Resident Evil mini Mod English/Deutsch

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
spraehbuer

Resident Evil mini Mod English/Deutsch

Postby spraehbuer » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:31 am

3 days ago i bought shadowgrounds. i like it very much but i wanted another player skin. after seeing that all textures are "accsesaible" (sp) i decided to make some new player skins for single player and coop.
now im working on a small modification for shadowgrounds.
im going to replace most of the human skins in the game with my own resident evil skins and change all weapon skins a little bit.
here is my first skin. its still wip but take a look:

##########################################-
Da es noch kein deutsches Forum aber hier ein paar Leute gibt die des Englischen nicht mächtig sind, habe ich mich entschlossen diesen post und meine Updates auch in deutsch zu veröffentlichen.

Ich habe mir vor drei Tagen Shadowgrounds gekauft. Das Spiel hat mich direkt begeistert nur die Spielfigur hat mir nicht so gut gefallen. Nachdem ich gesehen hatte das alle Texturen frei zugänglich waren, habe ich mich entschlossen ein paar neue Spieler skins für Einzelspieler und Coop zu machen.
Jetzt arbeite ich an einer kleinen Modifikation für Shadowgrounds.
Ich werde alle menschlischen Skins mit meinen eigenen Resident Evil Skins ersetzen und alle Waffenskins leicht verändern.
Hier ist mein erstes Skin. Es ist noch nicht fertig aber schauts euch einfach mal an:

[click on the image to enlarge]

btw if sb has some model skills talk to me.

-spraeh
Last edited by spraehbuer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:34 pm

Another example that we need THE LEVEL EDITOR. :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Heh, cool. I have to check out all the "mods" (incl. that Alien Breed one, looked nice) when I have time. Regarding the level editor, I hope we would know soon what we are going to do with it... Right now even we don't know! I will keep you updated, but before that there are a couple of more burning issues (Russian Gold Master, first patch, the English demo).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

spraehbuer

Postby spraehbuer » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:44 pm

yes a level editor would be great. even if its not perfect.
i decided to make a mini mod because there is no SDK or level editor available. if there will be a level editor i have to rethink it :D

spraehbuer

Postby spraehbuer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:33 am

every time i finished something i will post a little update
here is the first one

little update: i finished the uniforms of chris redfield and wesker and the umbrella scientists lab coats (4). i started barrys uniform (another S.T.A.R.S. member). next will be new faces and the uniform of jill valentine.

##########################################-

Jedes mal wenn ich etwas fertig gestellt habe werde ich euch ein kleines Update liefern.

kleines Update: ich habe die Uniformen von Chris Redfield und Wesker und die Laborkittel der Umbrella Wissenschaftler fertig gestellt. Ich habe Barrys Uniform angefangen (ein weiteres S.T.A.R.S.-Mitglied). Als nächstes werde ich an den Gesichtern arbeiten und an Jill Valentines Uniform.

spraehbuer

spraehbuer

Postby spraehbuer » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:13 am

little update 2:
Jill Valentines uniform is finished and i started working on the faces. after looking at the aliens textures i decided to change same or make them completly new.
here are two preview pics (i forgot to post one with the last update)

#######################################

kleines Update 2:
Ich habe Jill Valentines Uniform fertig gestellt und arbeite gerade an den Gesichtern. Nachdem ich mir die Texturen der Aliens angesehen habe, hab ich mich dazu entschieden diese auch zu bearbeiten.
Hier sind noch zwei Vorschaubilder (ich habe beim letzten vergessen eins zu posten deshalb gibt es diesmal zwei)

criticism and comments are welcome
Kritik und Kommentare sind erwünscht

-spraeh

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:04 pm

Sieht gut aus! Gibt es eigentlich eine Möglichkeit, die Monster durch "neue" zu ersetzen? Zumindest deren Texturen?

P.S.: Kannst Du den Hauptcharakteren noch andere Haare verpassen? :)

spraehbuer

Postby spraehbuer » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm

die Texturen der Monster kann man ersetzen (d.h. Hautfarbe und Schuppenfarbe verändern, Augen hinzufügen usw. ist möglich). Allerdings weiß ich nicht ob man die kompletten Monster (also Model und Texturen) ersetzen oder tauschen kann. Hab noch nicht nachgeschaut.
Die Haarfarbe von Chris hab ich schon verandert (schwarz anstatt dunkelbraun). Ich bin mir nicht so sicher ob man die Frisur auch verändern kann. Sieht aus als könnte man durch verändern von alpha channels o.ä. sie leicht abwandeln.
Jills Haarfarbe wird sich noch ändern.

madjoe

Postby madjoe » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm

gute arbeit, will auch einen editor haben !!!
joe

spraehbuer

Postby spraehbuer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:44 am

Update 3:
almost all humans have new textures. this means i m going to release a part of this mod in the next weeks.
i have changed the coop player skins to S.T.A.R.S. members. Jill Valentine is finished (face and uniform). the textures for the civillians are finished but i ve some problems replacing them.

