresses the graphics card quite a bit. Other than lowering graphics settings, you can also limit the framerate to e.g. 30 frames per second (default is 66 I think) by opening the game console with the F8 key (or Fn+F8) and writing "/show_fps 1" and "/render_max_fps 30" (without the quotations but with the forward slashes). You can also use the TAB key to autofill some commands.

Steam Overlay and Mac buttons don't work

Trine uses certain technical implementations that make it harder to implement Steam Overlay support in Fullscreen mode. Steam Overlay should work if you run the game in Windowed mode (untick Fullscreen in the Launcher). Mac buttons also do not work in Fullscreen mode. We may fix some of these at a later date...

Will earlier versions of Mac OS X such as 10.5.8 work with the game now or in the future?

Does not work currently, and most likely we won't add support in the future either. You'll have to update to Snow Leopard (10.6) or later.

Russian language keyboard does not work, and special characters don't work

Trine may not work properly with the Russian language version of Mac OS X (keyboard keys don't respond). This might be something that we can fix at a later date, however we need more information and more knowledge of the Mac platform, so I cannot promise an ETA for this. Any information/feedback is welcome. Trine also does not currently support special characters such as ,.[] or foreign language characters.

Does the game support gamepads?

Yes. Our recommended gamepad choice is the Xbox 360 Controller - you'll need to install the unofficial Mac OS X drivers first though. Other gamepads may work too but they can be hard to set up.

Does the game support multiple mice and keyboards?

The Mac version does not support multiple mice and keyboards. Sorry! This is due to some technical limitations, and it probably won't get fixed. (The Windows of Trine version supports multiple mice and keyboards to a reasonable extent.)

Steam Cloud is giving me trouble

Steam Cloud should be quite stable, but if you experience any trouble with either the saves or controller configs, you can disable Steam Cloud and see what happens. To disable Steam Cloud, open the game console (Fn+F8) and then write "/steam_cloud_enabled 0" (without quotations but with forward slash) and press enter. You can enable it again with "/steam_cloud_enabled 1". If your local settings/saves work better for some reason, you can manually upload binds to Steam Cloud by writing "saveToSteamCloud" in the console - but remember that it sends whatever save files and config files you have locally, so use it carefully.

Will Trine run on case sensitive formatted harddrives?

As of version 1.11, Trine will run on case sensitive harddrives.

For older versions, you can use this workaround: If you are tech savvy, you can fix the problem with the following terminal commands. Please note that we have not actually tested these properly ourselves and it's at your own risk. It should work though, credit goes to Carlos for figuring this out. Here goes:

Code: Select all

* error Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Framework/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

Terminal fix: sudo mv SDL.Framework SDL.framework

* error Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Framework/Cg.framework/Cg

Terminal fix: sudo mv Cg.Framework Cg.framework

Will Trine 2 be released for the Mac?

Yes! :) We are aiming for a simultaneous release of Windows and Mac, although in reality there may be a small delay. We have been happy with the performance of Trine on the Mac and it has been reasonably successful too, so we look forward to bringing Trine 2 to the Mac too. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”