About Survivor and modding ?

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
MoRt

About Survivor and modding ?

Postby MoRt » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Hello Joel,

It was a long time. I didn't get a lot of times recently, I spend all my money, so for now I'm looking for a job.

As the second opus looks like coming soon, I was thinking of modding again but with survivor. When survivor editor will be released ? Will it be compatible with the first opus ? What will be differences ? Will scripts be more easier to find, with like example or anything else ?

More info I get, more I'll enjoy... Thank you for your time.

PS: And if I missed a post with already all my answer, I'm sorry for it.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 pm

I hope the editor will be a bit more easier and stable. I remember trying out the editor but all that I managed to do was mostly crashing it.

R3CoR

Postby R3CoR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:51 pm

We may consider releasing the Editor tools for the new game earlier for the modders who have the original game, because the data should work in both games... I'll have to think about this and come back with more thoughts late this week.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:01 pm

Indeed. Basically the data structures are mostly the same, so we could release the tools before the game is released. I am looking into this as soon as I can find the time.

On a more general note, modding Survivor is easier. Here's a few things:

- Lots of new content, most importantly the building blocks which are damn great. All buildings in Survivor are made with the blocks, and they are super easy to use but also allow lots of flexibility. (And the new lighting system works easily with the blocks so lighting the levels is now fun too :))

- Ability to make new mission directories in the Editor (so you don't need to do the createmission.html/ActiveX stuff at all)

- Multi-Export levels (well really helps only if you have many levels in your mod)

- Editor levels are not directly compatible between the Editors because Survivor uses a more accurate heightmap, but it can probably be overcome with a simple solution if need be

- Mods should be compatible between SG and Survivor, and at least all scripts etc will work directly.

- New gameplay scripts that help do some things (countdowns and other small things)

- The SG Modding Wiki which is actually set-up now but lacks the content. This will be "ready" when the Editor tools ship.

- Editor tools will ship with the game, so hopefully this means more mods

- Using mods in the Launcher is better now, and the new Launcher is quite cool also.

- Some tutorial videos are planned, but I may not have time to create them before the game has been released.

That's a nice list I think.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

MoRt

Postby MoRt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Thank you for all the answer Joel...

I just hope some points have been improved:

- In the editor, lightning will not go through walls, like I have already show in one of my previous post.

- There will be some kind of autolocks function for the block, like when you already set up some blocks, and you're going to set up another one of the same kind, then when we move the mouse close enough from the others blocks, so the block is automaticaly fixed and locked to the others. (Like a window in your favorite operating systems, that automatically fixed the edge of the screen).

- Otherwise, will it be possible to set up several block in a raw, by clicking one on the desired position and then dragging the mouse to a direction, while keeping the mouse button clicked?

- Finally, as I get some experiences (Nothing comparied with Frozenbyte's team or skilled modders) with modding, I can maybe be helpful for the wiki. So If you want, I can write some articles, or examples of script. Just tell me, if I can be of any help...

Thank you for the reading...^^

Fb_Kristian

Postby Fb_Kristian » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:27 am

Hello. I'm a level designer at Frozenbyte and instead of taking Joel's time i'll directly answer your questions.

- In the editor, lightning will not go through walls, like I have already show in one of my previous post.

There is actually a way to prevent this from happening. I will try to get the instructions ready before the release of survivors.

There will be some kind of autolocks function for the block, like when you already set up some blocks, and you're going to set up another one of the same kind, then when we move the mouse close enough from the others blocks, so the block is automaticaly fixed and locked to the others. (Like a window in your favorite operating systems, that automatically fixed the edge of the screen).

You will find out that using blocks for making buildings will be alot easier than in the shadowgrounds mod-release, and we've achieved this by adding helper indicators to the blocks and also by improving group tool and the object movement controls

Otherwise, will it be possible to set up several block in a raw, by clicking one on the desired position and then dragging the mouse to a direction, while keeping the mouse button clicked?

As the grid itself has been improved, it's easy to place them one by one. Such feature would just cause confusion, nice idea though.

Finally, as I get some experiences (Nothing comparied with Frozenbyte's team or skilled modders) with modding, I can maybe be helpful for the wiki. So If you want, I can write some articles, or examples of script. Just tell me, if I can be of any help...

Great to hear that! I hope survivor will help you make even better maps/mods!
// Kristian, Frozenbyte team

MoRt

Postby MoRt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Thank you Kristian.

Keep doing the good work. ^^

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”