Toggle fullscreen on Mac OS X

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
NXTLukas

Toggle fullscreen on Mac OS X

Postby NXTLukas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi,
I would like to play Trine in fullscreen AND switch to another application while being in a level.
I tried the shortcuts you gave for the Linux version, but it doesn't work.
And apart from that it's very bad that I can't switch by using cmd+tab. :(
Most fullscreen games don't have this issue, but it seems that there are some other games which have the same problem. :?
So can you give any advice for the Macs of us?
Thanks in advance.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Toggle fullscreen on Mac OS X

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 05, 2011 6:18 pm

First, sorry for the long delay.

As for the problem, unfortunately Trine can't be played in Fullscreen while keeping the ability to Cmd+Tab. This is a technological limitation (I don't quite understand it myself but it is related to some of the underlying technology).

So the only choice is to play the game in windowed mode by unticking the Fullscreen checkbox in the launcher. Sorry, I know it's not optimal. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

NXTLukas

Postby NXTLukas » Fri May 06, 2011 4:05 pm

OK, :| but do you think that this will be fixed in Trine 2 with it's new engine and all? :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat May 21, 2011 5:36 pm

That's a very good question - I don't really know yet. I can't really promise it, but we will try to make it happen if it's in any way reasonably possible.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kenty

Postby kenty » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I just bought Trine off the mac app store and ran into this problem almost immediately. command+tab and command+h (hide) don't work. I also tried assigning Trine to my second Space via Mission Control (Lion) but it always launches into the main space and gestures don't work to switch to a different space.

This is really bad and is essentially a showstopper for me, whilst in fullscreen mode I'm locked out of my entire computer and if I quit the game I lose progress on the level I was playing, so I don't see how I would ever have an opportunity to play through the game without needing to also use my computer!

Playing in windowed mode isn't a good enough workaround, in order to get it to fill the screen I have to set it to 1920x1200 but at that resolution the frame rate is choppy on my 2010 mac mini. The best performance/quality setting I found was 1344x840 with high detail but in Windowed mode it of course only fills half of my screen at that resolution so the game is much less immersive and enjoyable

At least it was only $1.99... I'd be seriously annoyed if I'd payed full price, especially considering that I also bought the PS3 version for $15...

It's a real shame, otherwise it's a great port.

It's a real shame because this is otherwise a great port.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Sorry to hear. I can't promise a fix for the actual problems as they are tech issues, but there may be a workaround solution to the windowed/resolution problem.

Launch the game at the high resolution (1920x1200), and then go to a level. It will be choppy as you say. Then open the ingame console terminal with Fn+F8 buttons, and you should see a red terminal. Then write (case sensitive):

/render_half_resolution 1

and press Enter. You should see that the graphics become a bit worse-looking and the framerate will be doubled. It's not as pretty but should be smooth...

Possibly the main/secondary monitor launch issue is something we can fix at some point, probably around the same time as we look into these and similar issues in Trine 2 Mac version development...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”