almost 200% cpu usage on Macbook Air 11"

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
webman2k

almost 200% cpu usage on Macbook Air 11"

Postby webman2k » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:50 am

Hey There,

I just bought the new bundle, and tried out Trine first. The game is amazing! One issue though - although I'm not sure it's an "issue" with the game... on my new Macbook Air 11" (64g model - late 2010) the game runs great, but the cpu usage is through the roof. I've never seen this before on any other game. It uses every spare cycle it can, averaging close to 200% usage. Is this normal?

-Mark

zpmxmti

Re: almost 200% cpu usage on Macbook Air 11"

Postby zpmxmti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 am

My Mac has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo and Trine uses about 190% of the CPU in the load screen, menus, credits, etc. (basically everything but gameplay). The other 10% of the cpu is used by Mac system processes. Trine's CPU usage goes down to about 145% when I'm actually playing the game.

fb_jpk2

Postby fb_jpk2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

It is normal for Trine to use as much CPU as possible (to provide the highest possible framerate).

If that becomes a problem for some reason, for example if one's computer tends to overheat on heavy load, the framerate can be limited by opening the game console with F8 and writing /render_max_fps 30 - which would limit the framerate to 30 (if I remembered it right). I'm not sure if this works on the Mac version though. And also, if the game is already running at about 30 FPS or lower, limiting it to that value has no effect (then you would have to cap it lower, say, to 25 fps or so).

Of course this varies greatly on the CPU vs. graphics card performance, etc. (Having a high performing CPU with a low performing graphics cards tends to make the CPU idle a bit even though the framerate limit would not have been reached as the limiting factor is the graphics card and the CPU has to wait for that.)

webman2k

Postby webman2k » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm

I see, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the console and see if that makes a difference. As a side note, perhaps you should look into a "notebook" mode for this and future games? With the trend moving faster toward notebooks/tablets vs Desktops, monopolizing the CPU over enough time can lead to some pretty hot laps, or even damaged components.

Just a toggle in the preferences (I've seen this before) to cap the framerate, and perhaps other modifications to the rendering specifically tailored to use as little CPU as possible would help out a lot. Just an idea. Thanks for the awesome game!

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”