HELP:Can't get Trine to work with a PS3 controller on my Mac

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
saldin

HELP:Can't get Trine to work with a PS3 controller on my Mac

Postby saldin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 am

Hi everyone,

I bought Trine (v 1.11) yesterday on the Mac App Store. I have a MacBook Pro 2011 (Radeon 6750M) running Mac OS X 10.7.2. I have a PS3 and thought to use one of its controllers with Trine. I had played DeathSpank on my Mac before with my PS3 controller and it was a breeze to set up and a joy to use.

However, it just doesn't work well with Trine:
* Even thought the D-Pad keys are set up, I can only navigate the menu with the left analog stick.
* In the first level (Thief introduction) when I'm told to change weapons, even though I set the keys, they don't work. The arrows work well using the right analog stick, even though I didn't set it anywhere. The grappling hook however, is triggered by R3 even though I didn't set R3 at all.
* In the second level (Wizard introduction) I can move the cursor but I can't neither levitate objects nor draw boxes with any button (not even R3, which worked in the previous level).
* If no buttons to do so are configured, there's no way to call the Pause Menu with the keyboard.
* What are Menu Option Buttons 1 and 2 supposed to do? They can be set up, but there's no indication to their use.

Please, can someone help me out with this?

Thanks in advance!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: HELP:Can't get Trine to work with a PS3 controller on my

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 pm

I fear we may be out of luck here... The game generally supports gamepads ok, however on the Mac it hasn't been tested all that much. The Xbox 360 Controller works and is default, and I think some Logitech ones also work. Those are the only ones we've been able to test.

One alternative would be to use some kind of an Xbox 360 Controller emulator but I couldn't find any software for the Mac for that purpose just yet.

Do you have a link to the PS3 pad drivers page? Perhaps the drivers have some configuration possibilities. And we'll support gamepads better in Trine 2, so we could add support for the PS3 drivers, and perhaps update them to Trine at some point as well (but this will take some time).

The Menu Option buttons are just the ones used in the menus for choosing a save slot etc (I think they're probably the yellow/blue colored buttons).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

saldin

Postby saldin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:59 am

Hi Joel,

The PS3 controller doesn't use any drivers. It connects via bluetooth and "just works" (as Mac is wont to do :wink: )

Had I known this beforehand, I would've spent a little more and get the PS3 version (since it's very difficult to play with the Mac's touchpad). Do you think it may be possible to get PS3 controller support right for the Mac version?

Thanks in advance!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 am

Wow. I'm going to test this at some point. I'm confident we'll get this working eventually because we have pretty good plans for Trine 2, and are currently configuring various gamepads for it. So we'll test this first with Trine 2 and if we can confirm it works then we'll see why it won't work with Trine 1... However at the moment there's a lot of stuff going on so it will take a while before can release any updates. We're probably talking about ~2 months, so it's quite a long wait... I'll PM you some thoughts.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

saldin

Postby saldin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Thank you very much Joel!

I have an extensive game backlog, so I'll work on it and won't mind waiting a few months. But if PS3 controller support is ultimately decided not be included for the Mac version, please don't leave me waiting and let me know as Trine deserves to be played.

Have a wonderful day! :D

Elvick

Postby Elvick » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 am

Works for me. I did have some hiccups setting it up though. I had to use custom settings, because the default didn't work for me. (though now I think it's because of my issue that I'll mention now)

It didn't seem to "register" my changes completely until I was messing around for awhile. I don't know how to explain it. I got the analog stick working the way I wanted, so figured it was set up fine. Went to play and nothing really worked how it should. Then I fiddled with custom settings for about 10 minutes.

Tried to play again, same thing. Only this time when I went to open the menu the way I did before with the control and exit. I went to 'main menu' and pressed whatever button I had figured out was 'confirm' (I think it was select at that point) and it didn't work. So I push another button that exited the menu instead of leaving the game, and the controls just worked the way I set them up.

So I don't know what the problem was, but it works now without any further problems. I even went to change some of my buttons around (in fear that it would happen again) because what I setup wasn't working well for me and the changes were instant like they should have been in the first place. I don't know what it was, but it ended up working for me.

How long did you fiddle around with it? Maybe if you try again, it'll do what it did for me and start actually using your custom settings.

saldin

Postby saldin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 am

Hi Elvick,

I tried long and hard to make it work in several occasions but couldn't. It doesn't hurt to try one more time... One question, do the settings stay correctly configured for you after quitting and relaunching?

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”