Ubuntu 10.10 - Trine crashes to desktop

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
thomasrive

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trine crashes to desktop

Postby thomasrive » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 am

Hello, and to whom it may concern (aka sympathetic linux users).
I recently downloaded the 32-bit version of Trine for Ubuntu 10.10 -32 bit desktop edition. The install went off without a hitch and I encountered no problems integrating it smoothly into my system. However I attempted to start it up and that is when the problems started. I had set every video setting at the lowest value, and disabled full screen. However, once it gets to the loading screen (before the main menu), the game will crash back to the desktop and no error window shows up. I posted a video underneath:

The video recorder I used was unable to capture within the Trine window screen. However you get the gist. Once the loading bar reaches 100%, the game will shut down suddenly, with no warning or error window appearing.
As for possible problems regarding my use of the Unity 2d desktop interface, the problem still occurs when using the standard Ubuntu Desktop. I have also tested for using the game in fullscreen.

As for my system, I use the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver", downloaded through Ubuntu's "additional drivers" interface.
I have an: HP G56 notebook pc
AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-core processor
3.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532 MHZ
Hewlett-Packard 1604
AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Realtek High Definition Audio

philh

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 - Trine crashes to desktop

Postby philh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 am

Have you tried launching trine from a terminal so that you can see any error messages that might appear?

thomasrive

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 - Trine crashes to desktop

Postby thomasrive » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 am

I am unsure of how to do that. My experience with the terminal is limited to copy and pasting from websites.

Edit:

The program was resolved by updating to the new version of Trine:
http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3422

Thank you Frozenbyte for making a sweet entertaining game that I can enjoy on my spare time, and on my preferred OS.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”