SG/SGS too slow in Debian Squeeze

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
utrrrongeeb

SG/SGS too slow in Debian Squeeze

Postby utrrrongeeb » Fri May 13, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm using a Pentium 4 with 2 GiB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT (via PCI).

In Windows XP Home SP3 with the latest NVIDIAdrivers, Shadowgrounds Survivor gets more than 70 f/s.

In Debian 6.0 'Squeeze' with recent NVIDIA drivers, Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor get below 10 f/s, and are unplayable.
Oddly enough, Trine runs well.

What should I try to fix this? [besides upgrading the nvidia driver]

All framerates are at low resolution and lowest settings.

alt_turo

Re: SG/SGS too slow in Debian Squeeze

Postby alt_turo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 am

Make sure you have 32-bit Nvidia compatibility libraries installed. Trine has native 64-bit version, Shadowgrounds does not.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

utrrrongeeb

Postby utrrrongeeb » Tue May 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks for replying!

utrrrongeeb wrote:I'm using a Pentium 4 with 2 GiB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT (via PCI).

Pentium 4 aren't 64-bit.

I upgraded the nvidia Linux driver -- not much improvement. It isn't actually unplayable, but SG doesn't exceed 13 f/s, and SGS is usually about 4 f/s.

Trine runs, in the same GNU/Linux, at 800x600, mostly-maxed settings, and only occasionally dips below 30 f/s. It's beautiful!

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Then this is really strange. I'm sorry but I think we are out of ideas this time.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

jussip

Postby jussip » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:36 pm

I have the same thing on several different machines.

On my Macbook Pro with 64 bit Ubuntu Survivor is incredibly slow, maybe 5 fps. Going down to 640x480 with low res textures is slow. Even moving the mouse during story texts is slow. In the main menu it is smooth.

In OSX it is mostly playable but still not thoroughly enjoyable, especially when you switch on the flashlight. Trine in OSX is smooth and flawless.

On a 32 bit Fedora machine with nVidia Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] using NVidia drivers Survivor is also unplayable.

utrrrongeeb

Postby utrrrongeeb » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:07 pm

jussip wrote:I have the same thing on several different machines.

So it isn't an isolated incident then! Is your Macbook Pro's video accelerator nVidia too?

I've just built a new system, and once I figure out how to compile open-source Linux ATI drivers in 32-bit for 64-bit Debian, I'll report how SG and SGS run on it.

jussip

Postby jussip » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:54 am

utrrrongeeb wrote:So it isn't an isolated incident then! Is your Macbook Pro's video accelerator nVidia too?

No, it's an Intel. One of the new ones that only started working after the update.

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”