Gameplay Impressions

For discussion about Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, released in 2015 for Windows, Mac and Linux. Is also available for PlayStation 4.
mete0s

Gameplay Impressions

Postby mete0s » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:24 am

Just saw the new gameplay video on IGN and I want to share my thoughts.
First of all, let's get the obvious out of the way: As expected(this is a Trine game we are talking about) graphics are stunning and the music that Ari has made fits in with the visual atmosphere and is quite enjoyable.
These appear to be parts of the tutorial sections for each individual character and i guess i was correct when i got that assumption from the announcement trailer. The footage also gives a nice peek at the heroes abilities.
Apparently Pontius has his Kitesail shield from the start and also his charge, which raises the questions what new abilities will he gain from level ups.
Then we get a look at Zoya- seems like she is an even bigger acrobat this time around- grabbing onto ledges and running along walls and jumping from side to side to go up. This time around she can also use her grappling hook to pull objects and I have to admit seeing her interact with puzzles in such a way with that skill got me pretty excited, because that wasn't the case in the previous games. I know the game is still in development and things are subject to change but i really hope her animation of attaching her hook on an object to pull it gets better, because a rope appearing from thin air is really odd. Furthermore I noticed that the hook no longer attaches to wooden surfaces but to rings- this seems to be a recent change, because she was still grappling on wood in the announcement trailer.
Last, but not least of course, is Amadeus. Appart from the awesome visiual improvement he seems to be pretty much his former self levitating objects or conjuring them to solve puzzles and get ahead, but we still don't know how his upgrades will work, what he will be able to do in combat, if he finaly learns that darn fireball spell. The conjured boxes seem to appear on instance now not by drawing them and since we see no cursor in the gameplay I am curious about how you actually target stuff in the game, if there is really none.
Finally, i want to EXPRESS A CONCERNE. Obviously moving to 3D is a big change and it could be really good for the game BUT this would be the case ONLY IF the controls and movement are on point. I know some of the most common complaints about the previous games are how people felt that jumping is floaty and they can't be precise when jumping and that is why they fail alot and start to rage. I have never had this problem myself and found no problem getting used to the controls, but I really want Trine 3 to have a huge success and I believe that in order for that the movement and controls have to be really smooth and tight.

P.S SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! HOPE SOMEBODY ACTUALLY READS IT :lol: AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, FROZENBYTE!

MarjutFB

Re: Gameplay Impressions

Postby MarjutFB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am

Thank you for your support! Can't unfortunately say anything else about the game than it's coming soon, but we'll continue doing our best. :wink:

Also if anyone is wondering, here is the video that was in the IGN's article about the game:

Kein

Postby Kein » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:39 pm

@Devs

Does the game still uses Trine engine? In the gameplay video I've seen quite a few cases when it (the game) noticeably stutters. Original Trine games featured smooth and fluid animations and performance (on acceptable hw specs) and it was quite refreshing to see after bunch of indies on, let us be honest, crappy Unity engine. For a second I've got worried you've switched to Unity too but I hope it just IGN has issues with recording or may be they've played it on ancient overpriced calculator from Alienware :P

Also, as a follow-up question: can we have the audio-track from gameplay video without SFX? Or release some small OST promo track or something :P

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:09 pm

Kein wrote:@Devs

Does the game still uses Trine engine? In the gameplay video I've seen quite a few cases when it (the game) noticeably stutters. Original Trine games featured smooth and fluid animations and performance (on acceptable hw specs) and it was quite refreshing to see after bunch of indies on, let us be honest, crappy Unity engine. For a second I've got worried you've switched to Unity too but I hope it just IGN has issues with recording or may be they've played it on ancient overpriced calculator from Alienware

Also, as a follow-up question: can we have the audio-track from gameplay video without SFX? Or release some small OST promo track or something

Yes, we are still using the same engine of our own. There has been some updates though.

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power is still under development – so, unfortunately can't reveal much yet, but I can try to get back to these questions later. I recommend to stay tuned for updates! :wink:

Also thanks for your support. Cheers! :)

Borc

Postby Borc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Is swimming still possible in Trine 3? The frog level in Trine 2 was one of the best because of that.

fb_kai

Postby fb_kai » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Borc wrote:Is swimming still possible in Trine 3? The frog level in Trine 2 was one of the best because of that.

Yes, our three heroes still know how to swim, so it's possible :)

Daikenkini

Postby Daikenkini » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:05 pm

2/3 of Frozenbyte replies above this post start with yes.

Yes.

Return to “Trine 3”