Level Editor FAQ / general comments

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Level Editor FAQ / general comments

Postby fb_joel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi folks,

I will update this post soon with more details on the Level Editor but in the mean time feel free to ask some questions.

Cheers,
Joel
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:43 am

You asked it :P

How long is soon?

Are there going to be support for other file formats than Lightwave?

zokier

questions, questions,...

Postby zokier » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:52 pm

What you can actually do with the editor? Edit terrain and add lightwave-models on it? Edit the scripts? How many features of the engine/editor is going to be documented?
Any comments on this: http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/forum/ ... .php?t=258 ?(it seems like the germans are getting more info!! ;)) Are you going to implent somekind of modmanaging system to the game, or keep the data-zipfile thing? its kinda impractical if there is going to be many mods..

...and the most important one: When? ;)

hope to hear from you guys...holding my breath while hacking around with data1...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:37 pm

The official date is "April", but that most likely means early April. So a few more weeks to wait...

Right now I'm not sure if we'll even release the LightWave exporter in the first editor release package. I doubt there'd be many people who have the program/experience...

Anyway, check http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php ... =0&thold=0 to read the official PR and see the 4 screenshots.

zokier wrote:What you can actually do with the editor? Edit terrain and add lightwave-models on it? Edit the scripts? How many features of the engine/editor is going to be documented?
Any comments on this: http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/forum/ ... .php?t=258 ?(it seems like the germans are getting more info!! ;)) Are you going to implent somekind of modmanaging system to the game, or keep the data-zipfile thing? its kinda impractical if there is going to be many mods...

Documentation will not be 100% in the beginning, but I plan to write/re-write a good chunk, so that the basics are explained.

You can actually do everything that we did in Shadowgrounds, except use big buildings. We have a set of building blocks (as seen in the screenshots), and they should be quite nice. Scripts are totally editable and you can actually do quite a lot with the scripts if you want to.

There will be a "modmanaging system", which basically means that the Launcher will have a mod launcher, and each mod will be zipped into one big zip (same as the Data zips). They'll have their own directory and so on. It should be a pretty good system.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:10 pm

I just have to say that editor looks more easier than Valve's level editor if you have tried that then you know on what I'm talking about but I haven't yet tested this shadowgroungs' editor so as is said: "Exterior features can be misleading."

zokier

Postby zokier » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:28 pm

thanks fb_joel, sounds great!

Cr4ppen0g

Postby Cr4ppen0g » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Will it be possible to edit the weapons somehow?

well if yes, i may try to do a doom mod for this game, because it would be hella funny to play down from top view :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Cr4ppen0g wrote:Will it be possible to edit the weapons somehow?
Good question... too good even, because I don't know the answer. 8) I think it's possible to do lots of tweaking (bullet amounts, fire rates etc) but otherwise I'm not sure.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:47 am

Hows it going on the editor?

what happend to the beta test?

aint there no other program then Lightwave 3D that can be used? i dont have 800$ to buy it :shock:
Game of the year 2006 :D

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:33 pm

I don't know the details about the beta tests... Joel should know more about that, so I'll just skip that part.

You can still make new missions even without lightwave.

What you cannot do without lightwave, is new enemies and characters (new models and animations) and new complex buildings.

Note, that you can still create new characters/enemies if you're happy with just modifying the character/enemy textures. Also, you can make simple buildings with the supplied building blocks using the editor.

(Note, the "simple" and "complex" are some pretty vague definitions...) ;)

Defining what exactly you will and won't be able to do without lightwave would be a long list with a lot of long detailed explanations. (At least I don't have the time for that right now.)

And lightwave is indeed the only supported modeling/animation program at the moment.

And finally quoting Joel...

Right now I'm not sure if we'll even release the LightWave exporter in the first editor release package.

Meaning that lightwave may not be of much use at the moment anyway. (maybe a bit later on).

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:42 pm

fb_jpk wrote:And lightwave is indeed the only supported modeling/animation program at the moment.

I take that as there will be update to support other file formats. .3ds and .obj anyone? :)

FloridaVillas

Cheap Florida Villas

Postby FloridaVillas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:39 pm

spam removed (-joel)

sober

Postby sober » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:51 pm

what is this nonsense ?! erase it please !

SLander

Postby SLander » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:22 pm

If I make a model for the game with blender, and then export it with blender's lightwave exporter to .lwo. Can I then export it to suitable format for shadowgrounds with somekind of exporter, without using lightwave?

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:57 pm

SLander wrote:If I make a model for the game with blender, and then export it with blender's lightwave exporter to .lwo. Can I then export it to suitable format for shadowgrounds with somekind of exporter, without using lightwave?

I hope you could. It would be very usefull :) . that way everyone could make models for shadow gounds
Facts can be changed.

SLander

Postby SLander » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:22 pm

Well I think the only question is, does frozenbyte have an exporter to export lightwave models into format used in game. Or do they use exporter plugin in lightwave.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 pm

Unfortunately, it's an exporter plugin for lightwave. So there is no command line tool or anything alike to convert the lightwave files to Shadowgrounds...

Of course, it might not be such a big task to make a command line tool (with support for simple models, no animations), so who knows what is going to happen...

In other words, at least for now, you will need Lightwave.

sober

Postby sober » Tue May 02, 2006 1:08 am

Will it be possible for mods to have more levels than original game, 20 for example? And what if I wanted the game to "save game" somewhere in the middle of a level, is it posible? Whats the max number of saves the game supports?
Thanks!

zokier

Postby zokier » Tue May 02, 2006 11:08 am

sober wrote:Will it be possible for mods to have more levels than original game, 20 for example? And what if I wanted the game to "save game" somewhere in the middle of a level, is it posible? Whats the max number of saves the game supports?
Thanks!

I think that its possible to save in any place, but the amount of saves is limited to the current number. But the problem is that your position etc is not saved, only the amount of weapons and some other stuff. So basically its useless in middle of a level.
It seems that you can have more levels, but also then the limited amount of saves would be a problem. So you cant have a save between each level, or you have to overwrite some saves.

But I'm just a stupid betatester, theres probably some stuff i dont know about :roll:
fb_joel wrote:Hehe, you're a little haxor, aren't you. :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 02, 2006 3:24 pm

sober wrote:Will it be possible for mods to have more levels than original game, 20 for example? And what if I wanted the game to "save game" somewhere in the middle of a level, is it posible? Whats the max number of saves the game supports?
Thanks!

Tough questions. It's possible to have any number of levels, but there will always be only 11 save slots. So indeed you have to overwrite earlier levels etc. But 11 should be enough, right? 8)

It's (probably) not possible to save mid-level in mods. If you want to create one big level, then I recommend that you simply divide it into two levels. Just have a good "checkpoint" somewhere in the level, in a place where the player has to go and can't skip it.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Thu May 04, 2006 12:09 am

what adress should i send bugg reports about the editor to, or should i post them on the forum?

Game of the year 2006 :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 04, 2006 11:18 am

Make a new thread about it/them. If you have a lot of small general bugs, make one thread, but if there's a couple of biggers problems perhaps with screenshots, then make separate threads.

I don't know how many "bugs" we will be able to fix but we'll see...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

new_vision

Postby new_vision » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:36 am

Anything new about the level editor final? I thought about asking for the beta, but as someone stated, the final version should be out last week, or the start of the current week. I'm really excited and want to start my ideas of a full conversion - so: Bring me some good news please. If the final should be delayed further would anyone please be so kind and provide me the link to the beta version of the editor?

Greetings,
nv

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm

It will be released this week.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

new_vision

Postby new_vision » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 pm

That's great to hear. Still looking forward! ;)

nv

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”