Linux: Bad performance under Linux (64-bit)

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
donlorenzo

Linux: Bad performance under Linux (64-bit)

Postby donlorenzo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Hey there,

I just bought the humble frozen bundle and wanted to try out Trine.
The problem is that the performance is terrible.
With the "Detail level" from the trine-launcher set to "Very Low" and a resolution of 800x600 the input lag is bad enough to ruin the game. with higher resolution it is unplayable (input lag > 1 second). below 800x600 it starts to get playable but looks horrible.

Now to my System:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Gfx: Nvidia 7100 GS (with 512 MB and driver 260.19.36)

Is Trine so demanding or should it run smoothly?
Any idea or is there any more helpful information I could provide?

I am grateful for any help. I would really like to play this promising looking game.

Cheers,
Lorenz

siyman

Re: Bad performance under Linux (64-bit)

Postby siyman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Hm, I'm running it under Ubuntu 10.10 32bit and experiencing the same issue: It's totally unplayable for me. Hardwarespecs:

Intel Core2Duo T7300 (2x2,0 GHz)
RAM 2GB
GFX: Nvidia 8600 M GS (512 MB, Driver 270.41.03, )

I'll check the game in Windows but I think my specs should be enough. Could it be that pulseaudio sucks so hard or is there any other possibility?

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 pm

donlorenzo wrote:Gfx: Nvidia 7100 GS (with 512 MB and driver 260.19.36)

This is a very old entry-level card and Trine is pretty heavy on the graphics. So no, it shouldn't run smoothly.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:56 pm

siyman wrote:Intel Core2Duo T7300 (2x2,0 GHz)
RAM 2GB
GFX: Nvidia 8600 M GS (512 MB, Driver 270.41.03, )

I'll check the game in Windows but I think my specs should be enough. Could it be that pulseaudio sucks so hard or is there any other possibility?

This should be enough to play the game. Do you have antialiasing enabled? That's a pretty expensive effect. Also you can try without PulseAudio because it's pretty heavy.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

siyman

Postby siyman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 pm

alt_turo wrote:
siyman wrote:This should be enough to play the game. Do you have antialiasing enabled? That's a pretty expensive effect. Also you can try without PulseAudio because it's pretty heavy.

No, I'm not using AA or the anisotropic filters. Nor I play with high leveled graphics. Instead I'm using the lowest settings and a resolution of 1280x800px (it's the native resolution of the laptops screen). After a second testing-session I found out that both, in Windows and Linux its lagging. Merde! Great game, but unplayable. And btw it's also not running well through padsp or any sound emulation.
And another thing: I found some entries here in the board where folks were complaining about a black/blue screen on their Mac/Linux. I got that problem as well and after looking into my terminal I found out that sometimes the kernel modules of NVIDIA drivers aren't up to date to the binary blob which is relying on the system. In my case I had to fully reinstall the current driver modules to get the game working. Maybe it's helpful for you.

R-H

Postby R-H » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Me too just bought the Humble FB bundle and I had issues with graphics in Trine. I am running it in OpenSUSE 11.1 64-bit on a Dell Vostro 220s with ATI Radeon HD3450 256MB. Everything installed just fine and started Ok - until it was time to play. Past the map, at the first scene with the thief I'd get blotched black 'shadows' on moving objects e.g. swining bridge ( but not on the character itself ). That was annoying enough to make it pretty much unplayable.

Sure enough I tried turning everything down and disable all options to no avail. In the end dropping resolution to 1280x720 helped - the 'artefacts' disappeared and the game is running Ok. I also enabled all other options back including AA and high detail.

Funny thing is it's doing exactly the same thing when running in Wine - I also tried the Windows version. It almost seems like my graphics card doesn't have enough memory or something. I do run some games e.g. Trackmania at 1680x1050, though.

donlorenzo

Postby donlorenzo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 pm

alt_turo wrote:
donlorenzo wrote:Gfx: Nvidia 7100 GS (with 512 MB and driver 260.19.36)

This is a very old entry-level card and Trine is pretty heavy on the graphics. So no, it shouldn't run smoothly.

This is too bad. Trine was the main reason for me to buy the humble frozen bundle.

Also I'm a bit disappointed because in the thread called Trine Mac system requirements ...
fb_joel wrote:Mac system requirements
[...]
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256 MB shared or dedicated RAM (ATI or NVIDIA)

So I take it that wasn't to be taken serious (playing at 320x240 is not a viable option). Remember I only get around 5 FPS with Detail level set to very low and at only 800x600.
:(

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:06 am

Sorry for the misinformative system requirements! I didn't pay enough attention with those (I'm so used to all problems being about Intel that I forgot some ATI/AMD and NVIDIA cards exist too which can't really run the game properly).

You can always get a refund from Humble Bundle, and I'm really sorry for the trouble!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

donlorenzo

Re: Linux: Bad performance under Linux (64-bit)

Postby donlorenzo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:23 am

Ok. Thanks anyway. I mean, really: Thanks for developing for Linux at all!!!

I'm not as disgruntled as my previous posts might have sounded.

So, good luck to you all and I hope the bundle becomes a success as the last two have.

