Survivalmap Problem

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Roidal

Survivalmap Problem

Postby Roidal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:35 pm

When I'am creating a Survival map described in the wiki, in the game the hole map is black and i can't move. Turning the charakter is also impossible.
How can i fix that?

mfg
Roland

Update:
Now i saw that the Player doesn't spawn on the "Player spawnpoint" he spawns outside the map. How can i change this?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Survivalmap Problem

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Seems like I never updated the page; updated now.

Let me know if this helps or if there's still some problems. Here it is again:

You'll soon notice that there's no aliens spawning.

The easiest way to fix this is to copy mission_events.dhs and player_collision.dhs from some other survival mission, for example surv_spider. Now include the files in includes.dhs (or just copy that too from surv_spider).

Now go in the game again... And there's still no aliens! The reason is that the actual script hasn't started. What we could do is start it from the game console, so open the console with the F8 key. Now write "startScriptProcess survivor_spawn" (case sensitive - you can also use the Tab key to autofill some script commands).

Now what you should do is simply call this script in your script files. You can put it in e.g. startup.dhs in the main sub. Just put it before the endSub command and that should be it and the aliens should spawn now.

You will also notice that the character may start near the edge of the map.

Problems:

- If there's lots of script errors and nothing seems to be happening or working...

>> Check that the mission's directories have .dhps files. These are automatically generated by the game using the .dhs files. If there are no .dhps files then....

Open Data1.fbz and extract Data\Misc folder to the harddrive. There's gppexec.bat that needs to be on the hd.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Thank you for your answer. I'll try it this weekend.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Yeah I hope it works. I'm planning to do something this weekend myself too... :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ultragamer

Postby Ultragamer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 pm

fb_joel wrote:Seems like I never updated the page; updated now.

Let me know if this helps or if there's still some problems. Here it is again:

You'll soon notice that there's no aliens spawning.

The easiest way to fix this is to copy mission_events.dhs and player_collision.dhs from some other survival mission, for example surv_spider. Now include the files in includes.dhs (or just copy that too from surv_spider).

Now go in the game again... And there's still no aliens! The reason is that the actual script hasn't started. What we could do is start it from the game console, so open the console with the F8 key. Now write "startScriptProcess survivor_spawn" (case sensitive - you can also use the Tab key to autofill some script commands).

Now what you should do is simply call this script in your script files. You can put it in e.g. startup.dhs in the main sub. Just put it before the endSub command and that should be it and the aliens should spawn now.

You will also notice that the character may start near the edge of the map.

Problems:

- If there's lots of script errors and nothing seems to be happening or working...

>> Check that the mission's directories have .dhps files. These are automatically generated by the game using the .dhs files. If there are no .dhps files then....

Open Data1.fbz and extract Data\Misc folder to the harddrive. There's gppexec.bat that needs to be on the hd.

Updated :D. I included that includes.dhs bug. It seriously happens to me.

Perhaps in a few weeks I'll contribute a player collision tutorial on the wiki, why not now? I'm very busy creating mods for other games :O. Don't worry, I'll mod for this game sooner or later because I think this game seriously deserves one.

I hope your survival map works out for you Roidal. I'd give it a download if you'd ever release it.
Ultragamer = Source Mapper, Shadowgrounds Mapper, LUA Scripter.

Shadowgrounds = Best Action Game I've Ever Played

Keep up the good work!

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Maybe i release it in the future, now its only for testing and making easier maps for longer Survival-plays. Today evening i will try the fix an tell you if it works. Thank you for offer hosting the map!

sincerely yours
roidal

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:07 pm

After extracting the "Misc"-directory the *.dhps-files are created but they are empty and it doesn't work again.
Some solutions?

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:16 pm

No ideas?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Sorry, been busy and haven't tried anything myself either.

If the files are created but they are empty, well... that sounds odd. Is this a Steam version btw, or a retail copy? I'll try something tomorrow.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ultragamer

Postby Ultragamer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Roidal wrote:After extracting the "Misc"-directory the *.dhps-files are created but they are empty and it doesn't work again.
Some solutions?

Are you using steam version or retail version?

I use the retail version (which still needs steam of course).

Did you try saving the includes.dhs? That's what fixed my .dhps compilation.

Roidal wrote:Thank you for offer hosting the map!

I said I'd download it, which means you upload it (host it) somewhere, then I'd download it ("copy" it to my computer). Not me hosting it.
Ultragamer = Source Mapper, Shadowgrounds Mapper, LUA Scripter.

Shadowgrounds = Best Action Game I've Ever Played

Keep up the good work!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:22 am

I can host stuff if someone needs it, so that's not a problem. Anyway I'll look into this problem more closely tomorrow.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 pm

I use the german retail version.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Ah that could explain. Which version does it say in the Launcher? I'm testing this right now and will update this post as soon as I have more info...

Edit: Ok I'm pretty sure this happens because of missing Data\Scripts files. These files should be in the Data\Scripts directory (they are in the Data4.fbz but they need to be on the harddrive):

common_macros.h
game_specific_macros.h
pp.h

Data\Misc should have:
default_game_options.txt (probably not needed but it's good to have because there's some variables that can be tweaked)
gppexec.bat

All these are needed for the .dhps generation. They may be missing from the German retail for some odd reason (I can't check right now).

I've made a zip file with these included here. I'm so sorry for this trouble.

If it still doesn't work, then it's got to be something else. I might suggest checking any antivirus/firewall programs and such and see whether disabling them would help (I know F-Secure wants to prevent Editor level exports unless you tell it not to).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:23 pm

After extracting the Scripts-Directory and deleting the empty *.dhps files the are recreated and now i spawn on the correct position!
Thank you for help! I will write a summary, that you can insert to the wiki if you want.

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:17 pm

I saw the wiki is up to date, sorry. Only the note to extract the "Scripts"-directory should be added.

Thanks again.

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:07 am

My next question: How i get the ItemSpawner working? I saw on other maps a ammotype defined in surv_*_units.dhs but not in the own created maps. Is it possible to define it in the map-editor?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 am

Yes, ItemSpawner is actually fairly easy. I can't give step by step instructions right now but basically check any of the original maps, they all have spawning items (for co-op use, and in Survival missions it's for spawning ammo etc). Basically just put an ItemSpawner, 125cm (or the bigger one) on the map, then edit its Properties, and put for example "shotgunammo,60000" to the "for_napalm" part. Then just click ok and play, it should spawn a clip of shotgun ammo every 60 seconds if the player is Napalm. You can use the "for_all" (or so) to spawn the item for any character. Most item names are simple, medikit, flamethrower, flamethrowerammo, pulserifleammo, and so on.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Roidal

Postby Roidal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 am

Ok, thank you for your help! :)

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”