Mac: Gamma problem

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
peko

Mac: Gamma problem

Postby peko » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:14 am

Hi
I'm having a problem with changing gamma in shadowgrounds (and survivor, all tests I've done on shadow grounds I've also done on survivor). When I try to change the gamma, no matter where on the range I put it it always revert to the same level. That is even if I set the gamma to the highest setting the game doesn't get any lighter (nor darker if set to lowest).
While I move the meter around I can see changes but after like half a second those revert to the same level. I did it in windowed mode (which I'm likely to use), then moving the gamma meter around would affect the entire monitor not just the shadowgrounds window, and then, again, revert to it's original level in about half a second.
This isn't a problem if I run the game fullscreen, then I can just use the global brightness controls, it's just an issue when I want to run it in a window.
I'm on a mid 2010 iMac running OSX 10.7.1
Otherwise thanks for a great game!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Mac: Gamma problem

Postby fb_joel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:23 pm

I can't think of anything that would cause this but it would not be a big surprise if the gamma slider is a bit broken. The games are based on rather old code and might have this kind of issues...

Have you tried if the gamma slider works in Trine? That would be a good thing to test.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

peko

Postby peko » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 pm

The brightness slider in Trine doesn't seem to do anything at all.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Ok, I think what's happened here is that nobody has actually tested this feature on the Mac. So whatever we use to achieve this on Windows isn't working on the Mac. I'll try to double-check this myself at some point but right now I'm ready to say that the feature is broken in the Mac version. (Although it seems like it works a tiny bit better in the SG games so it could be something else as well.)

So at the moment I can't offer any good solution to this. Sorry. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 am

fb_joel wrote:Although it seems like it works a tiny bit better in the SG games so it could be something else as well.

A completely different code base for one :) On Linux and Mac SG/SGS we mess around with SDL gamma ramps. On most systems this works.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”