[Trine 2] Ubuntu/Linux Audio-Music Stuttering & Popping

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
piotrkrzyzek

[Trine 2] Ubuntu/Linux Audio-Music Stuttering & Popping

Postby piotrkrzyzek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 am

Hey all,

Don't know if this should be in the Trine 2 subfolder or this one, so I put it here instead.

I'm running Trine 2, with an ATI video card and a creative audio card using PulseAudio on Ubuntu 11.10. Graphics: perfect. Audio ... not so much.

Audio plays, sounds effects and music and all ... but there is a lot of audio stuttering and occasional popping. Seems to be unique to Trine 2. All other games I have tried play audio without issue.

I've tried decreasing resolution, turning offing Compiz and pretty effects, lowering graphics quality thinking it might be related to the computer not processing and syncing video fast enough nor properly. Though that didn't help at all.

Any clues on how I can get Trine 2 playing audio properly?

Thanks,
--PK

piotrkrzyzek

Re: [Trine 2] Ubuntu/Linux Audio-Music Stuttering & Popping

Postby piotrkrzyzek » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 am

*bump* anyone have similar issues in trine 2 and audio stuttering?

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:17 am

Hi,

So far we've managed to see this issue on one computer. And unfortunately, we have no perfect solution for it at this time. It would most likely seem to be some issue with specific audio libraries and hardware.

Quoting the known linux issues file:
- Specific systems/OpenAL versions cause crackling noise/music stopping and framerate drops on audio heavy locations.
You could either try to update your system/libraries to newer ones or modify the ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt, by locating the following options and changing their values as described below:
setOption(audioModule, "StreamingThresholdLength", 1000000)
setOption(audioModule, "AudioCacheSizeMB", 500)
These values will prevent the audio streaming and thus prevent some of the music stops, etc. It will not prevent the audio crackling noise though.

Those settings should quite effectively remove the audio streaming (which could cause problems, if for example, the computer cannot read from the hard disk fast enough, due to fragmentation or such). By disabling the streaming it should cause the game to basically load all of the audio files to the memory at once and play them directly from there.

Now, if that does not help or alleviate the problem, the issue is quite likely some issue that happens internally inside the OpenAL / Pulseaudio library / hardware drivers. We'll have to see if we can come up with some workaround but at this time, I cannot promise that such would be available.

We might also add some failsafe option in the next patch, that would cause the game to reduce the amount of sounds played - or something similar, in hope of at least alleviating the issue by reducing the audio-load (and hopefully thereby giving the audio libraries/drivers more available bandwith to handle the remaining sounds properly).

piotrkrzyzek

Postby piotrkrzyzek » Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 pm

I discovered something interesting today. Using regular ol' analog output and regular digital stereo output: the game works perfectly. BUT, if you change the sound profile to "Digital Surround 5.1 (IE958/AC3) Output" that's when all hell breaks loose with framerates, audio stuttering and ect...

Haven't tried the Analog surround option.

Just wanted to let ya'll know.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”