MOD RELEASED: Alien Breed III Shadowgrounds *UPDATE*

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
dex909

Postby dex909 » Fri May 12, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks! ;) I will also include some Alien Breed levels (remade) when I´m used to the editor, with the latest beta I finally started on a map! :)
And as far as I know you sure can make buildings out of the "building blocks", they might just look generic (like in Alien Breed for example hehe, so perfect for me ;)) The developers mean that you will need extra tools to create complete new meshes for buildings. Let´s say if you want to do the Eiffel Tower the tiling with blocks wouldn´t take you very far. But if you use a 3d party tool like Lightwave you could of course create a complete new Eiffel mesh (or whatever) and then get it into the game.

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Fri May 12, 2006 7:15 pm

Okay, than I just misunderstood the developers.

Damage

Postby Damage » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:27 am

Top Mod, mate, and I love the title track pic and music remix... Definitely potential here to do a Total Conversion, what do you reckon? Assuming you're not doing one already..! :wink:

Have only just go to the "alien" levels in the game so I've yet to see your altered textures, looking forward to it, but have to finish the game normally first! (I'm assuming you've altered the textures for the last two levels as the earlier levels I tested with the mod appeared unchanged).

On a side-note, I'm sure you're probably well aware of this but I've stuck a post in the General Chat board about an AB remake I stumbled across which is quality, if you've not seen it yet I highly recommend it..

Keep up the good work, anyway, and thanks for making the mod so cool!

D

8)
Gonna Rip 'em a New One

Damage

Postby Damage » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:05 am

Addendum - Just had a look at the last two levels with all the new textures: Outstanding! Man, there's a new game just waiting to be born here...

Quality.

D

8)
Gonna Rip 'em a New One

dizzy_2.0

Postby dizzy_2.0 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:08 pm

it seems a bit stupid, but how do I install this mod? The mod loader doesn't see it, wherever I put the file and if I replace the data2.fbz in the main folder the localization is missing... help?! ^^"

Damage

Postby Damage » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:13 pm

If you look in the ZIP file there's a text file explaining what you do. It isn't a MOD, it's an addon, and the most important thing is NOT to overwrite any existing files.

If you already have a data1.fbz, data2, and data3, say, then rename the mod file to data4.fbz and copy it in with the others. Make sure that whatever files you're adding are the next in sequence. In my install I have 1, 2 and 3 which are part of the original game, and then I renamed the Alien Breed addon to 4.

Then just start the game and see the result. I'd recommend playing the last two levels as you get to see all the new cool textures.

Hope this helps.

D

8)
Gonna Rip 'em a New One

dizzy_2.0

Postby dizzy_2.0 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:18 pm

strange oO I thought I tried that already but this time it seems to work... thx ^^

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 am

So are there new maps already?

dex909

Postby dex909 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:25 pm

Hello! Well, very nice to read about people liking the mod! :) Of course I planned a Total conversation, but I didn´t have enough time yet. I had several ideas and after some time I marked the following idea as maybe the final one for a nice TC: Including the levels of AB1 and remake them with original layout (MAYBE altered and slightly changed places for items etc.) and if this succeeds add AB2 levels and finally Tower Assault (Alien Breed III:TA) So we can have a real ALIEN BREED TRILOGY. The Amiga-Levels and maps of them (part one and two as far as I know) are available somewhere from the internet. I found some and saved them (some people wanted to remake them and posted them in some forums). Well - the levels wouldn´t need to be "exactly" the same.

Another idea would be to remake "Aliens" (part two of the "Alien" franchise) but that would certainly need A LOT more work. Alien Breed would be PERFECT to remake since this game has all needed "parts", models and textures to recreate all Alien Breed games without even the need of new content (my already released mod made enough changes to the original textures and art to make it all fit and look well.)

