Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

For discussion about Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, released in 2015 for Windows, Mac and Linux. Is also available for PlayStation 4.
Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello,

Can you please update the GOG version of Trine 3 (or give an ETA)? I ask this because the game on GOG is still on v1.11 Build 3091 and (among other things) that particular version has introduced an awful performance hit on Linux which makes the game unplayable for me.

This seems to be corrected on Build 3102 (according to the Steam comments/changelog). Ever since I bought the game it has been collecting dust, would be nice if I could finally start it.

User avatar
MarjutFB
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby MarjutFB » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Sorry for the delay!

Unfortunately updating GOG builds has to be done manually which often takes quite long for us, but we are working on it. Unfortunately I can't give any estimates about this either. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Lowering the game's graphics settings might help to the performance, but unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions at the moment. :(

If you have any questions about this, please email us at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com and I'll see if we can do something.

Cheers!

sadesh
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:30 am
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby sadesh » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Even thou they are saying this is a very short game, I am completely amazed with its awesome gameplay experience.

Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:38 am

MarjutFB wrote:Sorry for the delay!

Unfortunately updating GOG builds has to be done manually which often takes quite long for us, but we are working on it. Unfortunately I can't give any estimates about this either. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Lowering the game's graphics settings might help to the performance, but unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions at the moment. :(

If you have any questions about this, please email us at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com and I'll see if we can do something.

Cheers!


I would like to remind you that the GOG versions of Trine 3 are still not updated and it's been 2 months since you replied. Updates take a while on GOG, I agree with you on that, but 2 months is a little excessive (updates on GOG are normally released between 2-7 working days on GOG).

I'm probably coming off a bit too strong I know and I understand the majority of the team is probably focused on finishing Shadwen these days, but please try to understand how I'm feeling after buying a game and not being able to play it for months.

User avatar
MarjutFB
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby MarjutFB » Fri May 13, 2016 9:14 am

Ganni87 wrote:I would like to remind you that the GOG versions of Trine 3 are still not updated and it's been 2 months since you replied. Updates take a while on GOG, I agree with you on that, but 2 months is a little excessive (updates on GOG are normally released between 2-7 working days on GOG).

I'm probably coming off a bit too strong I know and I understand the majority of the team is probably focused on finishing Shadwen these days, but please try to understand how I'm feeling after buying a game and not being able to play it for months.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but unfortunately I still don't know when the update will be added to GOG. :(

If you want, we can provide you a Steam key for the game so you could play there if you send us your receipt at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com. I know this isn't an ideal solution, but would allow you to try the update.

Cheers!

Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 pm

MarjutFB wrote:
Ganni87 wrote:I would like to remind you that the GOG versions of Trine 3 are still not updated and it's been 2 months since you replied. Updates take a while on GOG, I agree with you on that, but 2 months is a little excessive (updates on GOG are normally released between 2-7 working days on GOG).

I'm probably coming off a bit too strong I know and I understand the majority of the team is probably focused on finishing Shadwen these days, but please try to understand how I'm feeling after buying a game and not being able to play it for months.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but unfortunately I still don't know when the update will be added to GOG. :(

If you want, we can provide you a Steam key for the game so you could play there if you send us your receipt at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com. I know this isn't an ideal solution, but would allow you to try the update.

Cheers!


Thank you for the generous offer but that would defeat the whole purpose of why I bought it on GOG in the first place, the DRM-Free. Besides, I have a Steam key for the game already but it's of no use to me.

Again, thank you for your offer.

shmerl
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby shmerl » Mon May 16, 2016 4:17 am

I have another problem with GOG version. It's using obsolete libpng 1.2 for the launcher, and on Debian testing it doesn't exist (it has only libpng 1.6), so the launcher simply fails to run. Is this fixed in the newer version and when do you plan to update the GOG build? Right now it's in the sate of bit rot.

Code: Select all

ldd trine3_linux_launcher_64bit
...
    libpng12.so.0 => not found
...

Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Can GOG users finally get the latest update for this game, please?, Your last patch on Steam was February 9th, that's almost 5 months ago. Also, at the time of my last post in this thread you were busy working on Shadwen but the game has been released since May and yet the Trine 3 update for GOG users still hasn't arrived.

It sucks having to say this, but if this is the way you're going to keep treating GOG users, then please refrain from selling your future games on the site at all, I don't like being treated as a 2nd class customer just because I'm not buying from Steam (And I'm saying this because the DRM-Free version on Humble Bundle is just as outdated).

I cannot even justify buying Shadwen after this kind of treatment, didn't even care to try the demo when it came out. I'm afraid I'll be stuck with yet another outdated game, not taking that risk until you start caring.

User avatar
MarjutFB
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby MarjutFB » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Unfortunately there are still no updates about the GOG version. Sorry! :(

I did forward your feedback about this to other teams and hopefully I'll know more about this soon. This is something we haven't gotten any other requests for, which is at least one of the reason we can't give this a very high priority.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but thank you for your understanding!


shmerl wrote:I have another problem with GOG version. It's using obsolete libpng 1.2 for the launcher, and on Debian testing it doesn't exist (it has only libpng 1.6), so the launcher simply fails to run. Is this fixed in the newer version and when do you plan to update the GOG build? Right now it's in the sate of bit rot.

Code: Select all

ldd trine3_linux_launcher_64bit
...
    libpng12.so.0 => not found
...

Sorry for the delay!

Unfortunately we don't have plans to update the launcher in the Trine games. It's possible that we can do something about in our future projects, but no promises. Answer about the GOG update above. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:56 pm

MarjutFB wrote:Unfortunately there are still no updates about the GOG version. Sorry! :(

I did forward your feedback about this to other teams and hopefully I'll know more about this soon. This is something we haven't gotten any other requests for, which is at least one of the reason we can't give this a very high priority.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but thank you for your understanding!



First and foremost, (among other fixed bugs) the Linux version on GOG is almost unplayable at a decent framerate because of an issue introduced in 1.11 (Build 3091). If THAT isn't a high priority issue then I don't know what is.

Secondly, just because there wasn't a high request from GOG users it doesn't mean they have to be left with an outdated version while the Steam users are enjoying it all. I'll repeat again, if Frozenbyte as a company is unable to support their DRM-Free then just stop selling your games on GOG/Humble (The Humble version is equally outdated by the way).

shmerl
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby shmerl » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Also, GOG can easily help you with packaging. Just provide them your latest tarball. How hard is that?

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Hey guys, we're looking into this. So hopefully some good news about updating the GOG (and I suppose Humble) build next week. More info next week Mon-Wed, hang tight!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 pm

fb_joel wrote:Hey guys, we're looking into this. So hopefully some good news about updating the GOG (and I suppose Humble) build next week. More info next week Mon-Wed, hang tight!


Thank you Joel this is great news, looking forward for this update :-)

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 pm

We've delivered the new builds to GOG and Humble. Quite a hassle but should work once available, hopefully doesn't take too long.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

shmerl
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby shmerl » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm

fb_joel wrote:We've delivered the new builds to GOG and Humble. Quite a hassle but should work once available, hopefully doesn't take too long.


Thanks!

Why exactly is it a hassle for you by the way? Don't GOG just take your tarball and repackage it in their own structure, or they expect you to do all that packaging for each update?

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 pm

The updated (full) build should be up on GOG now (Humble coming later). Give it a whirl! Fingers crossed...

It's a hassle because it's not a very organized process - on Steam we have everything automated, i.e. builds get updated pretty much automatically from our dev branches etc, if it's good, we release it with a mouse click. Everywhere else it's a manual process, so there's a lot of things to double-check, remember, and test. Starts with figuring out what's the correct build and where it is, and store/platform specific things (GOG has the Galaxy client, Achievements, uses the DRM-free Launcher etc, these are done mostly by hand). And perhaps most importantly in this case, we've had some personnel changes and those have a huge impact on "little things" like this. Our QA Lead Henri did the bulk of the work here this time. We wrote down most of the steps (all, I hope), so it shouldn't be too scary in the future, but admittedly with so many games and projects going on ("old" and new), it's easy to let something fall through the cracks... We keep improving our build systems so things should improve in the future bit by bit, the ultimate goal for every developer is to automate as much of this stuff as possible...

