Linux: Trine wont Launch under ubuntu 10.10

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
allquixotic

Re: Linux: Trine wont Launch under ubuntu 10.10

Postby allquixotic » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:50 am

fb_joel wrote:Wow, that's a hell of a post allquixotic! Thanks for posting that. :)

To reiterate on my earlier post - what I was referring to was not about the drivers/Linux at all. I understand the OpenGL 3.0 requirement mishap, and the general trouble that's been going on. However, all of our games on all platforms require more hardware features than most of the Intel integrated graphics chipsets can provide - at least this is my current understanding.

This depends upon what you define as "most". Of course, certain previous generations of Intel IGPs don't support the required hardware features to run Trine; but this is true of Nvidia and ATI cards as well. The age of said IGPs is about on par with the age of the equivalent ATI/Nvidia generation cards that also lack the same features. This is because Intel, ATI, and Nvidia all try to support the latest OpenGL and DirectX specifications as quickly as possible once they are released. In the distant past, Intel was behind the curve, but they are mostly caught up today.

fb_joel wrote:For example, with Shadowgrounds on the Windows platforms, we have listed these chipsets as 100% positively NOT being able to run the game (mostly based on user complaints but we have tested some ourselves too):

- Intel GMA900
- Intel GMA915
- Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL (used in Sony Vaio VGC-FB53 etc)
- Intel(R) 82945
- Intel(R) 82865G
(+ - NVIDIA GeForce 5400Go (laptop GPU) and GeForce 4 MX cards)

From the top of my head I would add GMA950 to the list as well.

I would agree that none of these chipsets can run Shadowgrounds, or Trine for that matter, or any OpenGL 2.1 game. Maybe not even OpenGL 2.0 games. However, I don't think any of these chipsets are "common" anymore, except for on rack-mounted, dedicated, headless servers, where the 915 and 845 chipsets are commonly used for the physical console and/or KVM-over-IP (but I don't think anyone would try to play a 3d game on such hardware).

fb_joel wrote:I would say the same about GMA965 but it is a much less frequent chip (sorry if I am using these terms a bit loosely, not sure if they should be called cards or chips or what) and I haven't heard too many complaints - I have not heard of it ever running the game(s) either though. Our official minimums for Shadowgrounds is GeForce 4 Ti 4200 or Radeon replace series, and slightly higher for Shadowgrounds Survivor (technically the same as SG I believe), and for Trine it's Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better (technically GeForce FX 5x series does not have the required hardware but later ones do, and I think Radeon 9x series is the same). I think these are all Shader Model 2.0 cards or thereabout. I know that Trine runs on e.g. X550HM card from ATi, because I have used that in my home computer (not recommended btw, although it was more or less playable with low resolution - I believe I have also tested X300 and it runs but is definitely not playable, and I'm only 99% sure I tested that).

The GM965 (or 965GM) is the mobile version of the "965" generation chipset, which is also branded as "X3100". So actually, with regards to my Lenovo ThinkPad X61T, if you asked me, "Do you have an Intel X3100 chipset?" I would say, "Yes!" -- and if you asked me, "Do you have an Intel 965GM chipset?" I would say, "Yes!" -- but I only have one IGP, one graphics card, in there! Figure that one out. :)

Actually, I'll let Wikipedia help you figure it out. To see what I mean about the confusion over the Intel chipsets, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X3100. Do a Ctrl+F and search for "Crestline" -- this is the chip I have in my ThinkPad. It claims DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0, and full OpenGL 2.1 support on Windows.

