Frozenbyte please respond. review postponed.

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
dagon

Frozenbyte please respond. review postponed.

Postby dagon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 am

hi,

I already asked but didn't get any answer from frozenbyte.
I try a last time before writing a negative review on the Dagon's Lair (at the current state the game is good, but really flawed with some bugs and a stupid game protection problem).

2 questions:

- the french patch was announced for first week of february. What's up ?

- the game asks me for CD1 in drive while it's already in drive.
I tried the reg patch, it works after rebooting but makes daemon toolz to crash, so I have to change reg again to use daemon toolz and reboot.
However I NEED daemon toolz to WORK and can't afford to reboot BEFORE and AFTER each game play. Will this be corrected ? Copy protection should NOT annoy regular users. It's an invitation for software piracy at the current state. (would be great to correct this in the patch).

I postpone my review until end's week, waiting for an answer, but won't wait undefinitely.
Last edited by dagon on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dagon
webmaster of the Dagon's Lair
http://www.dagonslair.com

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:32 pm

Sorry - it's still very hectic here, since we're trying to get all the versions finished (and some territories are still not signed with a publisher). I have scheduled 2-3 hours of forum reading/answering time for Friday...

Anyway, the French (and Benelux) patch is coming soon. I am waiting for new .exes from the publisher - that hopefully means that I can release all the patches on Thursday or Friday.

I am not entirely sure if the French copy protection scheme can or will be updated in the patched exes, but I certainly hope so. In any case, I agree that copy protection sucks. But we as developers can't really do anything about it, because it's always the publisher's decision... :?

Just out of curiosity, is the negative review because of the game itself, or because of the stupid French copy protection?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dagon

review

Postby dagon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 pm

ok I postpone the review until your patch is released (waiting till weekend is over).

the negative points of your game:
- stupid protection bug
- some ingame bugs

IF the french patch is released, AND the bugs are adressed, my review should be quite positive, as your game is really cool. Fun factor is here, and old school gameplay has been greatly upgraded with the graphics/sounds and awesome ambiance !

The only annoying part is this damn game protection ! You can thank the french publisher. A friend working in a shop told me there are quite some games returned to the shop because of this protection bug. Now he knows the .reg stuff, but I don't think many shops are looking on the forums to get their games to work.

Another thing you can talk about with your publisher, is that I didn't see a single bit of advertising anywhere on websites. The three major french PC video games just mentioned your game, but no previews, or reviews... no hype = bad for sales !

Take heart, you did an awesome work. It was "just" spoiled by the publisher.
Dagon

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:14 pm

I would like to know does the Shadowgrounds distributor of Finland (Plan 1, I believe?) use the same copy protection as they do in France?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:45 am

dagon, ok, thanks. I'm glad it's not the game... I will have an update on the situation sometime today (Thursday).

Sampo, nope. The Finnish version uses Safedisc, which is less problematic than the French one... There have been a few reports I guess, but nothing major. And fyi, the German version also uses something else and I haven't heard anything bad about that.

In conclusion, the copy protection problems are only with the French and Benelux versions, and I hope that they are solved with the patch. If not, then we'll have to have a serious discussion with our publisher and see what we can do...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:42 am

I had some trouble with my copy protection. Do I contact Plan 1 for solutions?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:50 pm

Sampo, I think you mentioned something about it on the forums once? Be patient, I'll go through the forums next week (schedule slip again :? ).

dagon, the French/Benelux patch won't be released today - I'm hoping for Friday now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dagon

ok np

Postby dagon » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:40 pm

ok, I can wait as long as I have an ETA.

just one more question : is there a way to save game when you have to quit at the middle of a mission, or you always have to start all over again (annoying)

I understand you don't want to let player to save at the middle of a mission, but if there's no way to save when QUITTING, it sucks to restart when you didn't loose...
Dagon

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: ok np

Postby fb_joel » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:14 pm

dagon wrote:just one more question : is there a way to save game when you have to quit at the middle of a mission, or you always have to start all over again (annoying)...

Sorry, there is no way to save during a mission. It's a big annoyance and definitely a weak point of the game. :(

Also, it looks like the patch won't be released today either (we are still waiting for the new exes). So, dagon, I think you should post the review now, and update the review when the patch comes (I'm now hoping for Monday but we have no control over it).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dagon

keep me informed

Postby dagon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:24 pm

ok,

I'll wait a few more days (up to wednesday morning).

Keep me informed.

I don't want to lower the score because of a few bugs and a loosy protection.
You don't deserve that, as your game is good.

On your side, let's try to make your publisher move a bit !!!
Dagon

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Heh, seems like your words did the trick; I just received the new exes. I'm not sure if I can release the patches today, but I can at least make an unofficial release today so you can see if the patch fixes the copy protection problem... If it doesn't fix it, then I have to do some negotiating with our publisher on Monday...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:43 pm

fb_joel wrote:Heh, seems like your words did the trick; I just received the new exes. I'm not sure if I can release the patches today, but I can at least make an unofficial release today so you can see if the patch fixes the copy protection problem... If it doesn't fix it, then I have to do some negotiating with our publisher on Monday...

My french version of the game had no major problem but enormous framerate loss...
Just downloaded your 1.0.1 french patch and it totally messes!!!!

Here's the error message:
" version data mismatch, or required data missing.
Make sure you have all the application files properly installed.
See game website for more info"

So, what's next ?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:Just downloaded your 1.0.1 french patch and it totally messes!!!! Here's the error message:
" version data mismatch, or required data missing.
Make sure you have all the application files properly installed.
See game website for more info"

Well, first of all, the French patch isn't official yet. We don't have the French CDs yet, so we can't even test .exes ourselves properly.

I will check this and the copy protection issue on Monday...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”