The part involving GOG and Humble etc is pretty straightforward, GOG especially has a really fast turnaround and puts up builds fast, delays like this are almost always on the dev side (perhaps with the exception of some console stuff or legal issues).

Anyhow I hope we got it right with the build, let us know how it works!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ganni87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Ganni87 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 pm

fb_joel wrote:The updated (full) build should be up on GOG now (Humble coming later). Give it a whirl! Fingers crossed...

It's a hassle because it's not a very organized process - on Steam we have everything automated, i.e. builds get updated pretty much automatically from our dev branches etc, if it's good, we release it with a mouse click. Everywhere else it's a manual process, so there's a lot of things to double-check, remember, and test. Starts with figuring out what's the correct build and where it is, and store/platform specific things (GOG has the Galaxy client, Achievements, uses the DRM-free Launcher etc, these are done mostly by hand). And perhaps most importantly in this case, we've had some personnel changes and those have a huge impact on "little things" like this. Our QA Lead Henri did the bulk of the work here this time. We wrote down most of the steps (all, I hope), so it shouldn't be too scary in the future, but admittedly with so many games and projects going on ("old" and new), it's easy to let something fall through the cracks... We keep improving our build systems so things should improve in the future bit by bit, the ultimate goal for every developer is to automate as much of this stuff as possible...

The part involving GOG and Humble etc is pretty straightforward, GOG especially has a really fast turnaround and puts up builds fast, delays like this are almost always on the dev side (perhaps with the exception of some console stuff or legal issues).

Anyhow I hope we got it right with the build, let us know how it works!


Hello Joel,

First of all I'd like to say THANK YOU to you and the rest of Frozenbyte for the effort, also a special thanks to Marjut who has been very communicative and friendly throughout this whole thread.

The build you sent to GOG today is performing really well on my Linux system (60+ FPS with a GTX 960), the game is very stable and I'd say it was well worth the trouble. :wink:

Again, thanks for everything.

Amadeus
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:27 am

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby Amadeus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:30 am

Thanks so much for the Trine 3 update, Joel. I’ve been waiting for this update as well, since there was an issue with very long startup times on the Mac version from GOG. That does seem to be fixed now, so I really appreciate your help with this.

Incidentally, the GOG version of Trine 2: Complete Story is also out-of-date—it’s still at build 425, which has an issue with achievements never unlocking. I believe this issue was fixed on the Steam version, which appears to now be at build 447, released in April 2015. I understand now that preparing GOG updates can be quite a time-consuming process, but is there any chance of eventually updating the GOG build of Trine 2 as well?

User avatar
MarjutFB
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby MarjutFB » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am

I'm forwarding your thanks! :D


Amadeus wrote:Incidentally, the GOG version of Trine 2: Complete Story is also out-of-date—it’s still at build 425, which has an issue with achievements never unlocking. I believe this issue was fixed on the Steam version, which appears to now be at build 447, released in April 2015. I understand now that preparing GOG updates can be quite a time-consuming process, but is there any chance of eventually updating the GOG build of Trine 2 as well?

You're probably referring to the in-game achievements? Those work separately from Steam, so the update most likely wouldn't affect them. So, there unfortunately are no plans for a fix. Sorry! :(

So, if you're interested in the achievements I definitely recommend playing the Steam version. If you don't have it you can probably email us too. The address is Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com.

And about the build number, the last fixes on Steam are mostly patches for the Editor, so you're not missing anything in-game.

Cheers!

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Outdated Version of Trine 3 on GOG

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Great to hear it worked! Phew. :) The builds are now up on Humble as well (and they now have a new system that lets us upload builds directly, which is nice as well).

For Trine 2 I assume the above is correct, so we'll probably leave it at that for now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team


Return to “Trine 3”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest