Help: SG, Win7, Humble Bundle Edition, and Xbox 360 Pad

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
non_player

Help: SG, Win7, Humble Bundle Edition, and Xbox 360 Pad

Postby non_player » Mon May 02, 2011 4:44 am

Hi there, I picked up the Frozenbyte bundle and am really, REALLY liking Shadowgrounds so far. I've been using mouse-keyboard with no issue, but now I'm wanting to configure a Xbox 360 wireless controller for other people to play it with me. How the heck do I set the right and left triggers to activate Fire and Alt Fire, respectively?

By default, it had them set to turn the view, and Fire was set to, of all things, the start button. I'm not sure why that decision was set to default, but changing the turning to use right stick was easy enough. However, I still am completely unable to get the options menu in SG to detect the pressing of the controller triggers. In fact, it won;t register the pressing of the D-Pad either, and that would be an amazing help for weapon-switching on the fly. I'm not sure how difficult such a feature would be, as I've seen it implemented in plenty of other games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to play this with the Lady, but she's a controller fan, and being unable to use those triggers would be a damn shame.

Loving the game so far. Thanks!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Help: SG, Win7, Humble Bundle Edition, and Xbox 360 Pad

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm

The defaults for the Xbox 360 Controller in the SG games are just "random" - we haven't set them them intentionally. :)

Did the triggers actually work the first time? I remember not being able to use them when I last tried SG (I think they worked in SGS but had some trouble in that game too). If the triggers worked, I would suggest trying to redo the conditions where they worked, because then we could look at Profiles\Default\Config\keybinds.txt file and see what the "key command" for the triggers is and use them elsewhere.

Let me know - otherwise the answer is that the triggers don't work in the game. (We do plan to change this in a few weeks/months as we have planned to rework the whole controlling mechanism, but I'm not sure if this will happen in the end or not.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

non_player

Postby non_player » Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for the response, Joel.

Here is the config file from my "Joystick 3" profile:

Code: Select all

joystick_x_axis = axis_throttle
joystick_y_axis = axis_rudder
controller_type = 0
camera_move_forward = joy-up
camera_move_backward = joy-down
camera_move_left = joy-left
camera_move_right = joy-right
attack = joy-but-8
change_next_weapon = joy-but-6
quit = esc
camera_look_mode = joy-but-12
screenshot = f11
special_move = joy-but-11
console_toggle = f8
change_prev_weapon = joy-but-5
reload = joy-but-1
flashlight = joy-but-3
execute = joy-but-2
attack_secondary = joy-but-7
weapon_1 = 1
weapon_2 = 2
weapon_3 = 3
weapon_4 = 4
weapon_5 = 5
weapon_6 = 6
weapon_7 = 7
weapon_8 = 8
weapon_9 = 9
weapon_10 = 0
open_upgrade = joy-but-10
open_map = joy-but-9

What it appears to be doing is using "axis_throttle" and "axis_rudder" for the trigger calls, and those are mapped to the Joystick X and Y axis. I tried just pasting those onto Fire and Alt Fire in the text file, but no luck.

So far the triggers have yet to be able to work as anything other than the X and Y axis. I guess I could just work around it, but it's a shame to lose the function of two valuable buttons on a limited-button controller. As the game's controls currently exist, the Xbox 360's controller is almost perfect for the number of frequently-used game commands.

It would also be really damn awesome to be able to map the eight directions of the D-Pad to the numbered weapons 1-8, in a style similar to Fallout 3.

I wonder if this will work with a PS2 controller connected via USB. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 pm

The d-pad is probably a lost cause, but the trigger behavior is indeed interesting. I think I'll try to check this more thoroughly tomorrow.

You can use a PS2 pad with a USB adapter just fine, I believe. I'll try to test that too tomorrow (I know we used a lot of "TigerGame" original Xbox adapters for SG back in the day, and I believe I have also used a blue triangle double PS2 adapter for the SG games as well, but I'm not 100% sure).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

non_player

Postby non_player » Wed May 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks, Joel. Let me know what you uncover. Tonight's another gaming night for me, so I'll give it a shot with the PS2 controller.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Here's my sample config for the Xbox 360 Controller:

