Vista + steam wierdness with original shadowgrounds

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
marajin

Vista + steam wierdness with original shadowgrounds

Postby marajin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:52 am

To make it clear here, Survivor works perfectly, it's stable, there's no errors, it's fine and very fun...

However plain old shadowgrounds is pretty much fighting me teeth and nails to not run....

First off I had an error report about missing files, I gather I actually fixed that accidentally by running survivor and it installing the ageia files.

Next I had an issue where it just wouldn't run, it'd crash instantly... There was much tinkering and I'm not entirely sure what I did but it moved to stage 3...

stage 3, the game runs but is frozen at a solid white screen, no movement, no fading, just instantly solid white screen. Sound continues a bit but the game seems frozen... For no reason at all after a few tries this moved on again to stage 4...

Stage 4, The game starts and I see the white screen but in comes the animated logo.. Success I think, it's worked... no such luck, after that the screen immediately goes black with a single white box bound to the mouse cursor, some sort of texture issue?

At this point I'm kinda at my wits end when it comes to personally poking the thing. So I put it to you guys, any ideas why it's so adamantly against working when survivor works great?

Also an aside, any chance we could see support for widescreen resolutions like survivor has? I know the game ain't even running for me yet but it'd be nice to have it support my monitor's native res if possible.

If you want some kind of screenshot/photo of what it's doing just let me know. My system information is as follows:

X2 6000 (3Ghz Dual core)
2GB Corsaire DDR2
GeForce8800GT (512MB)
Creative X-Fi PCI-e edition
Vista Ultimate

All drivers are, as far as I know, at latest available versions. All vista updates applied.

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:36 am

Do you have AMD's dual core optimizer installed? That could potentially help (what you're describing seems to be a common with a lot of older games and not having that installed).

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 18,00.html

This may not fix your problem, but it's still a good idea to have it installed for any other games you may wish to play in the future (you never know what game will be affected).

marajin

Postby marajin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:21 pm

Hmm, I've seen that issue before on older X2s, Never occurred to me to try it for this one. I'll give it a shot now and see....

Nah it still seems to be stuck at the black screen with the white box for a cursor

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 pm

All it does is add something to your boot.ini file, I think, so windows can more properly synchronize both processors, so really, it's a problem with all dual core CPU's.

marajin

Postby marajin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:35 pm

yeah I understand the technical reasoning behind it. The problem is essentially a timer bug inherent from the two cores having different clock speeds. Some games use the wrong method of accessing the timer which makes this apparent. If they used the correct interface it'd be irrelevant so it's not /really/ a dual core problem as much as a software problem...

Honestly I just never thought to try it on my newer CPU though, not that it has made any difference in this case anyway.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Interesting problem. It could be that we've seen something similar before on one occasion but I can't remember how it was fixed or if it was fixed at all...

Anyway, the first thing to try would be to delete the whole game and re-downloading/installing it. Missing files is a big warning signals - there was something seriously wrong with the installation.

Shadowgrounds (the original) doesn't use PhysX, so it's not related to that.

Let me know what a re-install does. And/or verify game cache too.

(And you can use widescreen resolutions too, check:
http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/new/in ... widescreen
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

marajin

Postby marajin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:52 pm

I'd already tried verifying the game cache, it didn't turn up any issues. I'll run the complete uninstall/reinstall now... currently running at 1.1MB/s so it shouldn't be long :P

marajin

Postby marajin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm happy to report it works great now. How odd. I'd have thought verifying the game cache would find that the files hadn't downloaded correctly. Sometimes I marvel at the poor support on steam.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Glad to hear that you got it working. I have no idea why a re-download is sometimes necessary but that seems to solve almost half of the problems related to Steam. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”