[Linux 64Bit] SG: disappearing sounds

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
Urfoex

[Linux 64Bit] SG: disappearing sounds

Postby Urfoex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:05 pm

On playing Shadowgrounds the sounds in-game are disappearing after playing a while.
Staring to play nothing seems wrong but after some time of playing the game the sounds are gone. It is not silent from one second to the other. It is a process of more and more sounds going away till nothing is left.
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

kryksyh

Re: [Linux 64Bit] SG: disappearing sounds

Postby kryksyh » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Same on x86.

jalan

Postby jalan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:39 am

I can confirm this on 64bit linux. My work-around is to restart the game after every level. Not very convenient but it works for now :\

Is there any information we can provide to help get this fixed?

runequester

Postby runequester » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:51 am

This happens for me as well. Kubuntu 10.10.

Restarting the game works. I tried the padsp start but that doesn';t seem to change anything.

jose1711

Postby jose1711 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 am

same here (x86, arch linux)

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:14 pm

This is a known issue that seems to appear on some configurations. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find a definitive fix for it. You could try increasing the values of "sound_max_hardware_channels" and "sound_software_channels" in options.txt (~/.frozenbyte/shadowgrounds/Config/). Otherwise you should finish the current level and then restart the game.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

sramsesiv

Postby sramsesiv » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I also have this problem on 64 bit Mac OS X (10.6.7)

berarma

Postby berarma » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 am

I have this problem too in Debian Sid amd64. I think this usually happens in high action moments. Almost all sounds disappear except some ambiance sounds, and some enemy or shooting sound heard every now and then.

I've had another problem usually happening at the same time as this one. My mouse buttons get misconfigured and I can't use them. When I go to the control setup screen, the buttons are misconfigured and one of them is set to joydown. This happens in the mid of a game without even entering the options screen. I can't reconfigure the buttons without quitting the game and launching again.

berarma

Postby berarma » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:26 am

I have found this suggestion to solve the sound problem, haven't tried though. I'll let you know how this works when I try it.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3329#p14064

aidalgol

Postby aidalgol » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:08 am

Sounds disappear for me, too, but this only started when I got to "The Weather Station 5," and quitting and restarting the game does not alleviate the issue at all. It's almost always at the same point: when the second attack comes (the one after you're supposed to place the sentry guns) either the sound from my gunfire or the voice overs drop out completely (not just from stereo to mono), and then the other drops out shortly after. Oddly, the sound of the gunfire from the other soldiers and the huge, fireball-shooting monsters drop out last.

This really sucks because, without the audio feedback, it is too difficult (and no fun) to play the game.

I'm on Debian Squeeze Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Mar 7 21:35:22 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

This is probably of little help, but when I finally give up and quit, the following line is in the terminal:

Code: Select all

AL lib: alBuffer.c:1097: exit() 2 Buffer(s) NOT deleted
Last edited by aidalgol on Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

berarma

Postby berarma » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:24 pm

More information that seems related to this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3375&sid=8c57c61e943f7d06c8a3b20bce251e72#p14376

aidalgol

Postby aidalgol » Sun May 01, 2011 11:49 am

berarma wrote:More information that seems related to this issue:

Removing lib32/libasound.so.2 certainly won't work on 64-bit Linux, because the system-installed .so file will be 64-bit and thus incompatible with the 32-bit Shadowgrounds binary.

I tried installing pulseaudion and running SG with padsp, but I get the following error.

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libpulsedsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

As it still runs with audio, I assume it is falling back onto ALSA.

Finally, putting the following into ~/.asoundrc causes the game to run with no audio, but produces no error messages.

# Select PulseAudio as the default sound device
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

Perhaps if Frozenbyte would release a 64-bit build of Shadowgrounds, users could try removing the bundled .so files and see what works, which may provide more information to help squash this bug.

berarma

Postby berarma » Sun May 01, 2011 1:04 pm

aidalgol wrote:
berarma wrote:More information that seems related to this issue:

Removing lib32/libasound.so.2 certainly won't work on 64-bit Linux, because the system-installed .so file will be 64-bit and thus incompatible with the 32-bit Shadowgrounds binary.

Yo should have lib32 packages installed for 64bit distros. The one needed here is lib32asound2 in Debian.

I've tried it and it hasn't worked for me, sound effects dissapear after playing for a while, as before. It might have something to do with the sound engine. Now that the source code has been released we may get a fix.
Last edited by berarma on Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jose1711

Postby jose1711 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:34 pm

afaik only the source code for win32 version has been released

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Fri May 06, 2011 10:35 pm

In an attempt to fix this problem, I ran the following commands to attempt to link all the libraries that seemed to be related to sound to the Ubuntu versions instead of the included Shadowgrounds: Survivor versions:

sudo apt-get install lib32asound2
cd /home/yourusername/survivor/lib32
rm libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so libasound.so.2 libFLAC.so.8 libmikmod.so.2 libvorbis.so.0 libvorbisfile.so.3
ln -s /usr/lib32/libasound.so.2
ln -s /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ln -s /usr/lib32/libFLAC.so.8
ln -s /usr/lib32/libmikmod.so.2
ln -s /usr/lib32/libvorbis.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib32/libvorbisfile.so.3

I still need to take a few hours to play through Shadowgrounds: Survivor to see if this fix worked. It's a somewhat difficult bug to reproduce. Has anyone else made any progress recently?

wea0

Postby wea0 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:49 pm

For me it seems that this problem only appeared after upgrading from Kubuntu 10.10 amd64 to Kubuntu 11.04 amd64.