// Extra padding for loading

joystick_x_axis = axis_rx
joystick_y_axis = axis_ry
controller_type = 0
attack = joy-but-6
change_next_weapon = joy-but-4
quit = esc
camera_look_mode = alt
screenshot = f11
special_move = joy-but-11
console_toggle = f8
reload = joy-but-3
flashlight = joy-but-2
execute = joy-but-1
attack_secondary = joy-but-5
weapon_1 = 1
weapon_2 = 2
weapon_3 = 3
weapon_4 = 4
weapon_5 = 5
weapon_6 = 6
weapon_7 = 7
weapon_8 = 8
weapon_9 = 9
weapon_10 = 0
open_upgrade = joy-but-9
open_map = joy-but-7

So yeah the d-pad and the triggers don't work and aren't used... I tried using the aixs_throttle and rudder for firing but to no avail. I think the game just doesn't know what to do with those controls and there's not much to do. :(

I couldn't really get any changes done with the X360CE emulator, I guess the idea is that it works in games that support the Xbox 360 Controller fully, and then you can map other gamepads to it... but since the SG games don't support the controller properly, the emulator is no help. We'd need a keyboard->gamepad emulator instead but I can't really find any at the moment.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ColdLife

Postby ColdLife » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:39 am

Hey just to let you know you can get the triggers to work on the Xbox 360 Controller. I still haven't figured out the D-Pad, but I keep messing with it to see if I can figure it out. Here is my file. This is for my second controller so you'll have to do some editing. The wife doesn't like the triggers (says it flares up the tendonitis) and she is the primary controller.

controller_type = 1
camera_move_forward = joy2-up
camera_move_backward = joy2-down
camera_move_left = joy2-left
camera_move_right = joy2-right
attack = joy2-throttle-up
change_next_weapon = joy2-but-2
quit = esc
camera_look_mode = alt
screenshot = f11
special_move = space
console_toggle = f8
change_prev_weapon = joy2-but-4
reload = r
flashlight = joy2-but-3
execute = joy2-but-1
attack_secondary = joy2-throttle-down
run_script_9 = f12
weapon_1 = 1
weapon_2 = 2
weapon_3 = 3
weapon_4 = 4
weapon_5 = 5
weapon_6 = 6
weapon_7 = 7
weapon_8 = 8
weapon_9 = 9
weapon_10 = 0
open_upgrade = joy2-but-8
open_map = joy2-but-7
open_log = l

non_player

Postby non_player » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:29 am

ColdLife wrote:Hey just to let you know you can get the triggers to work on the Xbox 360 Controller. I still haven't figured out the D-Pad, but I keep messing with it to see if I can figure it out. Here is my file. This is for my second controller so you'll have to do some editing. The wife doesn't like the triggers (says it flares up the tendonitis) and she is the primary controller.

Hm. Everything works for me using this, except for the triggers. Otherwise, this is a pretty damn near perfect configuration.

How is your controller connected? I'm using a 360 wireless controller, with the official Microsoft wireless PC receiver. Are you running any special emulator software?

Thanks again. This is almost perfect.

non_player

Postby non_player » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 am

ColdLife wrote:Hey just to let you know you can get the triggers to work on the Xbox 360 Controller. I still haven't figured out the D-Pad, but I keep messing with it to see if I can figure it out. Here is my file. This is for my second controller so you'll have to do some editing. The wife doesn't like the triggers (says it flares up the tendonitis) and she is the primary controller.

Nevermind! I'm a dumbass, apparently, as I was editing the wrong file. I took a break from this game and forgot which ones to edit and where. This time I did it right, and disco! All good. You, my friend, are a scholar and a gentleman, and I will name my first-born... wait, no, I won't, but still, thank you immensely.

This information really should be stickied, or added to a FAQ somewhere.

non_player

Postby non_player » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:02 am

All right, here's my modified setup. The sticks control movement and look, as expected. The triggers are primary and alt fire, with the shoulders switching weapons. A = Use, X = Roll, Y - Flashlight, B = Reload, Back = Logs, LThumb = Map, RThumb = Upgrades, and Start pauses the game and goes back to the Options menu.

It's ALMOST perfect. If I can figure out the input commands for those darned D-Pad buttons, I'll be in heaven. Damn, this game plays so perfectly on a controller, too!

BTW, Coldlife, how did you figure out those Trigger commands?

Here's the Code:

controller_type = 0
attack = joy-throttle-up
change_next_weapon = joy-but-6