Segfauls on Linux

Shadwen is a stealth game, where sneaking is not optional. It was released in May 2016 for Windows, Linux, Mac and PlayStation 4.
Carpetsmoker

Segfauls on Linux

Postby Carpetsmoker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:40 pm

I have the version from gog.com. I get the splash screen with the settings, and after clicking start I get a black window for a split second and then it segfaults

I tried various graphics settings, to no avail.

From dmesg:

Code: Select all

[213692.382681] shadwen_linux_6[22633]: segfault at 0 ip           (null) sp 00007ffca19f5558 error 14 in shadwen_linux_64bit[400000+20ba000]

Not much more info I can give you I think? The core dump doesn't reveal anything, and I don't see a log file.

I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 with the intel driver.

MarjutFB

Re: Segfauls on Linux

Postby MarjutFB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 am

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the demo!

To help us look into this, please send us the core dump and we'll take a look at it. You can email it to us at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com. Please link this thread to your message so we know it's you.

Please also note that the demo needs OpenGL 4.1 to run. You can check your version for it from glxinfo, or you can just send it to us as well. You can get it by running these commands:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
then

glxinfo

Also knowing your other system specs would be helpful (graphics card, processor, amount of RAM etc).

Thanks in advance!

whizse

Postby whizse » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:05 pm

I get the same segfault, OpenGL 3.3, for the moment.

So...

1. It would be great if the OpenGL requirements was mentioned, at least on GOG where I got the demo, there is nothing.

2. The game really shouldn't segfault. Refusing to run is okay, but tell the user what went wrong. It would be even better if you listed exactly what OpenGL extensions was required as that makes it a lot easier to figure out what is required for Mesa.

Your previous games ran great with Mesa, so I guess we hold you to a pretty high standard! :)

Looking forward to try Shadwen when Mesa supports 4.1 on my GPU.

whizse

Postby whizse » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:15 pm

So I actually got it running on my 3.3 hardware with MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=440 MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 obviously not a real solution, as it may crash at any moment the game tries to use anything not supported by the driver, but still proves my point that checking for the extensions instead of hardcoding a version might be useful.

Carpetsmoker

Postby Carpetsmoker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Faking the OpenGL version makes it show some loadscreen, at which point it hangs. But at least it confirms that this is the problem.

Segfaulting on something like this seems like the wrong thing to do ;-) Also note that I'm running the latest Ubuntu version, so having an outdated OpenGL is a bit strange. Perhaps it does work with the nvidia or ati drivers? My hardware does support OpenGL 4.1...

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Sorry for the delay, but thank you for your reports and suggestions. We'll be looking into this. :)

The system requirements aren't listed anywhere because we kind of made a silent launch. Even the support for Linux isn't mentioned anywhere, but we managed to sneak the build into the demo release. Unfortunately we also didn't have much time to test the build, but we're currently working on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

shmerl

Postby shmerl » Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Did anyone test the release on Mesa drivers? GOG lists minimum requirements as OpenGL 4.1.

EllaFB

Postby EllaFB » Wed May 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Did anyone test the release on Mesa drivers? GOG lists minimum requirements as OpenGL 4.1.

I asked our QA about this but unfortunately they weren't able to give a direct answer to this question. They were able to say that it will not work with drivers before 11.0.0 as they do not support openGL 4.1.

shmerl

Postby shmerl » Wed May 18, 2016 6:08 pm

EllaFB wrote:

I asked our QA about this but unfortunately they weren't able to give a direct answer to this question. They were able to say that it will not work with drivers before 11.0.0 as they do not support openGL 4.1.

Some reported that they successfully run the game with Mesa and amdgpu driver, so things look good :)

shmerl

Postby shmerl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:47 am

I just tested the game with my new AMD RX 480 and Mesa 13.0.2. It works very well.

Return to “Shadwen”