Linux: Trine wont Launch under ubuntu 10.10

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
riakunixx

Linux: Trine wont Launch under ubuntu 10.10

Postby riakunixx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 am

I'm having problems with Trine. It installs and everything no error messages. However when I launch it, it won't launch. I get this at the terminal.

Got signal 11 at (nil) from (nil)
./trine-bin64[0x433c98]
/lib/libpthread.so.0(+0xfb40)[0x7f5e120c7b40]

and this all i get

riakunixx

Re: Trine wont Launch under ubuntu 10.10

Postby riakunixx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 am

I got the game to launch but now it crashes and I get this:
Error compiling shaders. Make sure your GPU supports Shader Model 3.0. Additional details may be found in the log.

I'm running an intel HD4500.

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 am

I think I have the same problem:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3311

adavid

Postby adavid » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:03 am

I had a segfault too under Fedora Core 14.

I then read the User Manual

System Requirements:
Video Card: Radeon HD 2800 or GeForce 6800 or better with Shader Model 3.0 support
Other: A recent Linux distribution. Ubuntu 9.10, Debian 5.0 (Lenny), Fedora 12 and
OpenSuse 11.3 are known to work.

lspci -v

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device 0007

I have a Radeon replace graphics-based laptop at home. I'll try that later.

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 am

I'm running Fedora 13 x86

GPU: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro NVS 140M] (rev a1)

Haven't looked up the shader 3 thing yet...

riakunixx

Postby riakunixx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 am

I have another desktop with a radeon 4350 i'll try that when i get home. this is disappointing though, I wanted to review this for linux.:\ might have to use windows........*shiver*

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am

Just looked up my GPU (Quadro NVS 140M) nVidia specs say "Shader Model 4.0". I'm running the 260.19.36 binary driver from nVidia.

Poo...

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 am

padsp ./trine-bin32 solved my problem,... just without pulse.

It runs flawlessly too,... nice..

riakunixx

Postby riakunixx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 am

brian can I get more detail please? where did you run that command at

riakunixx

Postby riakunixx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 am

the intel HD4500 supports shader model 4.0 I would like to review the game on linux as soon as I can, but i'm still getting that 3.0 error

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am

Sorry, Intel GPUs are not supported. I understand they don't really work on Windows either.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Olangu

Postby Olangu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:37 pm

"Additional details may be found in the log."
~/.frozenbyte/trine/logs/log.txt

More information:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36182

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 pm

riakunixx wrote:brian can I get more detail please? where did you run that command at

It seems Trine doesn't support PulsAudio correctly or at all. The command "padsp" wraps OSS around PulseAudio and presents OSS to the application being passed to it... sort of like an OSS emulator.

If your system runs PulseAudio, if should have the padsp command.

Goto your Trine installation directory and run 'padsp ./trine-launcher'--or edit your icon and prefix the executing command with padsp.

-Brian

Powelly

Postby Powelly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 am

Hi all.
Im also having this problem. I'm on an intel 965 family chipset, and i know i have shader 3.0 support.
I get the Fatal error: Error compiling shaders. Make sure your GPU supports Shader Model 3.0. Additional details may be found in the log error, and my log file shows the following.

14.4.2011 [14:53]
INFO: Vertex profile: arbvp1
INFO: Vertex shader options:
INFO: NumTemps=32
INFO: MaxInstructions=4096
INFO: MaxAddressRegs=1
INFO: MaxLocalParams=1024
INFO: Pixel profile: arbfp1
INFO: Pixel shader options:
INFO: ARB_draw_buffers
INFO: NumTemps=256
INFO: NumInstructionSlots=16384
INFO: NumTexInstructionSlots=16384
INFO: NumMathInstructionSlots=16384
INFO: MaxTexIndirections=16384
INFO: MaxLocalParams=1024
INFO: MaxDrawBuffers=4
ERROR: Cg error: 4 4 (The program could not load.)

If anyone could help me it would be great, i'd really like to play this.

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Intel GPUs do not work because the Linux driver is not up to it. The driver developers are working on it. Hopefully something comes out of it.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Powelly

Postby Powelly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:20 pm

So does that mean that it will be supported in the future? And the developers who are fixing it, are they the guys over at intellinuxgraphics.org?

allquixotic

Postby allquixotic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:15 am

Powelly wrote:So does that mean that it will be supported in the future? And the developers who are fixing it, are they the guys over at intellinuxgraphics.org?

