Questions for the admin

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
CoolBoy

Questions for the admin

Postby CoolBoy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:30 am

A few quick questions for you:

1. Did you make the game engine up from scratch? If yes, will you use it in future games?
2. The demo was great.... But.... I experienced the most framerate drops or so called "sluggish performance" when cutscenes were playing. At first I thought this might be my computer but I read the forum postings on http://www.gamefaqs.com and apparently, other people with state-of-the-art machines are experiencing this lag aswell. So long story short, will Shadowgrounds when it ships to North America be optimized over the demo?
3. Is this the first game produced by your company (by the way, what company are you anyway?)?
4. Would you mind if I mentioned your game on other forums? (I like to make a habit of supporting game companies that I feel have tremendous potential :D )

Thank you.

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:52 am

In the beginning, Shadowgrounds' 3D-engine was a licensed engine called Storm3D by Sebastian Aaltonen (a Finnish 3D-graphics genius). However, since buying the license, Frozenbyte has heavily modified the engine, I believe. http://www.storm3d.cjb.net (pop-up alert!)

Just thoguht I could give an answer faster than the Frozenbyte people :)
Last edited by Sampo on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:26 am

Some answers:

1. Pretty much like Sampo already answered, the rendering engine was originally based on the "Storm3D", which was a DX8 fixed pipeline rendering engine. This engine was was acquired by Frozenbyte several years ago. After that, the rendering engine has had a significant amount of improvements and changes and now it's a DX9 engine with shaders. So, although the rendering engine has some old Storm3D engine legacy, I'd say that nowadays it's pretty much a totally different engine, with a totally different feature set.

And what comes with the rest of the engine (all the other parts than rendering), they were made from the scratch.

About 99% of the game engine was probably made from scratch.

And do we intend to use it in future games? Maybe... (I can't go commenting about our future games at this point, so I can't go commenting about the game engine much either. I'll leave that to the management.) ;)

2. At least SLI graphics cards (when having 2 SLI cards enabled) are known to cause some significant framerate drops. The current solution for this is to disable the SLI support. People with non-SLI cards or a single SLI card are not affected.

We are looking into these low-framerate / graphical error issues as they are reported, but usually they seem to be system/driver specific so replace and fixing them is not always easy.

Personally, I can't say anything for sure about any performance improvements in the North America release (this is something the management might know better).

3. Yes, this is our first game and the company is "Frozenbyte" (Inc.). :)
(There is some interesting company game development history before this game, but I'm not going to go into that.)

4. This is something the management should answer to. I can't give any official answer, but my guess is, that we don't mind if you mention the game on other forums. :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:59 am

4. Please mention Shadowgrounds on as many possible forums as you can imagine. Even better, tell it's a good game rather than completely trashing it, but it's of course up to you :D

(end of official company management answer)

NikkyD

Postby NikkyD » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:08 am

could do... whats in it for me ?

(being totally egoistic :D )

dizzy_2.0

Postby dizzy_2.0 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:38 pm

If you do so, Shadowgrounds will become really famous and then, after Frozenbyte controls the world we probably get some other nice games...

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”