Possible fix to Start button crashes

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Possible fix to Start button crashes

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am

If you are having crashes that occur after having completed a mission and pressing Start on the next mission's loading screen, then we'd appreciate your help in testing a fix to it.

To put it simply, download:
http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/help_s ... ission.zip

Simple instructions:
Extract the contents to the game directory, and that's it. Let me know what happens, i.e. does it crash and if so, was the save created for the next mission anyway.

More details:
This package should overwrite two files in Config dir (backups provided as *_orig.dh(ps) but I suggest you take your own in any case), and it will place some files to the Data\Missions dir. Basically this creates the savefile for the next mission at the end of the current mission, so in theory this could help a lot. If this helps we need to do some further tweaks before releasing it as an official update.

You should see clear "starting save" and "save done" messages at the bottom when this works at the end of the mission, and then the savefile should have been created. The game could/should still crash, but at least the save is there so the next mission can be loaded manually.

At this point I'd only recommend this for testing, i.e. if you have a problematic mission, try this and let us know what happens, but I wouldn't recommend playing the game through with this because you may not be getting the correct experience amounts (this depends on whether the game crashes or not - if it doesn't crash then everything is ok because the game will still overwrite the new save at the beginning of each mission, using the normal methods and setting every setting correctly).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Re: Possible fix to Start button crashes

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm

I downloaded this and tested it.

The technical side of this patch works just fine. In the end of the mission it says "starting saving" and "saving done" and also the next level's survival time and kill amount also shows up but it is a bit weird that it shows up on the next mission.

Are those numbers suppost to show on a mission which I haven't even started? Shouldn't they show up on the mission which I just finished? For example the working survival time and kills numbers show on the first female mission even I haven't even managed to play that but I just finished the Oops mission which has the same 0 and 0 remaining.

Anyway, at least the numbers show up now BUT the game still crashes on the debriefing window.

The same symptom, I finish the previous Oops level, the cutscene plays just fine and when it is time for the debriefing menu, the game crashes rebooting my computer. Again the game managed to load the background picture, the same picture which you can see as smaller on the main menu slide show, and then it crashes. No title showing up, no text showing up and no any Start buttons showing up and after a split-second, crash.

When I directly try to launch the first female save game, it does the same thing and crashes.

I have my settings on the ones which I found pleasent and physics are on medium and so on.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Frosty

Postby Frosty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:03 am

I don't remember if you have tried these two things, but if you haven't, try lowering the graphics settings to low with Anisotropic and AA disabled, with all the special effects disabled. I think I remember you still getting the crash with the physics turned off in the config file, and I don't think its the problem for your machine. I would next try disabling the sound, as I didn't crash when I did that, but I only did it once while playing for an hour or so. Makes for a bit more of a challenge too. =]

Thanks for being so patient-I can see how difficult it is, and I've felt so frusturated after the game crashes when I'm all pumped up and into it with full ammo and 5 healthkits feeling like I can take anything, or scared to death like on the Sentry gun level with Napalm when I was almost completely out of ammo and almost out of lives, with his Nova attack being the only thing that really worked, and the room covered in non-disappearing corpses, way worse than the last level which was cake compared to it. *shudder*

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:29 pm

Ok, so this fix to the savegames worked ok, though? So at least now you don't have to replay the previous mission, right? If so, debugging might be a little easier...

The numbers show the experience stuff so far, not for the specific missions. There may be some bugs though (e.g. those 0s).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:04 am

fb_joel wrote:Ok, so this fix to the savegames worked ok, though? So at least now you don't have to replay the previous mission, right?

That's correct. It works and I don't have to replay the previous mission even it would crash after the next level's cutscenes.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:03 pm

That's at least good so we can focus on the other serious bugs...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Viking

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:03 am

Yep, works here as well. Was having a hell of a time trying to get the Inferno level to work up to the point of giving up altogether and uninstalling.

So is it safe to delete those files in the Mission folder or is it really going to muck up the exp given that badly?

EDIT: I put the files back in again as it was crashing once it loaded up Dead Colony but it didn't create the save file. Tried it again just to make sure. When you reach the door at the end of the level it does nothing for a few seconds, still letting you walk about, then fades to black and loads the next level. Then crashes. But no 'saving' message pops up at the bottom of the screen.
Last edited by Viking on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Viking

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Just to add what Shadowstealer was saying about the stats on the savegames. Everything was zero (apart from level of character) up until using the fix in level 18. Once that was done and saved I deleted the files out the directory and it is now stuck at x number of kills and x number of minutes (however many it was for level 17). Looks like this little fix manages to release the stat amounts for the game saves but as soon as it's gone it's back to not updating anything.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:58 pm

The experience stats is something I need to verify before the patch is released. It's worth noting that if the game doesn't crash, then this fix shouldn't affect savegames at all (because the game will overwrite the save anyway at the start of each mission).

However, I just tested and I did get the "starting save" and "save done" messages when completing Runnin' Wild. Are you sure you put all the files back properly? :) I'd suggest re-unpacking from the zip. It's very important the the Mission/Common/mission_common.dhs/dhps are correctly placed.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Viking

Postby Viking » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Just tested it again and still didn't work.
I know from your initial post here it says something about it overwriting 2 files in the config dir but all that's in the zip file is the files that go into the data/missions folder. I assume the only thing that should be in there originally is just the Template folder?
If so, I deleted all the folders bar that one, did a clean unzip into the folder and still no save message coming up.

I've just noticed there is no .dhps file in the end01 folder now but there was when I unzipped it. is that normal?

Perhaps I should try it with another character as I've only been using the soldier. Which character did you use Joel?

EDIT: The game saved NORMALLY when I used the Pyro. But it still did not come up with the save message so I wasn't expecting the next level to load. Weird. Also, the .dhps file has disappeared again.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

I used Marine. The Config stuff shouldn't apply now (in fact, I think it may make it NOT work, so if you applied the earlier Config version, then that could very well be the reason and we'd need to restore autoexec.dhs and autoexec.dhps files back to the originals).

Not having the .dhps files in the folders after unzipping/running the game, is not normal. That could also be the reason. It could have something to do with timestamps of the files (if the .dhs file is newer then the game may attempt to create a new .dhps file, but it may fail due to some things). In such case you should extract Data\Misc\gppexec.bat from the Data1.fbz if you know how to do it. It's a little weird why it wouldn't work already though...

I'll have to check this again tomorrow.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

stoicfaux

Postby stoicfaux » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 am

Try pressing the Escape key instead of the start button. I was crashing repeatedly trying to load the Inferno level (four+ times) until I hit escape instead of start.

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”