Micro Stutter.

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
FlukeRogi

Micro Stutter.

Postby FlukeRogi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:39 pm

I got round to gifting my extra Steam copy of Shadowgrounds to a friend the other day, and he mentioned to me that it suffered from the dreaded micro-stutter. I'm talking here about the annoying glitch that has been known to happen to some people in some games like FC2, Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Anyway, I thought that was a bit odd, as when I played through it (maybe a year or so back), I never had any problem - it was always 60fps solidly smooth. However, I loaded up my copy and low and behold, every second or so, there's a perceptable frame of stutter (like the timing for the game is just thrown out ever so slightly).

I'm wondering if this is a known issue/has happened to anyone else, is something caused by recent drivers.

To clarify, this isn't a performance issue, but in case something wasn't right, I've run with minimum settings, with vsync on and off, but the effect persists. The only difference in hardware since I played it originally is an upgrade from an 8800GTS to a 280GTX (my friend is running the same hardware), though I can't see why a better card should cause a problem.

All gfx and soundcards drivers are up-to-date, as is DirectX.

Any thoughts appreciated, or confirmation by anyone else that this is happening to them.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Micro Stutter.

Postby fb_joel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm

If you're still on the board, it would be good to know if it still happens. It could be a hardware issue, something in the 280GTX (or a broader scope of cards). It would be a bit weird but who knows... I would suspect some sort of software problem first though, but it could be hardware too and in that case we'd at least have a starting point (the 280GTX). Sorry for the delay...

Edit: One thing I just found out on the Trine board is that a similar problem was fixed by running the game in windowed mode. So you should definitely try that (I think it's in the Launcher, and if not, in the Config\options.txt file).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”