[Code] Implement SDL 1.3 support

Tasks for the Jack Claw project.
alt_turo

[Code] Implement SDL 1.3 support

Postby alt_turo » Thu May 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Description: Currently the code can't be compiled against SDL 1.3. You need to build SDL 1.3 from source and update our code to support it. Make sure not to break SDL 1.2 support while you're at it. The code also requires SDL_image, SDL_sound and SDL_ttf. Those need to be built as well. I'm not sure they even support SDL 1.3 at this time so this might turn out be "interesting".

Why: SDL 1.3 supports features like multiple keyboards/mice and different kinds of OpenGL contexts. Future-proofing the code for when they release SDL 2.0.

Difficulty: Hard

Timeline: At your leisure.

Special skills: Willingness to build development version of SDL from sources.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

AndySmile

Re: [Code] Implement SDL 1.3 support

Postby AndySmile » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey,

I hope, I'm not in the wrong subject for this question, but I think, it makes sense to use a native implementation of OpenGL
and input devices support? On this way we have the complete control about the hardware. I mean, in that time that we're using to implement the new SDL library, we could use it and build in the native solution for Mac OS X and Linux. For windows, it's
already done using DirectX, so why not on MacOS X and Linux either?

see ya
Andy =)

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 pm

AndySmile wrote:Hey,

I hope, I'm not in the wrong subject for this question, but I think, it makes sense to use a native implementation of OpenGL
and input devices support? On this way we have the complete control about the hardware. I mean, in that time that we're using to implement the new SDL library, we could use it and build in the native solution for Mac OS X and Linux. For windows, it's
already done using DirectX, so why not on MacOS X and Linux either?

see ya
Andy =)

It already is using SDL 1.2 (as far as I know). From my experience with SDL 1.2 and 1.3 it should not be that hard to port it over to 1.3.
Writing everything new for Mac and Linux on low level would do nothing good. You would do much stuff others have done before. Why do it again? And also you would need to consider everything and maintain everything on your own. Hard work.
SDL is really doing a great work for that. It has everything inside you need. Many games have used it and proven it worthy.

And you don't need that low low-level access to these devices.
And with SDL you can use OpenGL without problems. Most are doing it. Initialize with SDL and put normal OpenGL commands in. It works. No big deal.

(Maybe I don't understand you question right ^^ (but native implementation of OpenGL and device stuff is so ... low-level))
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

AndySmile

Postby AndySmile » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi,

yeah, allright, that's actually a good point....maybe it's faster using SDL, if it works as fast and well as we need it for the game =)
U said, some other games already using SDL, can u tell me which ones? I don't know a commercial product that was build with
SDL...

see ya
Andy =)

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 am

AndySmile wrote:U said, some other games already using SDL, can u tell me which ones? I don't know a commercial product that was build with SDL...

There is a list of games using SDL on Wikipedia here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_SDL.

The list of games which use SDL only for the Linux port has quite a few large commercial games such as id Software titles.
Last edited by StevenT on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndySmile

Postby AndySmile » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:41 am

thx :) pretty interesting to see that :)

see ya
andy

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 pm

StevenT wrote:There is a list of games using SDL on Wikipedia here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_SDL.

The list of games which use SDL only for the Linux port has quite a few large commercial games such as id Software titles.

And Frozenbyte games :) SG and Survivor are already on the list but Trine and Jack Claw are not. Someone should go add them. I can't do it because I don't want to go anywhere near the conflict of interest rules.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Return to “Jack Claw tasks”