Note that the OpenGL versions listed in the Wikipedia article are based on the Windows drivers. I am not very interested in understanding (or helping others understand) the situation with the Intel Windows graphics drivers, but let me sum up this complicated issue as succinctly as I can:

Depending on whether you're running XP or Vista/7, and depending upon the exact chipset you're using, one or more of the following statements may be true:

• Your GPU supports OpenGL 2.1 (or some higher revision), and your Windows driver properly implements this support in hardware, for fast and efficient 3D. Examples include the Intel 965GM / X3100 chipset, and later chips such as the G43, G45, and of course the latest, Sandy Bridge (included on the CPU die of very recent Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs).
  • Your GPU supports OpenGL 2.1 (or some higher revision), and your Windows driver does not properly implement this support at all, leaving you with some lower revision exposed (such as OpenGL 1.5), even if your hardware is capable of higher. This, I believe, is the case for the 945G / 945GM / X3000 series on VIsta/7: because this hardware lacks a "hardware scheduler", no WDDM 1.0 driver exists supporting this hardware. Therefore it cannot implement the higher level API hooks that implement OpenGL 2.1 or DirectX 10. But this is only because a hardware scheduler is included in the requirements for WDDM 1.0, a Microsoft standard -- not because the hardware is incapable of supporting, on some level, OpenGL 2.1.
  • Your GPU does not support the hardware features required for full OpenGL 2.1, and your Windows driver tries to properly implement this support, using slower software fallbacks in some cases where hardware features are unavailable. Since the Windows drivers are closed-source, we (the general public) are unable to easily determine for which cards this is the case -- but if you run some profiles on various OpenGL calls, you could probably figure it out if a call takes 5 or 10 times longer than it should.
  • Your GPU does not support the hardware features required for full OpenGL 2.1, and your Windows driver simply settles for less, providing you OpenGL 1.5 or 1.4. This is the case with all those obsolete cards you mentioned above, the 915, 910, 845, etc.

Running diagnostic utilities such as GLView can help end-users determine which of these scenarios is the case for their card. You can also refer to the Wikipedia list, which is mostly reliable (although some of the OpenGL API support numbers seem a little incorrect to me, and seem to err on the low side).

I'll end this section by saying that discussion of running Trine or Shadowgrounds on Windows is extremely off-topic for this thread, and for those who are reading along trying to run Trine on Linux, I sincerely apologize for this interlude.

fb_joel wrote:I do seem to remember something about some Intel ones, basically the new X3100 or such, being able to run the games to some degree in the hands of very tech-savvy users (one of our programmers said that he thinks he once got the game running on one such computer using some driver/software-for-hardware hacks but he couldn't be 100% sure).

As I said above (and as Wikipedia says in case you don't take my word for it), the X3100 fully supports DirectX and OpenGL versions greater than or equal to what is required for Trine. And I have personally seen it running on said hardware -- on Linux, not on Windows. I am unwilling to test it on Windows because my primary interest (in this context) is gaming on Linux with the open source graphics stack (Mesa, etc.)

In fact, the X3100 is pretty much the oldest (chronologically) Intel IGP that would run Trine with any kind of success on both Windows and Linux. The most recent Vista/7 drivers should fully support the required OpenGL, and I have instructions in this thread, tested on this chipset, that work on Linux.

fb_joel wrote:So when I get a support request from an Intel user not being able to run the games, I have no verified/tested way of helping that user, so we resort to solving the matter in other ways (e.g. refund where possible).

If their platform of choice is Windows, I would agree. Since open source graphics drivers don't exist on Windows, all you can do is tell the user to grab the latest drivers from Intel or their manufacturer. If the latest drivers don't fully support OpenGL 2.1, the user is out of luck -- either Intel chose not to implement the drivers to live up to the hardware's potential, or the hardware is simply incapable of doing the job. Either way, the user is "[email protected]% out of luck".

If their platform is Linux, and they're using at least an X3100 / 965G / 965GM chipset, they are very likely to be able to garner some success by using the instructions in my previous post. This would also apply to people using ATI/AMD or Nvidia cards, who want or need to use the open source graphics stack rather than the vendor-supplied proprietary drivers.

fb_joel wrote:Do you agree with this assessment, just to confirm? If there's a way to get these chips run the games on Windows I'd love to hear that. :)

Again, the Windows topic is a bit of a hijack of this thread, and I don't have a good answer. If it doesn't work, and there's no driver update available, you could try replacing your OpenGL DLLs with a fast software implementation -- several exist -- but you're unlikely to get more than 3 or 4 fps, which is even worse than what you can get with Mesa doing hardware acceleration on the 965GM chipset.

fb_joel wrote:As for the Linux support, am I incorrect in assuming that if a graphics card can't run the game(s) on Windows, chances are it would not be able to run the game(s) on Linux either? I've just always assumed that it's the hardware that really dictates things and drivers generally allow the same features on all platforms (give or take, and I guess it takes longer for some platforms to get sufficient drivers etc).