############################################

Update 3:
Fast alle Menschen haben neue Texturen, d.h. ich werde den ersten Teil dieses Mods in den nächsten Wochen veröffentlichen.
Ich habe die Coop Spielerfiguren zu S.T.A.R.S. Mitgliedern gemacht. Jill Valentine ist fertiggestellt (Gesicht und Uniform). Die texturen für Zivilisten sind fertig, aber ich habe Probleme sie im Spiel zu ersetzen.

@Grisu: Chris hat jetzt eine neue Frisur (sieht jetzt etwas mehr aus wie in RE1).

-spraeh

CoolBoy

Postby CoolBoy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:20 am

You guys have a lot of talent. I also applaud the Admin of the forum for supporting modifications to the game. Keeps the forums friendly and brings out talent as shown in the above mods. Keep it up you guys!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Looks awesome.

Obviously we have no problem with mods (but this may change if some legal problems arise - doesn't look very likely at the moment).

Now checking the Alien Breed mod...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:03 am

About the RE mod´s enemies, I had some idea:

Wouldn´t it be possible through hacking OR with the editor to change either the models of the aliens to ZOMBIES or (through editor) replace them by "hostile" human models with zombie textures? Just an idea for the RE mod, I will countinue my Alien Breed stuff but I´m also kinda ZOMBIE fan so maybe we will see some zombies in the future with this mod? ;)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 04, 2006 11:27 am

dex909 wrote:Wouldn´t it be possible through hacking OR with the editor to change either the models of the aliens to ZOMBIES or (through editor) replace them by "hostile" human models with zombie textures?

Changing the models is tougher, and not possible without LightWave and the exporters. So the mod would need someone who has and is familiar with LightWave, and then we'd need to release our exporter tools (that's easy though, and probably happens in June).

Making humans hostile is easier and probably the best way for this. I think it's pretty easy to change the walking speed of humans also... Some new animations might be needed to make it authentic, though. :) (If everything else falls into place and spraehbuer and hopefully some others start working on this mod for real, then I think I could convince a couple of our guys to do two or three zombie animations on their spare time... but this is not a promise yet! :wink: )
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:44 am

wow, THAT´s support - no that must be love :) You devs REALLY care about what the people do with your game - very impressive. Off topic: why are BIG budget companies like Bethesda or similar NOT able to do this? Is it because they have "millions" of customers?

Oh and yes, I meant not to create "new" zombies, just some existing human models with a retexture. Maybe they could also use the alien texture but slower ? Might look weird in some situations but then also good in others,

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu May 04, 2006 9:04 pm

dex909 wrote:Off topic: why are BIG budget companies like Bethesda or similar NOT able to do this? Is it because they have "millions" of customers?

Could be that and coordination efforts. Commanding squad of soldiers is easier than battalion.

dex909

Postby dex909 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:10 am

Mmh.. I have that theory about Game Development and Art in general that - LESS people can achieve GREATER things - but right now I´m not very far with this (no real proof). But it has something to it. You know a game like World of Warcraft might not be done by one man but if you compare it to smaller games like Shadowgrounds - it always feels like games as WoW are somehow "generic" and lack some "love" games like Shadowgrounds have (WoW is certainly a great game sure, but is it a GEM? Mmh......

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Fri May 05, 2006 8:28 pm

About the zombie thingy...

Apart from making some totally new models, it should be quite easy to mod some humans to be zombies instead... (Although, to really get it working, one will need the editor release... but that will happen any day now as far as I know...)

First, to create a new human but with zombie textures:
- copy some of the original human models (.s3d) to a new folder.
- find the corresponding texture for that model (probably somewhere under the data\textures\uvmapped, if not in the same folder as the model)
- copy the texture to the same new folder as the model
- modify the copied texture to have the "zombie look"

Because the game prefers to load the texture for the model from the same folder as the model itself, you should now have the zombie version of the model as well as the original version of the model in your disposal. (Alternatively, you could use a hex editor to change the texture filename in the s3d file.) ;)

(Now, the next part requires the final editor package - beta editor will not work)

- create a copy of the (data\units\)human.dhu to zombie.dhu
- modify the zombie.dhu to have: name = "Zombie" and to have some unique id number (just put some random number there)
- modify the zombie.dhu for slower walk/run speed
- modify the zombie.dhu animation set to "zombie" instead of "wesley_tyler"

Then to add new animation specifications for the zombie...