Not only them, but as it turns out, Eric Anholt (an Intel employee) took up the mantle to implement missing functionality in Mesa to get Trine working on some graphics cards.

I still haven't been able to get it running here, but one of the showstopping bugs in Mesa that prevented Trine from working at all has already been fixed. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36182 and the related bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34321

There may be many iterations of this process until we get Trine working 100%. Each time we fix a bug, another bug might show up later down the line. So we can't fix them all at once because we won't encounter them until after the previous bug has already been fixed. It's like driving a land-mine-clearing tank: you can't clear the mines a mile away until you clear the ones 50 ft in front of you.

Marek Olsak and Eric Anholt seem to have worked together to resolve the first bug, but I'm still getting a second one.

Powelly

Postby Powelly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:29 am

So how does one apply that patch?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Linux: Trine wont Launch under ubuntu 10.10

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:38 am

As far as I've understood the posts in this thread and in the links, the game does not currently run on any Intel chipset, although some progress has been made and some bugs have been fixed in the drivers. Personally I would not hold my breath for any of our games to run on the Intel chipsets, because we don't support them on Windows either (the only one known to work is the Sandy Bridge GPU). Sorry! (You can always get a refund from the Humble Bundle.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

allquixotic

Postby allquixotic » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:03 am

As far as I've understood the posts in this thread and in the links, the game does not currently run on any Intel chipset, although some progress has been made and some bugs have been fixed in the drivers. Personally I would not hold my breath for any of our games to run on the Intel chipsets, because we don't support them on Windows either (the only one known to work is the Sandy Bridge GPU). Sorry! (You can always get a refund from the Humble Bundle.)

TL;DR: Two separate things are required to run Trine on open source graphics drivers (including all Intel graphics chips), above and beyond what modern distros are shipping:

(1) S3TC Texture Compression is required for Trine. S3TC is patented by S3 Graphics, Inc. in the U.S., European Union, and Japan. There is a relatively low legal risk to using S3TC on your own computer for personal use, but it is a legal liability nonetheless. Deciding to do so is entirely up to you. Since it would be a major legal liability for Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. to ship S3TC compression, you will need to compile it yourself, or download packages that someone else has built for your distribution.

(2) Use the latest Mesa from the Git source code repository at freedesktop.org. Or, once Mesa version 7.11 is released, use that (or any later version). It contains support for the OpenGL extension, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, which is required for Trine. This has no legal issues surrounding it.

(And now, the long answer)

With all due respect, this is wrong. As it turns out, your developers have been under the misconception that Trine requires "Shader Model 3.0", which is a term borrowed from DirectX. Shader Model 3.0 would be equivalent to the GLSL version shipped with OpenGL 3.0. However, none of the shader assembler that the Cg compiler generates requires any features from OpenGL 3.0. A compliant OpenGL 2.1 driver can run Trine just fine.

That's what Mesa (both classic and Gallium3d) supports -- OpenGL 2.1. The reason why the game was crashing is that a required extension, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, and a small portion of the GLSL compiler, needed to be implemented. Eric Anholt solved this in a couple of hours, and now Trine runs at least with the following chips, but very likely runs on other Gallium3d drivers as well:

Intel 965GM using the "i965" Mesa driver (with the latest code from git) -- This is a classic mesa driver
Radeon HD5970 using the "r600g" Mesa-Gallium3d driver (with the latest code from git) -- This is a Gallium3d driver

When Mesa version 7.11 is officially released as stable in a few weeks, it will include Eric Anholt's patches that enable the game. Since the same patchset did not implement any GPU-specific code, and it works on both classic and gallium3d drivers, my guess is that all hardware-accelerated chips supporting OpenGL 2.1 through Mesa will be able to run Trine as of Mesa 7.11, as long as your individual hardware driver doesn't have any other bugs. This means, for example, that Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 11.10 (likely not 11.04) will fully support Trine out of the box with open source graphics drivers based on Mesa, for Intel, ATI, and Nvidia chipsets.

Another thing to consider: the 965GM is a very old and slow chipset nowadays, relative to what's out there. And despite all the insistence from FrozenByte that you need "Shader Model 3.0", this is simply wrong. The 965GM does not support Shader Model 3.0 at all, and it runs the game with 100% correct rendering (albeit slowly, because as I said it's such a small and old chipset).

My guess is that Radeon "R300" through "R500" chipsets will run Trine as well, using the r300g Gallium3d driver. The Gallium3d drivers share a tremendous amount of code between them, and the patches that enabled Trine on both my Radeon and my Intel chip was not targeted at any particular GPU.

