[Linux 64Bit] SG: disappearing sounds

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
jose1711

Re: [Linux 64Bit] SG: disappearing sounds

Postby jose1711 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:12 am

aidalgol wrote:
nobodysbusiness wrote:
I feel a little ripped off, since I paid more than (they said) the games in the bundle would have cost if bought separately, and the only game I've been able to play (without major bugs) is Trine.

there is still jack claw and splot to come to linux so i wouldn't be that disappointed yet

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Sorry guys. :( I should point out that you can get a refund from the Humble Bundle guys at any point, obviously the idea is to get working games and not unworking ones...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Wise Ferret

Postby Wise Ferret » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:16 am

Is there no intention to just fix it (tm)? It is a bug, sure, but it does not seem to be above the ability of Frozenbyte to handle. Fixing it will definitely build trust among the linux community.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:18 pm

It's a very difficult issue unfortunately. The Shadowgrounds games are based on our old code, which is really not quite optimal (as any programmer can see looking at the sources), and the problem is so elusive that we haven't been able to track it down (we being us + Alternative Games). So while I hope we'd get it fixed eventually, it's not looking too good to be perfectly honest. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Here's a more in-depth explanation of the situation by alt_turo from http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3375&p=14085#p14376:

Yeah that code is horrible and buggy. Mac doesn't have FMOD so I ported OpenAL code from Trine to Shadowgrounds. Worked fine except the music was sometimes choppy because sound update was not being called often enough. On Trine this had been fixed properly but it required things like background loading of files which was too invasive change for Shadowgrounds.

So I fixed it by moving sound decoding and playing to a separate thread. Most computers are at least dual core, OpenAL documentation says this is OK and it works fine on Linux. Problem solved, right?

Wrong. Mac threw a fit. No matter what we did the Mac version would always crash very shortly. And I couldn't find the bug on Linux no matter what. So in the end I moved the entire sound system to a separate thread. This at least made Mac stop crashing but unfortunately there's still a bug somewhere. For some reason OpenAL sound sources are not properly cleaned up which eventually makes sound stop working. At this point we'd spent several weeks on this, deadline was looming and frustration was high. So our options were 1) accept choppy music playback, 2) accept crashing on Mac or 3) accept occasional need to restart the game when the sounds bug out. Number three was chosen as the least bad option.

If someone can upload the Shadowgrounds sources to github we can branch a version with our first multi-threaded sound implementation that should work on Linux but not on Mac.

EDIT: just a reminder in case you haven't yet tried it: try increasing the values of "sound_max_hardware_channels" and "sound_software_channels" in options.txt (~/.frozenbyte/shadowgrounds/Config/) as suggested above in this thread. In the Mac version these are 512 by default.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

Wise Ferret

Postby Wise Ferret » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:15 pm

It doesn't help, sound bugs out quickly even when set on 512 software channels.

It is a shame that us Linux users, who bought the humble frozenbyte bundle with intention of supporting games for linux, ended up with one working game, Trine.

aidalgol

Postby aidalgol » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:19 am

aidalgol wrote:With the new patched version, some sound effects are dropped occasionally, and sometimes a line of dialogue is not spoken, which is only mildly annoying.

Damn it! Now Mothership Part 1 is unplayable: when the monsters come out and start attacking in the big generator room, the sounds start dying like they used to in the Weather Station level. Since there are a lot of shadows in that room, the absence of aural cues makes it ridiculously difficult. Not to mention the game's no fun without sound.

vayerx

Postby vayerx » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:15 am

Urfoex wrote:On playing Shadowgrounds the sounds in-game are disappearing after playing a while.
Staring to play nothing seems wrong but after some time of playing the game the sounds are gone. It is not silent from one second to the other. It is a process of more and more sounds going away till nothing is left.

Same on problem on Gentoo (native 64-bit build from github).

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:52 am

So I'm now in the Desura beta, and I noticed that SG and SGS are available for Linux through Desura.

So... has the disappearing sounds issue been fixed for the Desura version of the games? Or has there been any progress made on the sound issue through the source-code that's now been uploaded to Github? Just curious if there's any news about this.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:41 am

The builds on Desura are the same the humble ones unfortunately. No progress that I know of. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 am

I'll see if I have the time this weekend to do something about this.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

nobodysbusiness

Postby nobodysbusiness » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:49 pm

alt_turo: Thanks so much for looking into this! As I mentioned before, this is the only thing that is wrong with Shadowgrounds: Survivor. Everything else about the game is fantastic. If this issue is solved, it will easily be one of the top 3 best games available on Linux.

kaocrat

Postby kaocrat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm also having the disappearing sound problem on the Mac version. It seems to happen on every level after about 45 minutes of playing the game. If I quit and restart the game, the sound comes back but once again starts disappearing after about 45 minutes (the first things to go are the voices and sounds during cutscenes).

The problem with this is that the game doesn't have a save system so there's no way for me to restart the game without also having to restart the level, which is a huge problem.

Please fix this with a patch or something. I really like this game but it's unbelievably frustrating that it's broken in this way.

Running on OSX 10.6.8 on a macbook Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz with 4GB ram, if that helps.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:57 am

Sorry. :( Can't promise a fix either because we haven't been able to find what's causing the issue. It is very annoying for sure. My only suggestion is to complete the level without sounds, usually you're quite close to the end so that's probably better than starting it from the beginning. And of course the refund from Humble Bundle remains an option.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”