Shadowgrounds doesn't recognize the CD

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
Sampo

Shadowgrounds doesn't recognize the CD

Postby Sampo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:16 pm

The game looks good so far! One important part is still missing: I can't get into the game.

Shadowgounds installs itself most nicely, but when I try to start the game with the Laucher utility, I just see the loading screen with the faces, and nothing happens. I guess this screen should be away in few seconds, but not in my case. The CD-drive is trying to read the disc, but with bad results, I can see.

I am quite sure that my CD-drive is in fine condition, I got it this spring. Anyway, this sounds a lot like a problem caused by the CD-drive or the disc itself. Damn, I looked forward to get playing this game.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:12 am

Hmmm, this is puzzling. The screen you see is the copy protection screen. You should have CD1 in the drive (but it should tell you if you have CD2, so I guess that's not the problem). I don't think there's anything wrong with the disc, if the game has been installed fine...

Also check that you don't have any daemon tools running etc, those may cause some problems. I will look into this issue more deeply tomorrow.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Today I try to install Shadowgrounds to an other computer to see, if the problem lies in my machine.

What makes this more puzzling is that yesterday when I reinstalled Shadowgrounds, copying of the data files was very slow. I think it was not so slow the first time...

EDIT: Now this pisses me off. Shadowgrounds ran fine with the other computer! It showed the copy protection screen for only about 0,5 seconds, and the game started immediately. Is there any hope this problem is a bug or do I have junk there where I should have my CD-drive? Daemon tools don't include firewall-programs?

EDIT2: Good news, I got the game running. Apparently I just have to try enough times to get the game working. Thanks for taking this seriously, though.

Btw, Shadowgrounds is very atmospheric :) Pulkkinen's musics make a lot of it, at Weather Station 5 atmosphere is very Fallout-ish, and that people, is a lot :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Great to hear that. Hope you enjoy the game!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

timmy

Postby timmy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 pm

what protection does it have? starforce?
i hate starforce games :P

Arparso

Postby Arparso » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:16 am

Not Starforce, but ProtectCD 6.x

I had problems starting the game, too, but got it sorted out after a while.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:32 am

German version has ProtectCD, Finnish version has something else, and the other releases, like the upcoming French version, will have something else as well. We've left the copy protection up to the publishers, so they can choose whatever they feel is best (well, maybe with the exception of Starforce - it's a good protection but the methods are wrong, imho).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Darksen

Postby Darksen » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi.
I got a similar problem.
The launcher appears, i click on "Start Game" and then there is a screen saying "Checking for original CD/DVD... Please wait a moment" (it's in german ... i think this is the best way putting it into english :P but i think you can guess what i mean ;) )
On this screen, my DVD-drive seems to be reading the cd, but after 3-4 times trying to get in into movement, it just stops.
When i click anywhere on this window with the checking-thing, windows says the program isn't working anymore and i can close it.
What can i do to get the game running but installing it over and over again?

Greetz
Darksen

p.s.: excuse my bad english ;) i'm german :P

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi again.
Now i'm completely confused.
It said, it's not the original CD, but i'm sure it is, cuz i got it from the online-magazine i'm writing articles for.
And it was originally wraped in this plastik-film. :?

Greetz
Darksen

Darksen

Postby Darksen » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:24 pm

Well...The problem just disappeared ^^

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:05 pm

I have the same issues here sometimes.
German version and Phillips CD-Rom.

But at least the copyprotection is not that noisy than in bf2. :)

Btw:
Was the decision to put it on 2 CDs and not 1 DVD also a Pubisher decision?
Can't understand why you did not put all language files on one DVD.
That would have been great.

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:50 am

This problem is confusing is it still sometimes appears, when I try to launch the game. Only reboot helps, and if it doesn't, I must reboot again... the problem can't be just on my cd-drive.

Where?

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:09 pm

Grisu wrote:I have the same issues here sometimes.

Okay I get that but where is all of this going?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi guys,

I have exactly the problem discussed here. Bought the game yesterday, now trying to play it. Install was fine, but the program will not accept my CD. The check does not stop, there is no error description or something, it just keeps running. It is the german version by the way.
When I wait long enough, an error message occurs telling me, the CD in my drive is not original. There is a link to protectdisc in that message window. Guess what? Clicking the link, I learned that the game in german version (with protectdisc copy protcetion) will not run if one of the following programs is installed:

Daemon Tools 2.x / 3.x / 4.x
Alcohol 120% / 52%
Virtual CD 6.x
Nero Imagedrive
VOB InstantDrive
GameJack 3 / 4
CopyStar FantomCD
CEQuadrat V-Drive
CD Space
FarStone GameCopy 8

Well, nice. Furthermore, the website says: "Please uninstall any of the software listed below and try to run the software again.".

Well, now I'm mad. Dear devs, very nice that every publisher can decide which copy protection to use, but THAT is not acceptable. I will return my copy of the game to the store I bought it at asap. That really sucks. The demo was nice. But I will not accept these kind of copy protection.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi again,

just because I have some free time and was curious, I deinstalled all the software mentioned by the protectdisc website. I also cleaned the registry manually to have no keys or anything in it concerning these programs.
Unfortunatly, shadowgrounds does not run on my machine after this. Hehe, I do not think, I will reinstall windos to get shadowgrounds running.

Well, fb_joel, you stated that you do not like starforce (me neither), but it seems to me that this protectdisc crap is almost as annoying as starforce. When you allow your publishers to chose copy protection, you should consider that this might have negative impact on your sales... *sigh*

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi again (for the last time for now ;))!

I just used some not-so-nice tricks to prove that my problem is the blacklist of protectdisc. It is. Shadowgrounds runs now. I am still wondering why the blacklist still blocked program start after deinstall of the suspicious software...
Anyway, I could play now if I wanted. But I am not sure if less experienced users would be able to "solve the problem". I also do not have a good feeling using a semi-legal blacklist-blocking-mechanism to avoid a more than annoying copy protection. Not very satisfying. But perhaps my "story" helps other german users struggling with protectdisc to at least know what their problem is.

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 pm

I don't use such software mentioned and still have problems from time to time.

Also, I think FB didn't have much of a choice with the copy-protection.
Business is like: "Sign the publisher contract to these terms or be gone..." :(

ARF

Postby ARF » Thu May 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Hello
I'am not alone to have this problem
I bougut the game and i can't play
I have Deamon tools so I desinstalled it
but the game still not start
Always the same message asked an original disc

could you help me ???

I realy desapointed by this problem since I finished with pleasure the two demo (english and french ones)

Arno.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 12, 2006 12:48 am

Already replied to this in the other thread, but anyway I sent you a private message that should help. The same applies to all German/French/Finnish users who have problems - post in the Level Editor thread ( http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/forum/ ... .php?t=352 ) and you'll get the link to solve the problem.

The official patch for all versions is now scheduled for next week release.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”