Crash to Desktop in w/error after loading bar is 100% on SGS

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
Frosty

Crash to Desktop in w/error after loading bar is 100% on SGS

Postby Frosty » Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 am

Hullo there at Frozenbyte! =]

I sent an email to the [email protected] address 3 days ago, and didn't get a reply, so I am reposting the message here with as much information as I can.

When trying to play SG:Survivor, it goes to the menu screen just fine, so it feels like the game engine loads (if it does load that early), but when trying to start a new game, I get a crash in the EXE. This is with the settings on default, or lower (I was hoping there was a special compatibility mode to try for troubleshooting purposes, but if there is, it must be command line). It happens immediately after the loading bar hits 100%, and crashes to the desktop with a Dr. Watson error. This error happens with both the Steam and the demo version from Meridian4 (most of the other mirrors are corrupt, just fyi) I almost tried to send the phantom log file it mentioned, but then discovered on the website here to send you the .dmp file instead. ;]

I don't know how much is different technically about SGS versus Shadowgrounds other than Physx, updated scripting, abilities and blocks versus full models for buildings. The website for the second game didn't have as many places to go for help, and so I've been lurking here the last few days reading all the posts I could to see if this type of crash had happened to someone before.

I was able to successfully play through the Shadowgrounds demo with no issues whatsoever, and so I suspect the issue with SGS might be with the Ageia Physx driver. I installed both the older required version with the demo, and the latest updated one was installed with the Steam version, with the exact same error happening for both. However, since its the game's exe that crashes, I'm not really able to troubleshoot too much farther without assistance.

I need to email you the dmp file, as the forum isn't letting me upload it wven with no or a .txt extension. My PC specs are below, and I will be happy to provide additional info as needed!

WINXP Pro Version 2002 SP2
Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3354 with game required codecs likely installed. I do not want MP 10 and beyond & hope I won't have to disable video.
Latest Steam, and game updates were installed, but I uninstalled them, and have the current demo from Meridian4's site installed with its options.

AMD Mobile Athlon XP 1800+ 1.49 Ghz <---slows down in busy scenes in Shadowgrounds, but I don't think is an issue
ECS K7S5A Motherboard (retail BIOS, not newest) <---Shouldn't matter I hope.
XFX Geforce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 4X AGP with driver 6.14.11.7474 <---updated to newest Forceware with driver 6.14.11.7516 with no change
Sony Trinitron 20" Monitor CPD-G520 at 1280X1024 <---lower resolution tried, no change
Soundblaster Live Platinum <---older 5.1 card, but plays everything perfectly in Shadowgrounds with or w/o Hardware & EAX on, is fine in menu for SGS

I appreciate your being so helpful in the forums, and look forward to getting SGS to work, so I can buy it. I will buy Shadowgrounds likely on Steam soon, and the reason is mostly that I want to design a mod for it. I want the expanded capabilities of the SGS engine, as I want there to be units with assigned abilities, and want to take advantage of the increased physics capabilities.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Crash to Desktop in w/error after loading bar is 100% on SGS

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 20, 2008 4:03 pm

We did get the email, sorry for not replying yet. We're quite swamped with things to do (only a few of them support, though) so it's taking a while to be able to address things.

You could try disabling physics completely. This can't be done with the Launcher (Very Low has them enabled too, because they are more or less essential).

To disable physics, open the console in the main menu by pressing F8. Then write "/physics_enabled 0" and "/physics_update 0" (and press enter in between). You can also use the Tab to autofill the command. And first you might want to put "/console_loglevel 4" and "/loglevel 4" but they are more or less optional.

Here's an example:

I'm actually looking forward to what this does...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Frosty

Postby Frosty » Tue May 20, 2008 11:19 pm

It worked, and now *I* need to get to work, but can verify gameplay later today. I took a screenshot of the opening lines of Wake Up Call to get an idea of what the game was having trouble with after going to New Game thinking I missed it the first time. I looked at the log file, and it seems it has that information and more, so I think the screenshots are unnecessary? I will send you the log file, and then when you get to it, is it possible to let me know why the Physx doesn't work? I know my GPU is good enough, and my CPU meets the requirements I believe. I am planning on getting a Physx card, but not for a while-I hope it doesn't need one. *headscratch*

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 21, 2008 2:07 pm

// Joel, Frozenbyte team

DarkMajor21

Re: Crash to Desktop in w/error after loading bar is 100% on

Postby DarkMajor21 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Is there any way to make this physics change permanent cause it make it work but i needed to redo it every time a started the game

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Crash to Desktop in w/error after loading bar is 100% on

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 pm

DarkMajor21 wrote:Is there any way to make this physics change permanent cause it make it work but i needed to redo it every time a started the game
Yes, the simplest way is to write-protect the options.txt once you have modified it the way you wish.

In fact, if you have only used the console help so far, then you can just go to the game's folder and into Config and edit options.txt with the same commands. They're at the bottom of the file. I'm not sure if it actually needs to be write-protected, but that's the surefire way.

Now, as for why you are getting the error in the first place... Do Trine and Jack Claw run ok on your computer? You could just be missing the PhysX drivers somehow.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”