Available mods & maps

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Matti

Available mods & maps

Postby Matti » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Anything playable available yet? Where?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Available mods & maps

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Well, there's Roidal's new test map at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1596

There's a few people working on some mods and maps but they haven't released anything yet. I'm also working on something of my own but I don't know when I'll have time to do all the things I want done. I might start a diary of some sort to tell about progress but no ETA on that either.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 pm

So nothing did come out of Alien Breed mod?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:09 pm

Nothing that's been released afaik. I'm not sure if Dex is developing it actively now, but he was active a while ago so I guess it's possible.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dex909

Postby dex909 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:13 am

Quite some time since I last visited xD - well, glad to see people are now working on modding Survivor ;) To answer your questions, I was indeed trying to get the Alien Breed mod done, but after finishing concepts and textures (most of it went into my "Alien Breed III" mod) and finally getting my hands on the editor to work on the first maps, I simply couldn't spare enough time to continue working on it. And at the beginning of this year I got a job offering so I put most most of my time into that of course :) Hm, I though I made a post about this back then, can't quite remember. I hoped that someone else would also work on an Alien Breed mod since I absolutely love the idea and SG/Survivor provides the absolute perfect engine+editor.

Recently I thought about this mod and the game. I played through Shadowgrounds many times by now. When I first discovered the game I thought about a new "Alien Breed" immediately, or the next-gen Breed 3D that was never actually made. However, I have to say that Shadowgrounds is a near perfect game on its own which adds much to the classic 16-bit action from back in the days. I like its pace, the graphics (of course), the nice ingame cutscenes, the main characters, the soundtrack as well as the weapons and the overall gameplay and controls. I played this game more than AB back then and I find this one even more addictive - so if a new official Alien Breed game comes out someday, I might as well create a mod for it to make it more like "Shadowgrounds" ;) Because this game certainly raised the bar for any future isometric alien blaster to come.

Matti

Postby Matti » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:20 pm

dex909 wrote:Because this game certainly raised the bar for any future isometric alien blaster to come.

Hate to say it, but gameplay differencies to Take no prisoners isn't that great (unless I remember terribly wrong). SG has advantage with graphics (outdated already), cutscenes (who cares?), and modding. And modding counts only if it is done.

Has anyone dared to try turn SG into small scale RTS clickfest yet? SG was supposed to be something like that in the first place and there are still some elements of it left.

dex909

Postby dex909 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:28 am

It's even closer to Alien Breed and it certainly betters it. Furthermore I actually do think that the improved graphics are part of the fun in this game - usually the gameplay counts, we all know it, every self-proclaimed retro website says so, I know it probably since I played on my Atari 800XL - however, it does make a difference if you play Gauntlet or Chaos Engine, Alien Breed or Shadowgrounds. Still you are right as it is not a revolutionary step forward by any means - but to me it's the definitive top-down alien blaster so far ;) Yeah I know there's the Contra wannabe "Neo Contra" and plenty of other - even recently released - top down shooters, but they certainly don't feature any more depth in the cutscenes either :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Cool to hear from you, Dex. :) It's a shame there never was that great modding support for SG/SGS, because I think the editor wasn't that hard... But it's our own fault too, we never had enough documentation for it (and that's because we didn't have time). Live and learn, I guess. I'm still hoping I'd make a level just for the hell of it, but the chances are getting slimmer every day. Or maybe I should in fact just make a simpler mod and use the existing levels, and use the RTS features so you'd control a couple of guys. Gotta see if I'd have some time during Christmas.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:46 pm

fb_joel wrote:Cool to hear from you, Dex. :) It's a shame there never was that great modding support for SG/SGS, because I think the editor wasn't that hard... But it's our own fault too, we never had enough documentation for it (and that's because we didn't have time).

Many games don't have modding support at all, yet mods are made. That's becouse many of those games gets MUCH larger fan base, which may include professional programmers, and computer artists, some who may be unemployed. That creates large pool of volunteer workforce, who gets to job: they create map and other editors, reverse-engineer script language, create documentation for all of it, and then some. Unreal Tournament serie has been modded into RTS game, Total Annihilation (RTS game) has got whole lot unofficial in-game additions like game recorder, Jagged Alliance 2 Gold got unofficial patch created by fans from its released source code, Team Fortress (Quake) and Counter-Strike (Half-Life) began as just another game mods...

Anyways it takes huge amount of marketing and small miracle to get enough people with know-how for that kind of success stories. Shadowgrounds may never have it. But then, there are examples of small groups of fanatics who create and distribute games for free for small target group of players who may consider that (or those) game(s) best ever created. Computer game that follows rules of Classic BattleTech (miniature wargame) to letter: MegaMek, probably the BEST computer game ever since MechForce on Amiga! Just my opinion, of course ;)

Matti

Postby Matti » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Anything new on this front?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm afraid Shadowgrounds modding will never really get off the ground, for reasons stated above...

With the relative success of Trine, I think it's become obvious to us that the Shadowgrounds games simply don't have a big enough playerbase to support "unofficial" modding. If we had done certain things around release, maybe there would have been a chance, but right now it's kind of hopeless to be honest. It's just too hard to get into it and no real success stories (i.e. there's only a handful of mods available and they're mostly not new content but instead some sort of modifications of the existing content). Shadowgrounds Survivor has/had a little better modding support but the game was not as successful as the original Shadowgrounds, so it wasn't enough.

So there probably won't be much official news on the modding front for SG/SGS anymore... I guess I'll try to help people who get into it but that's all. I had my own plans for a mod/mini campaign for SGS but frankly I can probably spend my time on more productive things. I'll probably release whatever I got done at some point (actually I already did I think, so I just need to find it and post links here).

Sorry. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”