Well, the way that the Windows graphics stack is designed vs. the Linux stack complicates things quite a bit! :)

First, realize this simple fact: for any given 3d acceleration graphics driver, the driver implementation may elect to use some, none, all, or any subset of the hardware features of the graphics card. Nowhere is it written that graphics drivers must utilize all of the hardware's features. Nor is it true that a graphics driver cannot claim support for features or API versions that are not supported in the hardware: if the driver developer thinks they can deliver a "reasonable" level of performance by emulating certain functions in software, then it's their prerogative to do that. You can even go to the extreme and implement the entire driver in software.

My understanding is that the Mesa 3d stack in particular, on Linux, "tries very hard" to mend the deficiencies of inadequate hardware using software fallbacks. Some of these fallbacks perform just fine, and some of them are unacceptably slow. But in general, Mesa supports a very generous level of OpenGL API support, even on hardware that may not fully support all the functions required. (Aside: Conversely, we've seen several examples of Intel drivers on Windows for various chipsets supporting a disappointingly low version of DirectX and OpenGL, even on more capable hardware.)

This is partly because large swaths of Mesa (and especially Gallium3d, a subset of Mesa with a next-generation architecture) is designed to be shared between all graphics cards. So, whereas on Windows you have ATI, Intel and Nvidia "doing their own thing" (more or less), with Mesa you have this common code base, including things such as a GLSL compiler and hardware-independent implementations of many GL extensions. And the code is written in such a way that drivers just "plug in" to the common infrastructure, and bam! -- this whole set of GL functions is supported. But the common code has to be written in a way that, if the hardware doesn't support XYZ feature, a decent software fallback is attempted if it makes sense, rather than saying "we don't support that extension".

You can also do hardware fallbacks, too! My favorite example is this: ATI won't publish the specifications to their "UVD2" video decoding chip on their graphics cards. So, if we want hardware video decoding in the open source drivers, we can't use the efficient functions of the UVD2, because we don't understand how it works. But! Since the shader pipeline of modern GPUs is generally programmable, we can write shaders that do the same video decoding work as UVD2! This is essentially a hardware fallback. For best performance, we'd like to use UVD2, but using hardware shaders to do the same work is still faster than doing it on the CPU. Similar "hardware fallbacks" may be feasible in other contexts in OpenGL.

But the fallbacks in Mesa generally don't go too far. For example, OpenGL 2.1 is not supported on Radeon "R200" generation chips, nor is it supported on Intel's 910 or 845 chipsets. It's a delicate balance: if you include too few software fallbacks, then a lot of applications that might otherwise work, will crash. If you ship software fallbacks even if they impose a huge performance hit, then applications will start just fine, but they'll be unusably slow. Users will get a false impression of what their hardware supports, and come to us saying, "Hey! Mesa says my graphics card from 1998 supports OpenGL 2.1. So why is it so dang slow playing Unigine OilRush?" -- this is not a situation we want to get into.

Unfortunately, all this knowledge probably doesn't help you support Trine or Shadowgrounds on Windows or Linux any better. The fact of the matter is this:

• On Windows, we can't do anything about deficient drivers because they are closed source. Regardless of why the support isn't there, we just have to live with the fact that the support isn't there, period. But don't dismiss all Intel IGPs blindly; some of the more modern chips (starting, for the most part, with the X3100 / 965) should run all current Frozenbyte titles just fine, albeit at reduced performance and low detail.
  • On Linux, all the big distributions are going to avoid shipping the patented S3TC compression support, because, well, it's patented. So you won't get an "out of the box" experience there, either, and you can't ship S3TC libraries with your games without violating S3 Graphics' patent. So it's up to the user to go find an unsupported way to grab the required library. If I were Frozenbyte, I wouldn't "officially" touch this patented issue with a 10 foot pole :mrgreen: As of this writing you also have to worry about GL_ATI_draw_buffers, but that issue will disappear once Mesa 7.11 is picked up by distros in the latter half of this year.

