Attempting trine with the open source radeon drivers

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
adamk

Attempting trine with the open source radeon drivers

Postby adamk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:19 am

So, according to a couple of people on #radeon on Freenode, it is possible to get trine going with the latest r600 gallium driver from git. I decided to give it a try (after having played the game through with fglrx) but even after all the updating I did, I'm getting this:

Code: Select all

[[email protected] trine]$ ./trine-launcher
Got signal 11 at (nil) from (nil)
./trine-bin64[0x433c98]
/lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0xfc50)[0x7f3c961dfc50]
Aborted

I've set the Detail level to "very low." r600g is from git today. I'm using 2.6.39-rc5 and have libtxc_dxtn installed. glxinfo shows s3tc is enabled. This is Slackware 13.37 (with libdrm, mesa, the kernel, and libtxc_dxtn installed/updated manually). It's an amd64 installation, but is multilib enabled. I have tried both the 32-bit binaries and the 64-bit binaries, but both crash with "Got signal 11 and (nil) from (nil)".

The only other suggestion I received on #radeon was to remove everything from trine/lib64 that wasn't absolutely necessary to run the game. I renamed the directory, ran ldd on the binary, and copied back only what was missing, letting the game use all the libraries that came with Slackware. Unfortunately, that didn't change anything.

Can anyone else here say they've gotten the game to work with the r600 gallium driver? Or does anyone else have any ideas how to debug this further?

This shows up trine log file:

Code: Select all

29.4.2011 [21:19]^M
WARNING: Unable to set to given video mode 1440x900x0 (windowed), trying to set closest.
^M
ERROR: Unable to set video mode 1440x900x32 (windowed).

adamk

Re: Attempting trine with the open source radeon drivers

Postby adamk » Sun May 01, 2011 12:22 am

Well now this is interesting. Though the native version is unplayable for me, the windows version plays quite well in wine with the open source drivers:

Imagehttp://174.57.84.251/trine-in-wine.jpg

Of course, I'd still prefer to play it natively.

Adam

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Try the unofficial update and play with the antialiasing settings:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3450#p14577

The wine version works because it compiles the shaders to GLSL whereas the native version uses Nvidia Cg which generates ARB shaders.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

adamk

Postby adamk » Tue May 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Better. With the unofficial update the game starts. But, honestly, it looks and performs really poorly.

Native:

Wine:

In both cases, I have turned off anisotropic filter, antialiasing, extra gamma effects, and distortion effects, while leaving render glow on. The texture level is set to medium, though the native textures certainly look much much worse than the textures in wine.

Adam

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Tue May 03, 2011 2:08 pm

The driver does not correctly implement ARB_draw_buffers. Either you don't have the very latest drivers or they didn't fix it yet.

This is bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36236 which is still open. And the comments only talk about r300, not r600.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

whizse

Postby whizse » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 pm

alt_turo wrote:The driver does not correctly implement ARB_draw_buffers. Either you don't have the very latest drivers or they didn't fix it yet.

This is bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36236 which is still open. And the comments only talk about r300, not r600.

I do believe that bug report could be closed.

I have the game running with no problems (as far as I can detect) on both r300g and r600g, but I'm guessing it can vary from card to card, for r600g I'm using a HD5670.

adamk

Postby adamk » Wed May 04, 2011 12:05 am

According to Alex Deucher, ATI_draw_buffers was fixed before the 29th, when I last built Mesa, so it looks like I've hit another bug.

Adam

ivanovic

Postby ivanovic » Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm

This is what I see using r600g from "some hours ago" with my HD5850:
trine_r600g.jpg

As you can see it seems to work okay besides the textures/coloring of the thief itself. This screenshot was with texture level "high" (though I seem to not see any difference between the texture levels, neither in speed nor in visuals!) and everything beside fullscreen active (no AA/AF though). I used the "official" version from HB for this, not the updated/test build.

Interestingly I only get a really low framerate of <10fps. Framerate increases a little when going for 800x600 instead of say 1024x768. The most interesting part is that neither providing higher CPU clocks (meaning switching to "high" clock mode instead of "low") helps improving the framerate, nor that a single core of my system is used completely (cpu load is only about 40% for a core). So something strange is going on, either on driver or program side.

whizse

Postby whizse » Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 pm

It's pretty safe to assume bugs in the driver unless you can prove otherwise, especially considering that r600g is still in heavy development.

r600g is unfortunately still very slow (there's some sort of bottleneck yet to be found) but in your case it sounds suspiciously slow, are you quite sure that you're not getting software rendering by mistake? Use LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose to be sure...

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”