Mac Lag

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor.
thedufer

Mac Lag

Postby thedufer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 am

Every 5 minutes or so the game slows down from a framerate that isn't noticeable (probably over 15-20fps) to about 12 frames per minute. Yes, per minute. Usually holding escape until the menu comes up and waiting a minute fixes things, but every once in a while (at least once per run through the second level, which is why I haven't gotten past it) it get to this unplayable state and doesn't get better. I'm running it on a MacBook Air running Lion with 4GB RAM, 1.7GHz dual-core i5 and graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 w/ 384MB RAM.

Anything I can do to get you better info on what's going on?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Mac Lag

Postby fb_joel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear. This is indeed a known issue but unfortunately we don't have a fix. :( It is most likely related to sounds, as that's what tracing the problem reveals, but the cause is very elusive.

One theory is also that if you avoid using the Pulse Rifle, the problem won't happen as often. This is unconfirmed though.

Shadowgrounds Survivor has smaller levels and doesn't suffer from this as bad, but it does occur in that game too at times. A similar issue has happened with Trine a few times too but that's for a different reason...

So unfortunately there's not much to do. :( I may suggest asking Humble Bundle for a refund, as I cannot promise we'll ever be able to fix this properly. (It only happens to some Macs, although it's not very rare either.) Sorry! :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kccricket

Postby kccricket » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 am

fb_joel wrote:One theory is also that if you avoid using the Pulse Rifle, the problem won't happen as often. This is unconfirmed though.

My anecdotal experience contradicts this. I've been almost exclusively using the (seemingly overpowered) pistol through all of the communications array level. In my experience, the FPS drop happens most often around scripted events such as cutscenes or the spawning of mobs.

fb_joel wrote:So unfortunately there's not much to do. :( I may suggest asking Humble Bundle for a refund, as I cannot promise we'll ever be able to fix this properly. (It only happens to some Macs, although it's not very rare either.) Sorry! :(

"Not much to do" means there's at least something to do. :wink: Is there, perhaps, a debug build of the main executable that produces a log file chock-full of useful information for whatever frustrated developer gets to tackle this bug? I understand that Shadowgrounds is an older game and Frozenbyte's resources are probably focused on developing the new games, but it sure would be nice to be able to finish the game.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:35 am

Well, "unfortunately" I believe we have that log info already... It points to the sound library but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.

I'm not 100% sure how the Mac versions work with the log files, but you can increase the log level by opening the console with Fn+F6, and writing "/loglevel 5" and "/console_loglevel 5" or so. I don't remember if this actually produces the detailed log that we have on this issue though, might be just "regular" stuff...

There is some hope in the form of the source code - the source code for the SG games it out there in the wild, and some enthusiastic programmer could take a look at it... The problem is that the source code is a huge mess and hard to understand (and a bit hard to get running properly I think), and in general there hasn't been very much interest so far.

We may try this one more time at some point, but honestly right now we are too busy trying to make sure Trine 2 won't suffer from anything like this, and it's going to keep us busy until well into next year...

My best "suggestion" is to see if any friends or relatives would have a Windows PC where you could finish the game (perhaps even in co-op although the SG games do have a few configuration issues). At least that'd be the fastest way... :oops:
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical support for Linux & Mac”