Mac: Shadowgrounds and Survivor crashes at startup

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
hal

Mac: Shadowgrounds and Survivor crashes at startup

Postby hal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Shadowgrounds and Survivor crashes at startup on my Mac. The same way like Trine, not even the icon appears in the dock, I just see a generic Finder error message. I use a 15' MacBook Pro 2008 (MacBookPro4,1) with mac os x 10.6.7 on a HFS+ (case-sensitive, journaled) volume.

I found a crashlog inside the folder "~Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports":
Process: launcher [6966]
Path: /Applications/games/survivor.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher
Identifier: com.Frozenbyte.Survivor
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [305]

Date/Time: 2011-04-25 10:32:04.497 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Framework/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
Referenced from: /Applications/games/survivor.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b dyld 132.1 (???) <A4F6ADCC-6448-37B4-ED6C-ABB2CD06F448> /usr/lib/dyld

So I renamed SDL.Framework to SDL.framework. Both games startet after that, but the screen resolution settings from the lauchener, doesn't seems too apply. I always got blurry graphic and black borders on the left and right side.

alt_tuomas

Re: Mac: Shadowgrounds and Survivor crashes at startup

Postby alt_tuomas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:18 pm

This is strange. Are the graphics still bad if you manually edit the settings in /<username>/Library/Survivor/config/options.txt?
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

hal

Postby hal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Then it works, thanks for the hint.

The folder <username>/Library/Survivor contains following folders and files:
config
Config
log.txt
profiles
Profiles
Screenshots

config and profiles are twice present... Please provide an updated version, with folders written in correct case.

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:52 am

Oops, this should only be a problem with Survivor on a case-sensitive filesystem. We'll fix this for any updated versions.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

sramsesiv

Postby sramsesiv » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Just in case anyone else finds this thread before the updates are released:

I found that a work around was to use Disk Utility to create a read/write dmg file with a non-case-sensitive file system, copy shadowgrounds.app, survivor.app and trine.app into it. This addresses the problem of the frameworks (SDL.Framework, etc.) not being correctly case-sensitive and presumably any other case-sensitivity problems in the apps themselves.

In order to fix the graphics reliability problems, I also created folders I called 'Shadowgrounds', 'Survivor' and 'Trine' on the same dmg disk and then used Terminal to create a symbolic link to the mounted volume from within my user/Library/ to those folders. That way when the launcher accesses the config folders with one name and the app with a different name (config and Config), the filesystem on the mounted dmg takes care of it. You have to use Terminal to create the symbolic link because the Finder doesn't quite do the right thing.

Assuming you have already created and mounted a suitably sized (mine is 3GB) dmg called 'Frozenbyte' and made a folder called 'Library/Shadowgrounds' on it:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Library
rm -r Shadowgrounds
ln -s /Volumes/Frozenbyte/Library/Shadowgrounds Shadowgrounds

If you want to keep some of the files in an already created Shadowgrounds/Profiles folder, I will leave it to you to figure out how to do that. Remember you need to combine the [Pp]rofile, [Cc]onfig, etc. directories before you move them onto the dmg volume.

Hope it helps someone.

At first I thought my graphics card wasn't working properly, but now I see the cool distortion effects (flames and water) and all of the high detail textures. I am a little concerned that accessing the dmg may be slowing down the loading of files (e.g. videos) but hopefully an update will properly address the problems.

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”