Worst framerate i have ever seen

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:49 pm

Ok, that's good and bad. Now what you should do is to add all the enemies to your mod mission...

Have you tried playing the game in Very Low settings? (Sorry if already asked.)

Does the slowdown happen in all original Shadowgrounds missions?

Also, it might be helpful if you could take a video of the slowdown. I.e. play a mission that you know causes the slowdown, and start capturing video before the slowdown occurs... Fraps is a good program for that.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 pm

I have the same problem...Exactly...The slowdown occurs in the first provectus mission...And only there...Strange. Will try the editor...Can find it though on the website.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:58 pm

Hmm, ok. The more information we get on the missions where this happens, the better. Provectus for example might have some fog settings that could explain the difference...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Well...Something realy bad happened:) The game crashes after I load the provectus level...The first video is shown without the ship flying and then its only black when I tryed to skip it the video the game crashes to windows...Will try the editor...No time now...Have an exam tomorow...German philosophy:) Have a good day.

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:49 pm

The editor crashes when I try to export a map to a game...No use of it at all...

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:50 pm

I think I'll give up for some time and play the game in a year or so...Best regards.

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:02 pm

If the editor crashes on export, then my guess is that you didn't load a mod in the launcher. Is that correct?
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 pm

:) Yes that was the problem...The loaded map works fine...But the problem is still the same...Maybe post just a way to skip the level or post a link to a save from the next level...Just an idea...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:43 pm

You can skip the level by opening the console (press F8) and write:

setMissionSuccessCounter 1

That will skip the mission.

In all honesty, I think this problem is not the same as Psycho-Warrior's. Anyway, we'll try to solve both.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 pm

Well I read the whole tread tryed everything you suggested and nothing worked. I think its the same thing...But what do I know?:) I'll try skipping the level and see if antyhing good would come of it.

sehkjin

Postby sehkjin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:56 pm

I think it is my PC fault...I have a feeling that although I have a 2.4 procesor and 1gb ram and a 9800se radeon this isnt enough...

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:06 pm

sehkjin wrote:I think it is my PC fault...I have a feeling that although I have a 2.4 procesor and 1gb ram and a 9800se radeon this isnt enough...

It should be fast enough, although I'm not 100% sure, because my specs are higher.
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!

Click here for a webclient.

Psycho-Warrior

Postby Psycho-Warrior » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:34 pm

fb_joel wrote:Ok, that's good and bad. Now what you should do is to add all the enemies to your mod mission...

Have you tried playing the game in Very Low settings? (Sorry if already asked.)

Does the slowdown happen in all original Shadowgrounds missions?

Also, it might be helpful if you could take a video of the slowdown. I.e. play a mission that you know causes the slowdown, and start capturing video before the slowdown occurs... Fraps is a good program for that.

No, the first level of the game runs fine. I'll try to run the game at very low settings.
And I'll try making a video with Fraps as well. :)

EDIT: Phew- I *can* run the game well now- I tried reinstalling my videocard drivers yesterday, and now I can run it with no problems! The framerate still drops quite a bit when there's enemies on the screen, but it's at least playable. Thanks for the help everyone. Finally I can play this game...:D

EDIT2: Nevermind...it still isn't completely fixed...when firing rapid-fire weapons (such as the assault rifle), the framerate still drops to 2 :(
"Don't think, just rip your hands off and scream like crazy! MWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!"

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:32 pm

Try to make a video for us... If the problem is truly related to firing weapons, then I think we can figure it out eventually.

We know that it's "normal" that sometimes the FPS drops dramatically, say 10-20 fps, in some missions if the High Quality Lightmap setting is used and the video card goes out of memory. This only happens with 128 MB cards I think. But your problem doesn't seem to be this.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Psycho-Warrior

Postby Psycho-Warrior » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:32 pm

Okay, here's a video (ran at medium settings) :

http://files.filefront.com/Rapid_Fire_L ... einfo.html

EDIT; Well dammit, either Filefront's services are down (again), or it's my browser's fault (I'm using Firefox), but I currently get a blank screen whenever I try to view the download page. Anyone else? I could try uploading the video somewhere else as well...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:39 am

Sorry, no... want to upload it to our ftp? I'll send the login info via PM.

Edit: Thanks to Hedgehog, I was able to get the video. Will post more help soon.