If I confused you more than helped, I'm sorry. It's quite a complex issue, and a lot of the facts surrounding Intel IGPs are difficult to dig up. I'll end with some imagery: at some point along the way, Intel (and separately, Nvidia and ATI) transitioned from an older graphics hardware architecture to "the current generation": they moved from a fixed-function pipeline to a generally programmable pipeline. When they made that transition, they opened up support for GL 2.1. Trine, at least, is sitting right past the threshold of that generally programmable paradigm, greeting even the eldest members of the "generally programmable club" with open arms. But you've gotta have your GL 2.1 card to get in the door. :roll:

tsf

Postby tsf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 pm

allquixotic wrote:First, congratulations on following my instructions and getting this working!

Did you enable the "Extra Gamma" option in the advanced graphics options? This helped me a lot. On my Radeon HD5970, the game looks quite a bit better than what I see in that screenshot (albeit it's still pretty slow).

Unfortunately, that does not help. :(

By the way, my graphics "card" is the chip that sits on top of Core i7 M620 ("Arrendale").

Kazuo256

Postby Kazuo256 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:23 pm

@allquixotic,

I had the "Shader Model 3.0" problem and decided to follow your guide. I had given up running Trine so I'd removed it. Then, seeing your posts made me think of giving it one more try.

The only major problem was that my distribution's package manager did not have the libdrm 2.4.24 version (only up to the 2.4.23) required by mesa. So I download it from here: http://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/. I installed it and the rest went fine.

After following all the steps of your instructions, I tried to reinstall Trine and it complained about not finding my /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6, which I double-checked that was really there.

I did what was suggested on this topic then: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3403
It seemed to work, but then I got this message after trying to run Trine:

Fatal error: Renderer initialization failure.
See the log for details.
Aborted

I found no such log.
Now, for the other info you may need:
- My linux distribution is Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bits).
- My graphics chipset is precisely the Intel GM965 (GL960 Integrated, don't know what this means but appears on its description)

Could you help me?

edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention that mesa asked for more libraries than you said on the first step, so a simply got then with my package manager. Can't remember them all, but there was xi, xfixes, and some others, generally extensions of the X stuff (sorry, don't really understand much of linux).

silvergun

Postby silvergun » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm

It works here on Slackware Current 64 bits with an Intel GM45 chipset. But the same way as tsf, the screen is too dark to be able to play and also it suffers from slow down with a 1680x1050 resolution at a medium level of details.

First I installed libdrm 2.4.25 in a package provided by my distribution.
Then I built and install mesa and libtxc_dxtn from git.

And the game worked.

Rizzly

Postby Rizzly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

tsf wrote:
allquixotic wrote:First, congratulations on following my instructions and getting this working!

Did you enable the "Extra Gamma" option in the advanced graphics options? This helped me a lot. On my Radeon HD5970, the game looks quite a bit better than what I see in that screenshot (albeit it's still pretty slow).

Unfortunately, that does not help. :(

By the way, my graphics "card" is the chip that sits on top of Core i7 M620 ("Arrendale").

I have the same problem as you, I also tried what is described here viewtopic.php?p=13970#p13970 (although it isn't exactly related). I have an intel 4500 mhd graphics card.

silvergun

Postby silvergun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:11 am

Also, Shadowgrounds suffers from the same problem of darkness. Except it is only present in the menus, not in game.

To make Shadowgrounds work I had to remove some libs from the lib32 directory of the game. Before that, I had the signal 11 error.

meh.

Postby meh. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm getting a different error message and I quite don't get what's the problem

Code: Select all

> cat ~/.frozenbyte/trine/logs/log.txt
20.4.2011 [18:11]
WARNING: Unable to set to given video mode 800x600x0 (windowed), trying to set closest.

ERROR: Unable to set video mode 800x600x32 (windowed).

ERROR: Failed to initialize renderer
ERROR: Unable to set fullscreen mode

Tried with other resolutions and fullscreen or windowed, same thing.