Those of you here who are not power users / developers, but who wish to run Trine on open source graphics drivers: wait until Fedora 15 is officially released in May. It should have the requisite features, and you should be able to run Trine out of the box. I think that Fedora 15 will be the first distribution to launch a stable release with the required patch to Mesa included. However, even then, you will still need to perform Steps 4 and 5 below, because of a legally sticky situation that most distros will avoid. See here for a more complete discussion of what the problem is.

If you are a power user and you know how to do some basic compiling, here's a rough sketch of what you need to do. These instructions should work for any distro shipping at least Xorg 1.9.x and the 2.6.37 kernel or so. If you are running an old distro (like Ubuntu 10.04 or RHEL 6), you probably won't have the required dependency versions to build Mesa 7.11 from git. But you can try it :)

1. Install gcc, git, flex, bison, the Xorg Server SDK, and libdrm-devel using your package manager. Exact package names vary by distro. Use something like:
  • Code: Select all

zypper se
    for OpenSUSE

yum search
    for Fedora / Red Hat

aptitude search
    for Ubuntu / Debian / Mint / Kanotix
with terms like "xorg", "flex", "gcc", "libdrm", etc. until you find the packages you need. If Mesa fails during the autogen.sh stage with errors, check to see if it's asking you for a package you don't have, and then install that package using the above method.

2. Grab the latest mesa from git:

Code: Select all

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa

3. Compile mesa with something like:

CFLAGS='-march=native' CXXFLAGS='-march=native' ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 && make -j2 && sudo make install
(note: You can reduce compile time by disabling drivers you don't need. If you're on an Intel chipset, you just need to pass

--with-dri-drivers=i965 --disable-gallium
to autogen.sh as additional parameters. If you're on an ATI r600 or later, you just need

--without-dri-drivers --enable-gallium-r600
. Also, if you are on 32-bit Fedora, or any version of Ubuntu or Debian, omit the --libdir=/usr/lib64 flag. Finally, sudo may not work on Fedora; instead, run su to get a root shell, then run make install without sudo.)

4. Grab the S3TC texture compression support from git:

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~mareko/libtxc_dxtn

5. If you live in the U.S., E.U., or Japan, realize that by building libtxc_dxtn, you are assuming a legal liability of a similar flavor to using the LAME mp3 encoder, or ffmpeg, or VLC. That is, you are possibly infringing on software patents. Therefore, I cannot recommend that you build libtxc_dxtn, nor can I tell you how. But I can say that it has a very typical build system that you might find to be strikingly similar to Mesa's build procedure. If you hate software patents, tell your local government representative that they ought to be abolished -- a letter is more effective than an email. (Note: mere possession of the S3TC compression source code does not infringe, because of free speech. The trouble is if you actually compile it into a binary that will readily "perform" the patented "apparatus". If you decide to do it anyway, the legal liability is 100% on you, not on Marek Olsak, or freedesktop.org, or me.)

Powelly

Postby Powelly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:16 am

Well I attempted to folllow what you posted there, bu to no avail.
Could you pm me with a bit more info if possible?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Wow, that's a hell of a post allquixotic! Thanks for posting that. :)

To reiterate on my earlier post - what I was referring to was not about the drivers/Linux at all. I understand the OpenGL 3.0 requirement mishap, and the general trouble that's been going on. However, all of our games on all platforms require more hardware features than most of the Intel integrated graphics chipsets can provide - at least this is my current understanding.

For example, with Shadowgrounds on the Windows platforms, we have listed these chipsets as 100% positively NOT being able to run the game (mostly based on user complaints but we have tested some ourselves too):

- Intel GMA900
- Intel GMA915
- Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL (used in Sony Vaio VGC-FB53 etc)
- Intel(R) 82945
- Intel(R) 82865G
(+ - NVIDIA GeForce 5400Go (laptop GPU) and GeForce 4 MX cards)

From the top of my head I would add GMA950 to the list as well. I would say the same about GMA965 but it is a much less frequent chip (sorry if I am using these terms a bit loosely, not sure if they should be called cards or chips or what) and I haven't heard too many complaints - I have not heard of it ever running the game(s) either though. Our official minimums for Shadowgrounds is GeForce 4 Ti 4200 or Radeon replace series, and slightly higher for Shadowgrounds Survivor (technically the same as SG I believe), and for Trine it's Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better (technically GeForce FX 5x series does not have the required hardware but later ones do, and I think Radeon 9x series is the same). I think these are all Shader Model 2.0 cards or thereabout. I know that Trine runs on e.g. X550HM card from ATi, because I have used that in my home computer (not recommended btw, although it was more or less playable with low resolution - I believe I have also tested X300 and it runs but is definitely not playable, and I'm only 99% sure I tested that).