- create a copy of the (data\animations\)wesley_tyler_animation_set.txt to zombie_animation_set.txt
- add a line "zombie = data/animation/zombie_animation_set.txt" to the animation_list.txt
- modify the zombie_animation_set.txt to have a slower walk/run animation... (add factor_0.5 to those for example, see other animation set files for examples on how to use the animation speed factor)

More stuff to do... to add the actual "torso-part" of the zombie...

- copy the (data\parts\solids\humans\)wesley.dhp to zombie.dhp
- modify the zombie.dhp model to match the new .s3d model filename.

Finally, to try it out, you should add the creation of the new zombie to some script... Basically, you could just modify the (data\scripts\aliens\)wrencher.dhs to add the zombie parts instead of the alien parts, (look for addUnitRootPart and addUnit script commands, change the Wrencher parameters in those to Zombie)

Well... Maybe these instructions were a bit confusing and might even be a little bit buggy... Oh heck, I guess I'll just have to make some example zombie configuration for download myself when the final editor is released. ;)

Meanwhile, you can try to digest the above info to get the hang of adding new enemies into shadowgrounds. :P

Actually, there is a bugged/incomplete script for automating all that boring text file configuration stuff, but I don't know if that will ever be fixed and released. Maybe, if I have the time to fix it any time soon...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 2:27 am

Heh. :)

dex909 wrote:Mmh.. I have that theory about Game Development and Art in general that - LESS people can achieve GREATER things - but right now I´m not very far with this (no real proof).

A small team doesn't waste too much time on decisions, managing, arguing, getting things done... It's also much easier to have great team spirit in a team where everyone knows everyone by name and so on. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dex909

Postby dex909 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:42 pm

WOW!! THAT´s helpful!! :) I hope the creator of the Resident MOD will read this!! If not - I might do some Zombie showdowns myself with this!! >:-) I´m waiting for the final now...... =O

fb_joel:

Ah, interesting, would be a reasonable argument for my theorie =) Also - did you notice that "big heads" or "founders" from companies after some time and when the company gets real big will leave them to found a new, smaller one again? I BET that for creativity etc. a smaller team is BETTER :) So while I sure hope FB will grow and grow.. hehe.. stay by your roots! ;) And by the way, the logo I made for you isn´t ultra high res (so no use for printing or something I guess) but it´s technically "yours" so you can use this for what ever you want ;) Maybe some forum avatar? Hehehe ;)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 09, 2006 12:50 am

Heh, we'll see.

I think we'll stay "small" for a long while, and I think we're here to stay for many years without anybody "jumping ship". And we don't even have any "big heads" really, so I feel pretty confident about our future. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Tue May 09, 2006 1:04 am

The other thing happening is small companies get swallowed up by large publishers (EA, Activision, and Microsoft, to name a view), who often want them to re-focus on console versions. Far too many PC franchises imho are getting watered down by this happening, getting turned into clumsy console ports that sometimes forget a PC has a mouse. :roll: Or worse, they just keep the "assets" (game names, brands etc.), announce "consolidation" and dump the startruck dev out the back door (that's kind of what happened when EA acquired Westwood Studios).

Anyway, I hope Shadowgrounds is successful enough to warrant a sequel or a multiplayer expansion (if that's technically possible), or something. :) And if Meredian 4 is good to work with as publisher, I hope that and also Steam distribution continues happily.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Yeah... I loved the old C&C games, especially Red Alert, but the later ones haven't been that good (Generals was ok and technically good but it just didn't have the right feel). I hope independent developers can strike back... online distribution might help that too.

Meridian4 and Steam have been great to work with, so no worries there. :) If Shadowgrounds is extremely successful, who knows what happens. But honestly that might be too much to hope for. Of course, even a smaller success will give more motivation to help modders, so let's hope for the best. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

spraehbuer

Postby spraehbuer » Thu May 18, 2006 4:32 pm

aah back online . . . a good feeling :wink:

thank you very much jpk and joel for your great support. with this good news and the final editor almost released ill start working on the zombies.
and dex909 your welcome to make some zombies too: the more the merrier :twisted:

btw: im working on a second mod for SG which will be hopefully released next month.

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”