Running Trine makes MacbookPro go into Overdrive!!

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
kev3kev3

Running Trine makes MacbookPro go into Overdrive!!

Postby kev3kev3 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi,

First of all Trine seems to work okay on my new Macbook Pro 15 inch model with Radeon HD6750M graphics.

However whenever I play the game my Macbook goes into overdrive, the fans turn on to 100% and sound like an aircraft taking off, also the bottom of the laptop goes incredibly hott!

Can anyone advise if they have the same issue and if this is just normal, or if there is something wrong with my Mac?

Thanks

Kevin

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Running Trine makes MacbookPro go into Overdrive!!

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 pm

This is probably normal. The game uses a lot of graphics power so the graphics card will run hot, and the Mac will then try to cool it down.

If you would like to make it run a bit less hot, then we can limit the framerate of the game. To do this, open the ingame console terminal with the Fn+F8 buttons, and you should see a red terminal. Then write:

/show_fps 1

and press enter, and then:

/render_max_fps 30

and press enter. Both are case-sensitive and need the forward slash too. You should see a steady "30" on the upper-left corner of the screen (which you can disable with /show_fps 0 ). The game will still probably make the fans audible but hopefully this tones it down a bit. Let me know.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Loge

Re: Running Trine makes MacbookPro go into Overdrive!!

Postby Loge » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:22 am

I have the same exact Macbook Pro model as you (15" with 6750M graphics).

The fan noise has nothing to do with Trine. In my experience, running just about any game on any settings will make your fan noise (and CPU temperature) go through the roof, unfortunately. Also, limiting FPS didn't help the fan noise at all, in my case.

So yeah, completely normal. Play with headphones, I suppose, that's what I do anyway. The Macbook will be fine.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”