Unofficial patch for Shadowgrounds and Survivor

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Radegast

Unofficial patch for Shadowgrounds and Survivor

Postby Radegast » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm

I bought Humble Frozenbyte Bundle this week which contains both Shadowgrounds and Survivor games. I started playing Shadowgrounds first and immediately fell in love with it. Unfortunately, after an hour of playing the game started freezing for periods of time until it crashed completely and I wasn't able to start it again on my OS X 10.9. Survivor only showed black window upon start up from Steam. When I browsed these forums for support, I found out that source code is available for both games, so naturally I searched for a community project which maintains these games and guess what? There is none!

The only person who began fixing the code was Vasiliy Yeremeyev at Github, but it seems he is either taking a very long break from it or he abandoned his project. He did all the heavy lifting by creating CMake build script which makes S+S relatively easy to compile on all platforms, so I forked his repo. I added a quick and dirty OS X build support and compiled everything. However, the result is even more buggy and crash-prone than the official release. I will have to bisect the commits and see if Vasiliy hasn't made a mistake somewhere, but from a quick look it seems the problem lies in the original open-sourced code from Frozenbyte.

It is an extremely rare occasion when a game (engine) of such quality is open-sourced, so I decided to do my best and continue Vasiliy's work on an unofficial patch here:

Repository: https://github.com/JanSimek/shadowgrounds

My humble goal is to make both games playable from start to finish without a crash. It is a huge task for a single amateur programmer, so any help and advice is appreciated. New contributors are welcome.

Planned features

It will probably take a decade just to fix the crashes, but if by some miracle I/we succeed, these are things I would like work on next:

• merge Shadowgrounds and Survivor duplicated code
    • essentially upgrade Shadowgrounds to the Survivor engine
  • extend modding and scripting possibilities
    • IMHO Frozenbyte made huge a mistake by not focusing more on this, they would have had a much larger community for these games - I imagine Alien mod would have done for Shadowgrounds what DayZ did for ARMA
  • port the Level Editor to Qt
    • adds multiplatform and plugin support
  • replace NVIDIA PhysX with Bullet physics engine (ok, I am starting to fall into a dreamland here, better stop now)

doctorpuppet

Re: Unofficial patch for Shadowgrounds and Survivor

Postby doctorpuppet » Mon May 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Well, this sounds exciting! Have you been continuing this project?

How feasible do you think it would be to add checkpoints/savepoints within levels (from which you could continue after quitting the game)? Some of these levels are just way too long to do in one sitting, when one has other things going on.

Radegast

Postby Radegast » Mon May 05, 2014 6:50 pm

I haven't had time to work on this project since the announcement, but I will revive it in June. There is another guy who ported the engine to SDL 2, so I will start by merging his changes which should make stuff easier for me (or not).

doctorpuppet wrote:How feasible do you think it would be to add checkpoints/savepoints within levels (from which you could continue after quitting the game)? Some of these levels are just way too long to do in one sitting, when one has other things going on.

Sure. You can submit a feature request for this or any other ideas you have at the bug tracker.

doctorpuppet

Postby doctorpuppet » Mon May 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Great! I'll submit that suggestion, then.

In the meantime, could you please let me know where I might find more info on the other port mod you just mentioned?

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”