SLI - huge performance issue

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
Arparso

SLI - huge performance issue

Postby Arparso » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 pm

Uhm... I just stumbled across a major issue, i think.

The game runs horribly slow on nVidia GeForce 7800GTX SLI systems. At least, it runs really bad on the system of my brother and by that i mean with constant 15 fps (1280 resolution, very high details settings).

Basic System Specs are:
Athlon FX-57
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7800GTX SLI with Forceware 81.85 drivers

It's a new Alienware, so it definitely should have enough power to play anything at a decent performance (well, except Everquest II maybe, what a system killer...). We both tried several detail settings. On the very high setting and turned-off "Render-glow" it ran with around 40fps, though I'm not sure, how stable that would turn out during the battles. Render glow enabled and it crawled again with 15fps.

Somewhat later we deactivated SLI in the forceware drivers and the game suddenly played with 100+ fps constantly.

So I just take an educated guess and say, that Shadowgrounds has some serious problems with SLI configurations.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:23 pm

Hmm... Sounds odd.

Does the game run at a very constant 15 fps? If so, have you tried to turn off the vertical sync? (it can be found right below the resolution selection in the launcher).

Framerates that are constantly around some value, the multiple of which 60 is, (15 and 30), are usually somehow related to vertical sync. Basically this is due to the fact that if a game cannot run at vertical sync rate (usually 60Hz), the next possible choice is 30 due to vertical sync (and so on).

Although this might explain the constant framerate, still, it does not explain why the framerate on that SLI system drops so dramatically...

Arparso

Postby Arparso » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:18 am

Yes, we tried both: vsync on and off. Sadly it didn't change a thing. :(

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:36 pm

Ok, gotta try to find out what the problem with the SLI is... Hopefully it can be fixed in some future game patch or display drivers. Meanwhile, I hope you can bear playing the game with the SLI deactivated.

Arparso

Postby Arparso » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:03 am

fb_jpk wrote:Ok, gotta try to find out what the problem with the SLI is... Hopefully it can be fixed in some future game patch or display drivers. Meanwhile, I hope you can bear playing the game with the SLI deactivated.

Sure, the game is too much fun to miss it ;)

Just thought, you guys might find this info interesting. I have no idea, if that bug applies to SLI in general or to this driver version or this specific system maybe. Anyway, it's odd enough ...

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”