Graphic artifacts cover screen

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
Hellmark

Graphic artifacts cover screen

Postby Hellmark » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Running Debian Sid 32bit, with an AMD64 3800+, and GeForce 6600 GT. I know it is older stuff, but I'm not expecting things to run fast. Anyway, on Trine, when I run it, I have an issue where I get random artifacts on the screen, sometimes so bad, I cannot see anything. For the first Thief level, I have a little rug like piece that comes from her that seems like it gets tugged towards some point on the screen (as I move around, it gets keeps getting pulled towards the same location, so the direction of the pull changes as I move in relation to the spot doing the tugging), and random flashes of semitransparent blocks that cover most of the screen. For the first Wizard level, I get the blocks flashing on screen, but they're solid green. On the Knight, I get a flash of the proper screen, and then it gets replaced by black with bits of texture. It looks like the pulling cloth artifact from the Thief, but this covers the entire screen. Due to this, it is really unplayable. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Graphic artifacts cover screen

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 pm

This is most likely a graphics driver issue of sorts... but one thing to try is to re-download the game and see if that helps. Sometimes corrupted data files cause weird graphics issues.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hellmark

Postby Hellmark » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:51 am

If it was a corrupt download, wouldn't the installer have had issues?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Most likely yes. But you never know, really. :) It is a helpful tip on the Windows (Steam) side, but you're right that most likely the Linux installer would have warned about that. I would still try it just in case unless you have a bandwidth cap or something.

The problem is also that it's the only thing I can suggest, really. The problem sounds very strange. It could be a driver issue.

You could of course check if Ubuntu 11.04 can run the game fine - that would confirm it. I think this could be done with a live-boot, although I'm not 100% sure and might need some additional drivers (at least NVIDIA graphics drivers).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:10 pm

The installer should have died if the package was corrupt. You either have a driver or hardware problem. Do other 3D games work correctly? Shadowgrounds?
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”