Edit2: Are you sure it's related to firing? Does it happen in Mission 2 if you are NOT firing at all? The video seems similar to "normal" problems with slow CPUs. Maybe your CPU is limited in some weird way. You should try to add like 50 enemies to your mod mission as well, and see what happens.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Psycho-Warrior

Postby Psycho-Warrior » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 pm

The framerate stays okay if I use the shotgun instead...I might make an another video just to prove that :)

Alright, I'll try adding those enemies. I doubt it's CPU's fault, since it can run most games with ease, and it's higher than recommed for the game (The recommed is 2.0 Ghz).

EDIT; Added 50 Brutes + Minigun, ammo and a Rocket Launcher to the map. Result: 20-30 FPS when fighting, three respawns, after that I managed to kill all the enemies. Hmm-m...this problem gets weirder and weirder. It must have something to do with the SP missions only.

On the other hand, I think I'm keeping this game afterall, even though the problem wouldn't get solved. The editor is definately worth it, and it doesn't matter if I can't play the orginal campaign, at least the user-made maps and mods should work, I think, if they're made with the editor.

The support level on this forum is great as well. I've never seen developers replying so actively before.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks...

If the Shotgun works ok, then that's something... it might be useful to know if you can first use the Shotgun and have everything running smoothly, and then switch to Rifle and get the slowdown immediately.

But since you can run new mod missions fine, it gets complicated again. I might be leaning towards the "normal" problem of high quality lightmap and other features causing trouble, but that really shouldn't happen considering your specs. X700 isn't the fastest card, though, but it should be more than enough...

Also, when you get the slowdown, see if ALT+TAB works. This is the kwown "solution" to fix some framerate issues temporarily for some graphics cards. If it works for you too, then the X700 would start becoming the suspect here.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Psycho-Warrior

Postby Psycho-Warrior » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Alright, I'll try it out.

Edit: Dammit, the game refuses to start now- I get the "shadowgrounds.exe has encountered an error and needs to be closed"- error message.

Should I try to reinstall the game?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Probably something to do with the mod configurations I would guess... try launching with or without a mod once, and then change it back. If that doesn't help, then I guess a re-install would work... but honestly I think it's just some small (human) error that can be fixed easily. :) If not, then this just keeps on getting weirder and weirder.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

RuySan

Postby RuySan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:22 pm

i have exactly the same problem as psycho warrior. The game ran ok on the 1st level, but started to chug on the 2nd after rescuing the 2 other guys. It became very slow but somewhat playable, but when it became a slideshow of 1-2 fps on the boss battle.

I have a 3,2Ghz Pentium IV and a 9600XT ATI card. Maybe it's because of the ATI cards....

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:30 am

RuySan wrote:I have a 3,2Ghz Pentium IV and a 9600XT ATI card. Maybe it's because of the ATI cards....

I have also 9600XT and haven't had any problems.
Facts can be changed.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:49 pm

RuySan wrote:i have exactly the same problem as psycho warrior. The game ran ok on the 1st level, but started to chug on the 2nd after rescuing the 2 other guys. It became very slow but somewhat playable, but when it became a slideshow of 1-2 fps on the boss battle.

Is this with the full game or the demo?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

RuySan

Postby RuySan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:41 pm

Full game.

After doing Alt+Tab, and returning to the game solves the problem temporarly, altough its still annoying.

alastair

Postby alastair » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:08 pm

Hedgehog wrote:
sehkjin wrote:I think it is my PC fault...I have a feeling that although I have a 2.4 procesor and 1gb ram and a 9800se radeon this isnt enough...

It should be fast enough, although I'm not 100% sure, because my specs are higher.

Just to chip in, your PC is definitely fast enough, because mine's slightly below the game's minimum spec. (1.2GHz Athlon, w/o SSE, with 512MB of PC-2100 RAM, a 128MB Radeon 9600SE), and way slower than the ones you guys are talking about. I also have to Alt-tab into and out of the game every so often to fix the framerate... maybe there's an option in the ATI drivers that will fix that, though; it seems ATI-specific, from the reports on the forum. But otherwise it's pretty smooth on the default settings (OK, the videos stutter a bit in-game but that's excusable on my system).

Anyway, I can't play right now because I've got Steam issues. But I'm looking forward to getting back to it :-)

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”