Thrustmaster Gamepads aren't working correctly!

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.

Thrustmaster Gamepads aren't working correctly!

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:22 pm

To make it short, on a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 4 Gamepad the right stick isn't properly supported by the game. Only the left/right movement is detected but not the up/down movement ...
So can this be fixed with some cfg file editing ?

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:09 am

As far as I remember, there were some major problems getting the necessary data out of some Thrustmaster gamepad... Basically, out of all tested gamepads it has been the only gamepad that was really problematic. So I'm not really surprised you are having trouble with it.

However, I think it should be possible to play the game with it, but the default joypad settings probably won't be even nearly usable with it.

Some things to try while in the options menu:
- Test if the game can detect one of the analog sticks as buttons... (try setting one of the sticks to forward, backward, left and right movement buttons). At least one of the sticks should work for this purpose.
- Then try to set the other stick for the joypad axis x and y. If you can get the game to detect the x and y axis correctly, you should be ready to play. If it cannot detect y axis (up/down), try switching the analog sticks... Try to set the other analog stick to axis x and y and the other analog stick to movement buttons. (The game may be able to detect the other analog stick only as buttons or only as axis, but not as the other, so trying both sticks for both purposes may work.)
- If the above fails, try using the trustmaster's button mapping program to re-assign the joypad buttons (assigning one of the analog sticks to some buttons).
- Also, if you are playing in singleplayer mode, you do not necessarily need the up/down axis of the other analog stick. One fully functional stick for movement + left/right aiming from other stick is sufficient when playing with the fixed camera mode (available in singleplayer only) .

You could also manually edit the configuration file, but it is likely that you will not be able to force the other analog stick to be any more functional that way, than from the game options menu. (If the game cannot read proper axis data from the joypad in the options menu, it probably won't be able to do that in the actual game either.)

We'll probably re-test at least one of the thrustmaster joypads during next week... If anything useful turns out, someone will post it here.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:44 pm

I think I can now provide a little more info on this issue...
The problem seems to be the naming conventions of the axis for the right analog stick. Whereas every Gamepad uses a simple "x" and "y" for the axis of the left analog stick, the names for the right stick are not as standardized. Some Gamepads use "RX" and "RY", others use "RZ" and "Z". But Thrustmaster Gamepads use "RZ" and "slider0" for the right stick. So basically all that needs to be done is that the game engine has to also check for the value of "slider0" and then it should be possible to map the right sticks up/down movement to a gamefunction via the options menu.

I hope this information was helpful...

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:47 pm

Yes, that "slider0" statement is correct (we also confirmed this today). The game engine does not recognize that as a possible axis, so it cannot be used in the game.

This issue may be dealt with in future patches. Meanwhile, I suggest that anyone having a thrustmaster joypad uses the trustmapper program to re-assign the right analog stick to some other axis. (I assume this is possible, although have not tested it yet.)

Postby Sticky » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:29 pm

Just for info: I have the Logitech WingMan Rumble Pad and it´s the same problem as above.

I would be VERY thankful if this would be corrected in the patch, for it´s not a matter of only one Pad now and I think there are quite another few Pads that have these problems.

Doomsday

Postby Doomsday » Fri May 26, 2006 10:56 pm

It plays up like this with a playstation controler. I aparently only have rudder on my left joystick. I am going to see if i can remap in windows. Also your program wont read the HAT of a playstion controler either...

Doomsday

Postby Doomsday » Fri May 26, 2006 11:22 pm

My adapter is a Rockfire one i got from maplin. works fine on windows and i cant seem to remap it in windows. Id apreciate it if this small prob was fixed.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat May 27, 2006 1:02 pm

Hmm, we'll see what we can do about this next week.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ungol

Postby Ungol » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Any news on this problem? I have a Thunderstorm dual pad too and the same problem, especially as we play coop.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:46 pm

This and the other gamepad problem may have to wait until next week, sorry.

Edit: And a bit more unfortunately... Basically you should try the latest version of the software for your pad manufacturer. We will fix this but it will take a while as the programmers started their summer vacation just now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Douba

Re: Thrustmaster Gamepads aren't working correctly!

Postby Douba » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 pm

For people like me, who desperately try to get Trine and Trine 2 to run with their Thrustmaster Dual Analog 3 or 4 on Windows 8.1 in 2014:
  • press Windows
  • enter "game contr"...
  • click on "Set up USB game controllers"
  • select your Thrustmaster
  • click "Properties"
  • select the radio button that says "Kontroller: PS2(R) Typ" instead of "PC Typ"
  • note that the axes for "Right MiniStick" change: "RZ Axis" --> "Z Axis"; "Slider 0" (the culprit) --> "RZ Axis"
  • click "OK"
  • start Trine and configure the controls to your likings
Have fun!

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”