Shadowgrounds Survivor technical "try these"

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Shadowgrounds Survivor technical "try these"

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Just a quick thread to remind myself and everyone else of things to try if there are technical problems with Shadowgrounds Survivor (or Shadowgrounds):

- Disable ATi Catalyst A.I. (might help with sudden crashes when ingame for no specific reason, example: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?p=7936953 )
- Run memtest or other such memory utlity (sometimes bad memory can cause random-ish crashes, example near the end (among others): http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=681475 )

(I'll be updating this thread every now and then.)

Edit: right, A.I. not the whole CC. :)

If you have a problem with the menus (neither mouse nor keyboard is able to interact, menus can't be clicked or selected, game can't be launched), there's two choices: Vista + multiple input devices Launcher option (possibly unfixable), or a more rare choice, an interfering controller. Check your HID devices in the Control Panel and try disabling any suspected controllers. Example: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?p=8029782
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Roidal

Re: Shadowgrounds Survivor technical "try these"

Postby Roidal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:30 pm

I think you mean to disable the "Catalyst A.I."

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:25 am

Okay. I finally got time to bug test this thing again and I ran the memtest.

The standard memtest didn't find anything but when I set the address area from the lowest possible to all the possible, the test found 3924 errors. All the errors were between 000fec00000 - 000fee00efc memory addresses.

So looks like I have to buy a new set of RAM before I can finish this game because it seems that the sounds are mostly written to that area because I get less freeze ups or crashes when I have sounds turned off but something else is written there too which will cause the crash anyway.

Also I could try to disable the Ati Catalyst A.I. but I don't know will that help me because I have that many bad ram addresses.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:08 pm

That does sound quite suspicious. I'd suggest also googling that more, to find out that the memtest is not supposed to produce any "false positives" (I have no idea, to be honest). But if the memory indeed has some faults, then that does sound very likely to be the cause of the problems.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:11 am

Ok. I disabled ATI Catalyst A.I. and didn't use fraps because I read from the steam site that it may cause issues too.

But I still crashed. So it is either my computer or the game and I would guess it is my computer and the RAM.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Yeah, I'd guess it's the most logical thing right now. Do let me know what happens if you eventually find out if that was the reason.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:13 pm

I will. I ordered a new computer from hardwareversand.de and I think it will be shipped here in a week or two.

When I finally get enough time to set it up and running and install all the games on it all that stuff, we'll see how it turns out.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Alright, let me know.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”