Running on latest Gentoo tree, GCC 4.6.0, mesa from git, xf86-video-intel from git, libtxc_dxtn 1.0.0_p4

> uname -a
Linux internet 2.6.38.3-zen-00003-gf891a3c #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 19 13:36:02 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

> glxinfo | grep -ie ^OpenGL -e compression_s3tc -e ATI_draw
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel (git-9dacbe2)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ATI_draw_buffers,

tsf

Postby tsf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:29 pm

"meh.", have you tried playing with the libraries in lib64? I remember seeing a similar error.

Here's the ones I've kept:

$ ls ~/trine/lib64
libboost_filesystem.so.1.35.0  libCg.so          libicuuc.so.38
libboost_regex.so.1.35.0       libcv.so.1        libNxCharacter.so
libboost_system.so.1.35.0      libcxcore.so.1    libNxCooking.so
libboost_thread-mt.so.1.35.0   libicudata.so.38  libPhysXCore.so
libCgGL.so                     libicui18n.so.38  libPhysXLoader.so.1

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 pm

meh. wrote:I'm getting a different error message and I quite don't get what's the problem

> cat ~/.frozenbyte/trine/logs/log.txt
20.4.2011 [18:11]
WARNING: Unable to set to given video mode 800x600x0 (windowed), trying to set closest.

Running on latest Gentoo tree, GCC 4.6.0, mesa from git, xf86-video-intel from git, libtxc_dxtn 1.0.0_p4

> uname -a
Linux internet 2.6.38.3-zen-00003-gf891a3c #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 19 13:36:02 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

OpenGL extensions:

The game fails to set the video mode. I have no idea why this would happen. Maybe the OpenGL initialization fails?

You can try removing libSDL* files from lib64. Maybe the SDL shipped with the game is incompatible with your drivers.

Please paste full output of glxinfo.

Also please note that most Intel GPUs can't run this game. I'm not sure about yours. If you can't get the game to work please contact Humle Bundle support for a refund.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

ivanovic

Postby ivanovic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm

tsf wrote:"meh.", have you tried playing with the libraries in lib64? I remember seeing a similar error.

$ ls ~/trine/lib64

For me and my gentoo 64 system I got things down to just removing libstdc++.so.6. Cf http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=14198#p14198

Kazuo256

Postby Kazuo256 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:24 pm

ivanovic wrote:
tsf wrote:"meh.", have you tried playing with the libraries in lib64? I remember seeing a similar error.

$ ls ~/trine/lib64

For me and my gentoo 64 system I got things down to just removing libstdc++.so.6. Cf http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=14198#p14198

Oh, that worked.
But now I got the problem with the game being too dark XD.

tsf

Postby tsf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:09 pm

If anyone is interested in following it, there's the bug on Mesa's bugzilla:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36236

Kazuo256

Postby Kazuo256 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:37 am

tsf wrote:If anyone is interested in following it, there's the bug on Mesa's bugzilla:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36236

It seems they solved it: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/m ... 06946.html
You must understand a minimum of programming though.
Using this together with allquixotic's instructions on compiling mesa should solve it all XD

Thanks very much everyone.

meh.

Postby meh. » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Sorry for the late response, I tried emerge -e world before keep the whining going and it needed some time :P

$ ls ~/trine/lib64

Reduced the files in lib64 to:

> ls lib64
libCg.so  libCgGL.so  libPhysXLoader.so.1  libboost_thread-mt.so.1.35.0  libcv.so.1  libcxcore.so.1

Still the same error message.

alt_turo wrote:Please paste full output of glxinfo.

Also please note that most Intel GPUs can't run this game. I'm not sure about yours. If you can't get the game to work please contact Humle Bundle support for a refund.

http://sprunge.us/FbjY

I'm pretty sure the card can do its job, the problem lays somewhere else :(

Thanks for the time :)

intgr

Postby intgr » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:01 am

meh. wrote:I'm getting a different error message and I quite don't get what's the problem

I got this error when the Antialiasing setting in Trine launcher was unset.