Still, I have absolutely NO time since I am about to finish university and I really hope someone starts remaking Alien Breed levels so that I can include them into my mod someday. If you want to start, here the final guidelines I worked out (this is the complete "planning" to create a nice TC in no time:

MORE DETAILED CONCEPT TO REMAKE ALIEN BREED:

I. Point of View: EVERYTHING you see and EVERY cutscene should be from the standard Shadowgrounds Top-Down view. Any cutscenes necessary shoud NOT be made in cinema-like sequences. Everything should look true oldschool and if Team 17 would have made such sequences they would have had no choice since everything was DRAWN top-down etc. DO NOT try to make it more "visually pleasing" since the engine of Shadowgrounds is perfectly detailed for top-down games but lacks enough graphics power to really show off in cutscenes.

II. Content: Start with Alien Breed 1 and remake its levels ONLY, do not focus on any later content as AB2 or AB:TA. Alien Breed 1 maps (top down view of the whole levels) might even be found on the internet. AB2 and others can follow after AB1 content is finished.

III. Story: AB1 uses nice introscreens for each level - you can do exactly THAT with the Shadowgrounds loading screens. At first use the Amiga graphics as placeholders and the same text for each level-intro-screen. If I have some time I´d love to remake the Amiga screens into something nicer with more colors etc. But to speed everything up, do not create new art and stuff - rather focus on the levels.

IV. Enemies: Since Shadowgrounds already uses similar things to AB there should be no problems here, just use the default content and leave out the monsters that AB1 simply didn't have.

V. Weapons: same here, there should be nearly everything there that Alien Breed had. You can do some renaming if there's time to make it fit even more.

VI. Details: like the correct names of stuff that appears in Alien Breed on logos and textures that are used in the original Shadowgrounds should be added LAST - except there is just enough time to do this earlier. There are some things that might be changed to make everything "AB-perfect" like including "eggs" (where there even eggs in AB? man, I simply forgot, have to research..) or maybe change the models of the "huggers". This is all stuff that should be done when the levels are finished.
The stuff I did to the later alien levels was intended to fit into a real Alien Breed conversion so this is all done and should only be changed if necessary after the levels and other stuff is done.(Alien Breed did use slightly more "grey" for the "alien" levels but also the H.R.Giger look that was used for the movies and so on.) You might change the textures to something more "grey".

I might redo this little "plan" in the future and at some screenshots for comparison if there is enough interest, we will see.

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:34 pm

dex909 wrote:I. Point of View: EVERYTHING you see and EVERY cutscene should be from the standard Shadowgrounds Top-Down view. Any cutscenes necessary shoud NOT be made in cinema-like sequences. Everything should look true oldschool and if Team 17 would have made such sequences they would have had no choice since everything was DRAWN top-down etc.

In PC version of Alien Breed, when soldier moves with lift, there is shown cutscene and on it is shown side profile of the man.

dex909

Postby dex909 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:51 am

That´s absolutely right and it did not fit in at all. I actually don't count it as a "cut scene" but you´re right, it´s an animated sequence from a different point of view to create atmosphere - you could describe it as a cutscene. Well, this is personal choice after all. If the creator of any remake feels cutscenes from different angles are necessary, just implement it. I would be glad if someone would do the remake at ALL :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:40 pm

Still sounds good. I'm pretty confident that the game will gain some more momentum/modders soon. I'll do my best to speed up things...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:16 am

dex909 wrote:II. Content: Start with Alien Breed 1 and remake its levels

How is it coming? I'll get this mod immediately when actual maps are available.

[edit]
Original Doom maps played on Doom 3 (mod name: Classic Doom 3) was GREAT! I expect you to do better! :twisted:

feillyne

Re: MOD RELEASED: Alien Breed III Shadowgrounds *UPDATE*

Postby feillyne » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 pm

The thread is from 2005, still, thanks for your mod. :-)

Updated it to run under the newest Shadowgrounds patch that allows mods, and also added to ModDB.com website:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/alien-breed-iii

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”