Create a symbolic link on install?

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
cronjob

Create a symbolic link on install?

Postby cronjob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:59 am

Hello to everyone :)

I have a question regarding the option to create a symbolic link when installing Shadowgrounds.

On the opening install screen (where we are given the choice to select a directory) there is a check box which will let me create a symbolic link under /home/user/bin.

Should I put a check mark in the box for that option or accept the default and click next?

The install for Trine2 does not have this option during install. So, I am curious as to why we are being given the choice to do so on the older of the two games?

tayl

xolotl

Re: Create a symbolic link on install?

Postby xolotl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 pm

cronjob wrote:Should I put a check mark in the box for that option or accept the default and click next?

Well, that would sort of depend on whether or not you want a symlink in ~/bin. :) The symlink would be useful if you typically launch applications from a terminal, rather than double-clicking on a shortcut or selecting it from a menu.

However, for what it's worth, on my system at least the symlinks didn't actually get created, so I suspect that there's a bug in the installer preventing that checkbox from having an effect. So this is all fairly academic, anyway.

cronjob

Re: Create a symbolic link on install?

Postby cronjob » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:25 am

xolotl wrote:
cronjob wrote:Should I put a check mark in the box for that option or accept the default and click next?

Well, that would sort of depend on whether or not you want a symlink in ~/bin. :) The symlink would be useful if you typically launch applications from a terminal, rather than double-clicking on a shortcut or selecting it from a menu.

However, for what it's worth, on my system at least the symlinks didn't actually get created, so I suspect that there's a bug in the installer preventing that checkbox from having an effect. So this is all fairly academic, anyway.

I went ahead and checked it anyway. I thought it would make sure the games were in the path. I'm not launching them from the command line, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the the reply ...

tayl

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”