Run the Trine launcher, click Advanced, you will probably see that the "Antialiasing" selection is empty. Set it to Disabled. After I did that, I got a bit further but hit another error; hopefully you're more successful. :)

tsf

Postby tsf » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:03 am

FYI, a new version is available from the download page (Trine-1.64.run). I haven't had time to play with it yet, though.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 pm

allquixotic wrote:Actually, I'll let Wikipedia help you figure it out. To see what I mean about the confusion over the Intel chipsets, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X3100.

Must've been the longest post on these forums ever. :P Thanks a lot - I'm not going to claim I understand all this yet but I'm beginning to get the gist. Sounds like I need to adjust my brain a little bit and give Intel some love. :) The Sandy Bridge helps too.

I'll probably be coming back to this post and the Wikipedia article many times in the future, so thanks again for posting it.

And also sorry for the off-topic Windows chatter, I thought it was relevant but I was at least somewhat incorrect in my Intel assumptions.

I have also updated the FAQ with a list of Intel graphics that can run the games, and will be doing this later for the games' individual sysreqs too on e.g. the websites.

As for the actual thread issues, I don't have anything to add - seems like the latest driver fixes help at least a few people so that's good. :)

Also, I should mention that the "blackness" problem is usually a problem with the shaders. This is typically what happens on graphics cards that are reasonably modern but which we don't officially support - which has included many of the Intel ones, and which now leads me to believe that the problem may be solvable one way or another for at least some of the models. I think this is what many GeForce FX 5x00 series cards also suffer from. We recently fixed this blackness issue for the Sandy Bridge GPU on the Mac (on Windows it already worked fine). (The fix was apparently replacing Tex2DProj with an explicit divide operation and Tex2D, which should do the same thing but caused some trouble on the Mac - this probably isn't relevant to these Linux issues but I thought I'd mention, and I think this fix was also discussed in the driver bug thread linked above.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

meh.

Postby meh. » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:50 pm

intgr wrote:

I got this error when the Antialiasing setting in Trine launcher was unset.

Run the Trine launcher, click Advanced, you will probably see that the "Antialiasing" selection is empty. Set it to Disabled. After I did that, I got a bit further but hit another error; hopefully you're more successful. :)

It was actually enabled, disabling it made it work though, so thank you, I guess I didn't try with Disabled because I thought the blank meant it was disabled :P

Now I just wonder if there's a way to avoid the mouse being kept inside, but I guess there's a thread that asks that, I'll go search around :)

tsf

Postby tsf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:07 am

meh. wrote:Now I just wonder if there's a way to avoid the mouse being kept inside, but I guess there's a thread that asks that, I'll go search around :)

Ctrl-G :)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat May 07, 2011 3:56 am

meh. wrote:Running on latest Gentoo tree, GCC 4.6.0, mesa from git, xf86-video-intel from git, libtxc_dxtn 1.0.0_p4

> uname -a

OpenGL extensions:

Not exactl related but
I have the same GM45 GPU
mesa 7.10
video_intel 2.15
shadowgrounds survivor works

slb

Postby slb » Sat May 14, 2011 3:32 am

I'm getting this error :

ERROR: Cg error: 1 1 (The compile returned an error.)

ERROR: (0) : error C6002: Instruction limit of 96 exceeded; 454 instructions needed to compile program

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with the classic desktop, and the xorg-edgers ppa to give me mesa 7.11.0+git20110513.f247b2d6-0ubuntu0sarvatt. I compiled s3tc. Output from glxinfo:

$ glxinfo | grep -e draw_buffers -e s3tc -e ^OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS482
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_S3_s3tc,
    GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,

Anyone have any ideas on what (if anything) I might try next?

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Some of the shaders are too complex for your GPU. Please post your entire log file so we can see Cg options.

This can't be fixed from our code since your GPU driver is the one with the limits. Can you run Trine on windows? If so then this is a driver bug and you should file a bug with them.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

kur

Postby kur » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 am

allquixotic, thank you very much for the great instruction. Trine works perfectly now on my Intel GMA X4500HD and Ubuntu Natty.

nageljj

Postby nageljj » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks! I managed to get it right on point. I’ve used your tutorial to help others.
I hope that is fine ;D

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”