Cheers,
Lorenz

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 am

Thanks. :) On our part a big thanks to Alternative Games too, they're the ones doing the Linux work, and although there's problems I think it's on the right track and I think most users are able to play the games now. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Xpander

Postby Xpander » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:57 am

its PC gaming. there are allways problems with some configurations. No matter the operating system.
im pretty sure that 90% of the people who bought it, it just works fine.

Big Thx for bringing the game for linux and supporting linux.
also big thx for fast replays for the issues that players have encountered
Keep up the good work and im sure there will be updates that make the game even more enjoyable for those who have had troubles getting it working or so.
Linux Mint 13 alpha 64bit
* AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3,2 ghz)
* 8GB ddr3 1600mhz
* Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU

michalsc

Postby michalsc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm

donlorenzo wrote:I just bought the humble frozen bundle and wanted to try out Trine.
The problem is that the performance is terrible.

Hello there!

I'm also experiencing bad performance of Trine under 64-bit Linux. I'm using openSUSE 11.4 on quad-core 3GHz AMD cpu. I'm using NVIDIA GeForte 9500GT graphics card with 1GB of video memory, driven by newest version of proprietary driver. When I start Trine on linux it seems to perform rather badly, I have to reduce the quality in order to enjoy the game. Since I am aware the game requires quite a lot of CPU and GPU power, I took it for granted that my graphics card is not powerful enough.

Yesterday, I've Trine on Windows7, on the same hardware and, I must say, I was really shocked with the difference. The game runs smoothly, even in 1920x1080 with high details. It's so much different than on linux. Moreover, the render quality seems to be much better. On linux, the game in 1920x1080 mode seemed to have only half resolution (even with all the features and details turned on). On windows it seems to run in full resolution. I can prepare screenshots to express myself more clearly.

Is there a way to make the linux version of Trine snappier? Or is it just Xorg+NVIDIA's fault?

fb_jpk2

Postby fb_jpk2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Yesterday, I've Trine on Windows7, on the same hardware and, I must say, I was really shocked with the difference. The game runs smoothly, even in 1920x1080 with high details. It's so much different than on linux. Moreover, the render quality seems to be much better. On linux, the game in 1920x1080 mode seemed to have only half resolution (even with all the features and details turned on). On windows it seems to run in full resolution. I can prepare screenshots to express myself more clearly.

There is a somewhat dirty manual fix available for the blurriness on Linux, see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3380#p13836

I'd expect the issue to be fixed fixed by an official update soon (I don't know exact dates/times though).

By applying the fix, it should make the rendered quality look much sharper on linux. So that you can perhaps drop the resolution a bit to get better framerates (and still have the game look nice).

As far as the Windows vs Linux performance difference goes... its difficult to know exactly what could be causing it based on this information alone. I wouldn't expect any significant differences, particularly on higher resolutions, where the game is mostly GPU (particularly pixel shader) limited, but I guess there may be small differences in the game implementation causing that (naturally DirectX vs. OpenGL causes some differences), as well as differences in the optimality of the graphics drivers.

Xpander

Postby Xpander » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

if u have cool and quiet enabled from ur motherboard BIOS
then add cpu frequency scaler to your gnome panel (dunno whats in KDE, probably something similar)
and before u enter the game set the mode to Performance. this helps greatly
if its on the setting "ondemand" then cpu frequency might jump up and down and make the framerate bad.

hope this helps.
Linux Mint 13 alpha 64bit
* AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3,2 ghz)
* 8GB ddr3 1600mhz
* Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU

dardack

Postby dardack » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

I"m experiencing great performance on Linux, settings max, 1440x900 and getting 66 FPS average in linux. Almost same hardware except GPU (linux is 260 GTX, Windows is 9800) and windows only gets 18 FPS avg at same resolution. So I really thing it's GPU based then anything.

Although, I did have to completely reinstall Ubuntu to even get the game to run so yeah.

Slart

Postby Slart » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Just thought I'd add my datapoint to the whole "running badly on linux"-thing..

I can barely run the game in windowed mode 640x400 with everything set to lowest. No AA, no fancy things.. everything disabled or set to lowest setting.. this gives me about 30 fps.
If I bump the resolution up to 1024x768 I get about 15 fps.
I've tried with compiz enabled/disabled, fullscreen/windowed, ondemand/performance etc but results are about the same.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10, 64bit

My machine specs are:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Memory: 8 Gb
GPU: Nvidia GTX 470, running proprietary driver 260.19.29

I'm not unhappy or anything.. I can still run the game in windows.. although it would be nice to be able to run it in linux.

(updated the nvidia driver to 270 something.. quite a big improvement)
Last edited by Slart on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubigrasu

Postby dubigrasu » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:22 pm

I play Trine at 1280x1024 with everything at maximum.
I can also force (from nvidia-settings) the antialising at 16x and anisotropic also at 16x.
This way the average framerate after 10 min of gameplay is 62 FPS. Never saw the framerate at below 60. Quality of the image = like a dream :)
I suppose I can still play it OK at even higher resolution.

Specs:
MandrivaLinux 2011.0 x64
AMD X4 965
Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 (nvidia driver = 270.30)
4 GB RAM

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”