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Mon May 16, 2011 5:44 am

I tried another little test that involved linking to the Ubuntu lib32 libraries instead of using the ones installed by default. Unfortunately, no luck fixing the sound problem.

It did seem to affect one issue, however. I was used to seeing a line of random pixels along the bottom and right side of the screen during videos. The commands below seem to have cut that down to just some occasional weird pixels along the right. No help with the sound though.

Is there any chance that this might get fixed by a subsequent update? How about if I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.10? Would that fix the problem?

Anyway, here's the commands I tried:

sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 lib32v4l-0
cd /home/yourusername/survivor/lib32
rm libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so libasound.so.2 libFLAC.so.8 libmikmod.so.2 libvorbis.so.0 libvorbisfile.so.3 libvga.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib32/libasound.so.2
ln -s /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ln -s /usr/lib32/libFLAC.so.8
ln -s /usr/lib32/libmikmod.so.2
ln -s /usr/lib32/libvorbis.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib32/libvorbisfile.so.3
ln -s /usr/lib32/libvga.so.1
rm libopenal.so.1 libogg.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib32/libogg.so.0
rm libm.so.6 libXrender.so.1 libXau.so.6
ln -s /lib32/libm.so.6
ln -s /usr/lib32/libXrender.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6

Yfrwlf

Postby Yfrwlf » Wed May 25, 2011 5:16 am

nobodysbusiness wrote:Is there any chance that this might get fixed by a subsequent update? How about if I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.10? Would that fix the problem?

10.10 here, sound problem still there. You'd think it'd be some kind of memory issue since it's a time-based problem, and areas where there are many sounds happening at once also seem to inflame the problem. Is this memory issue occurring in a driver, the sound engine, or the game seems to be the question, and I would guess the sound library, engine, or game is the problem due to no one reporting no issues with certain sound hardware.

nobodysbusiness wrote:It did seem to affect one issue, however. I was used to seeing a line of random pixels along the bottom and right side of the screen during videos. The commands below seem to have cut that down to just some occasional weird pixels along the right.

I get that too, as well as a glitch when the game is first loading where it seems to display the last image in the frame buffer right before the game was closed the previous time. I don't feel like guessing which one of those library links you're doing is solving the problem though, too much work. :wink:

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed May 25, 2011 1:01 pm

Yfrwlf wrote:sound library, engine, or game is the problem due to no one reporting no issues with certain sound hardware.

It's either in the game or the OpenAL library. The game has a certain number of sound sources and when playing a sound it tries to pick one of them which has no current sound attached. This is somewhat stupid but it was done this way because FMOD works like this and the game has too many assumptions about it to change easily.

Eventually, and for reasons I don't understand, the sounds get somehow "stuck" in the sources and we run out of free sources. Then we start skipping sounds and getting excessive OpenAL errors which impact the framerate.

If you want to see this abomination for yourself check out the Jack Claw source, it's there too.

I'm hoping that after the sources are released someone will rewrite this mess.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 am

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense when you explain it like that.

Perhaps there's some sort of "sound-freeing" function that needs to be called, and due to an exception, it doesn't get called in certain circumstances. Just like a regular C++ memory leak, but with sounds. I guess we'll have to wait for the source code.

@Yfrwlf: Thanks for trying this out with a 32-bit version of Ubuntu. It has saved me a lot of time, and I would have been very disappointed if I installed a 32-bit version and it didn't fix the problem.

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:44 am

So... any news on when the Linux source code might be released? I'm a programmer, so I might be able to take a look at the code to see if I can track down the source of the only major issue which is interfering with my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent game.

Thanks!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Here we go finally, sorry for the delay.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Wise Ferret

Postby Wise Ferret » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 pm

I suffer from this issue too on ubuntu Natty 64 bit. Is there any progress (or plans for progress) regarding this matter?

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be able to pursue this in the short term for personal reasons. It's a shame really. The best known work-around is to restart between levels, but even this isn't good enough for many of the important levels in the game. The mechanized levels are particularly bad, and so they end up being difficult and frustrating to play with no sound queues and slower frame rates. It's possible to complete them, but a lot of the fun goes away.

Trine, which was ported more recently, has absolutely no issues whatsoever. This is a shame, as I liked Shadowgrounds better. Why couldn't the bugs have been in Trine?

aidalgol

Postby aidalgol » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 am

nobodysbusiness wrote:Unfortunately, I won't be able to pursue this in the short term for personal reasons. It's a shame really. The best known work-around is to restart between levels, but even this isn't good enough for many of the important levels in the game. The mechanized levels are particularly bad, and so they end up being difficult and frustrating to play with no sound queues and slower frame rates. It's possible to complete them, but a lot of the fun goes away.

With the new patched version, some sound effects are dropped occasionally, and sometimes a line of dialogue is not spoken, which is only mildly annoying.
Last edited by aidalgol on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”