I do seem to remember something about some Intel ones, basically the new X3100 or such, being able to run the games to some degree in the hands of very tech-savvy users (one of our programmers said that he thinks he once got the game running on one such computer using some driver/software-for-hardware hacks but he couldn't be 100% sure). So when I get a support request from an Intel user not being able to run the games, I have no verified/tested way of helping that user, so we resort to solving the matter in other ways (e.g. refund where possible).

Do you agree with this assessment, just to confirm? If there's a way to get these chips run the games on Windows I'd love to hear that. :)

As for the Linux support, am I incorrect in assuming that if a graphics card can't run the game(s) on Windows, chances are it would not be able to run the game(s) on Linux either? I've just always assumed that it's the hardware that really dictates things and drivers generally allow the same features on all platforms (give or take, and I guess it takes longer for some platforms to get sufficient drivers etc).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

tsf

Postby tsf » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 am

Hi,

So I tried compiling mesa from git and installing libtxc_dxtn, but initially it still did not work. I then played around with adding removing libraries in the lib64 folder (to make it use the system ones instead), and it finally did work!

$ glxinfo | grep -ie ^OpenGL -e compression_s3tc -e ATI_draw
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel (git-b5dfc38)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ATI_draw_buffers,

Unfortunately, it is pretty much unplayable because I can hardly see anything...

I tried changing the settings in the game as well as brightening my monitor, but alas, it does not help :(

I notice there are a lot more options in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/config/options.txt, are the any that could remedy my situation?

allquixotic

Postby allquixotic » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 am

Powelly wrote:Well I attempted to folllow what you posted there, bu to no avail.
Could you pm me with a bit more info if possible?

Sorry, I'm not going to pull teeth, and I'm not going to engage in private messaging -- if I only answer your particular question in private, then anyone else who has the same question won't see my response on the public forum. That's not how this works.

If you want help following my instructions for your particular distribution and architecture, I am willing to help you through the process of getting it running. But I will only do so in public. Before I can do so, I will need some information from you:

1. What distribution you are running.
2. The version of the distribution (example: Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora 15 -- the number is the version.)
3. The CPU architecture of your installation. Since Trine only runs on Intel x86-based processors, your answer here will be either "32-bit" or "64-bit". If you don't know, then open up a terminal and run uname -a and paste the output as your answer.
4. Tell me exactly which steps you tried following in my instructions. If you received an error message that wouldn't let you proceed, copy and paste the exact error message you're getting. If in doubt, too much information is better than too little -- but you may need to give me an external link to pastebin if you're pasting very large quantities of text.
5. Tell me exactly which graphics chipset or card you are using. Example would be "Intel 965GM" or "ATI Radeon HD4200". This is basic information that you must know about your computer. If you aren't sure, look it up in the manufacturer's manual. Or if you are extremely lazy and want to irritate me, you can give me the manufacturer name and the exact model number of the computer -- this should allow me to look up your video card chipset for you.

I will not assist a very large number of people in this way, as I don't get paid by Frozenbyte to provide end-user technical support. But I will assist a few people, and attempt to resolve common confusions and "gotchas" to the best of my ability, so that patient readers who read this entire forum thread should be able to get a working installation.

allquixotic

Postby allquixotic » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 am

tsf wrote:Hi,

So I tried compiling mesa from git and installing libtxc_dxtn, but initially it still did not work. I then played around with adding removing libraries in the lib64 folder (to make it use the system ones instead), and it finally did work!

$ glxinfo | grep -ie ^OpenGL -e compression_s3tc -e ATI_draw
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel (git-b5dfc38)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ATI_draw_buffers,

Unfortunately, it is pretty much unplayable because I can hardly see anything...

I tried changing the settings in the game as well as brightening my monitor, but alas, it does not help :(

I notice there are a lot more options in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/config/options.txt, are the any that could remedy my situation?

First, congratulations on following my instructions and getting this working!

Did you enable the "Extra Gamma" option in the advanced graphics options? This helped me a lot. On my Radeon HD5970, the game looks quite a bit better than what I see in that screenshot (albeit it's still pretty slow).

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”