Shadowgrounds makes my box burn

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
Jodwin

Shadowgrounds makes my box burn

Postby Jodwin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:27 am

I don't know if this is new or not, but I had an almost terrifying experience with SG today (Steam version). I had been playing on hard from the beginning 'till the end of Weather Station 5 and I left the game on for a while in the loading screen of the next level. I was gone for a little longer than an hour and when I came back my computer was way more noisy than it had ever been before - at least with my current hw. I alt-tabbed the game and checked the temperatures and noticed that my graphics card was at 50 C, which is +5 C from my normal temp. The on-board chip was at 42 C, as well +5 C from the normal and my CPU was at 43, +3 C from normal.

I quickly quitted the game and kept an eye on the temperatures: In less than a minute the graphics card was back at the normal 45 C, on-board chip followed soon after.

The reason this jump in temperatures worries me is that on my current setup I've noticed no other game actually increase the temperatures: Oblivion, Morrowind (with lots of plugins), DooM 3, etc etc... all of them stay pretty much at the idle temperatures. But not Shadowgrounds, which heats my system when it's idle. :(

Well, I don't know if it's really a big problem, but if anyone got any tips for how to lessen the load on Shadowgrounds, I'd be happy to hear. :)

My setup:
MSI K8N Neo4-FI mobo
Athlon 64 +3700
Geforce 6600 GT
1GB 333mhz DDR
Integrated ALC 97 soundchip
Antec Neo HE (430 W) PSU

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:16 am

Those temperates are not really high for those components. I run Shadowgrounds with all settings High and have no heating problems, ofc. the temp becomes higher than when my machine is 'idle', but that's quite normal. If other games don't increase the temperature of your machine, then it's more likely something is wrong with the measurement of the temperature.

My setup:
MSI K8N Neo4
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ATI Radeon x800 256mb
2gb Kingston Ram
SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS

I use Everest to measure temp.
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:03 pm

+5 C temperature increases are really nothing to worry about. My laptop CPU temp is normally around 50-55 C, and goes up to 65-70 when playing games.

The increased noise is caused by more active fans, so that's normal too.

It is true that Shadowgrounds probably isn't very idle during those "paused" moments, but it's not really serious. I wouldn't suggest leaving Shadowgrounds running when you go for a weekend-trip, though. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Yeah that's totally normal I have watercooling and my pc is IDLING on these temps: Cpu: 54C, Motherboard: 41C and something on 30C. Maybe memory or something.

But here is damn hot in this room so that's why they are so high but under load they go even higher so those aren't any bad temps.

Under load my pc might go like this: Cpu: 64C Motherboard: 46C and that something... maybe around 36C.

So don't worry, be happy and play the game. d_c(^^,)
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Heidi

Postby Heidi » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:40 pm

My temp are higher than everyone else here... even in idle mode :p
CPU : 64°C
Mainboard : 44°C

And I go easily over 70° ingame ^^
And that is the best I've ever had :

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:28 pm

That CPU temp is in danger zone. Your cpu might start to burn when it reaches 90C temp. You really should check your heatsink and is there enough compounder between cpu and the heatsink. Those temperature are really dangerous. I really recomend you to check your heatsink and compounder's condition.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Heidi

Postby Heidi » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm

I already changed everything and now it doesn't go that high anymore ( at least I hope ^^ )

si-d-jones

Postby si-d-jones » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:35 pm

If you have a P4 then at about 85C it automatically slows itself down to avoid burnout. Obviously you don't want it getting that high in the first place, and your idle temps do seem quite high. I don't know if AMD processors are the same, but with all the problems the Athlons used to have with burnout I'd guess they have a similar mechanism.

My CPU temps can raise anywhere upto +25C when playing a game for a while - if it's the same for you then you could be in trouble.

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”